LDS Life Coaching

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Beachinmama

LDS Life Coaching

Post by Beachinmama » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:12 am

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here but thought I’d ask the NOM-er crowd for some input. Just a side note, I am no longer am a member of the church and haven’t been to church in years.

My question is this: Are there Life Coaches within the church who are contacting folks who’ve left, or seem to be lost and not living up to their life potential? Kind of a Tony Robbins type of thing, but you can do it over the phone with a coach? Is life coaching one of those Mormon-y things they do in the church?

Out of the blue I was contacted by a former missionary I knew years ago and he shared with me his new coaching endeavor. I took him up on his offer of a free session and it all seemed pretty much a power of positive thinking pep talk. I started wondering is this something through the church. My sessions were being recorded so it raised a little bitty flag. It wasn’t a big red flag like OMG! Creepy! It was more of a pink flag telling me... Okay Beachymomma, this isn’t really your gig. I don’t know, it just felt... off. That and the cost was very expensive.

I am not defective, depressed, a weirdo, or suicidal. I’ve always been an introvert and a bit quirky, overly sensitive, and sometimes even neurotic, but hey, it’s what makes me....me.

Isn’t it okay to just be moderately covered in emotional rust stains? You know, for a little character n stuff. Is soliciting folk for emotional help a good idea? I mean it can make you feel like you’re being sought out or targeted because your not all bright and shiny with zero regrets, hurts and frustrations.

I like my sensitive coo coo -ness.

Wonderment

Re: LDS Life Coaching

Post by Wonderment » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Isn’t it okay to just be moderately covered in emotional rust stains? You know, for a little character n stuff. Is soliciting folk for emotional help a good idea? I mean it can make you feel like you’re being sought out or targeted because your not all bright and shiny with zero regrets, hurts and frustrations.
Good question. :) The church is always interested in re-activating former members, and plenty of inactive members have been designated as "projects" by the bishop or Ward Council. However, IMO, this person you knew years ago contacted you because he was starting a personal coaching business outside of church, and he was looking for a "warm market", as they say in the multi-level marketing business. He was looking to pitch his business to people he already knew -- probably neighbors, friends, relatives, people he met at church, and so forth. He didn't want to do "cold calling'", so he went through his address book from years past and looked up old friends.

Usually, if the attempt to re-activate is being sponsored by the church or directed by the bishop, it will involve some kind of invitation to participate in a church activity, or invitation to attend a meeting, or some event at church. JMO -- Wndr.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:43 pm

“Life Coaching”. What a scam. Why should I think a “life coach” knows more about how I should live my life than I do?

Life coach = snake oil salesman.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Beachinmama

Post by Beachinmama » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Thank You, Wonderment. I think you’re probably spot on with this curiosity I’ve had. I appreciate your feedback.

This particular former missionary who is starting up his life coaching endevour is really very nice, outgoing, and extremely positive about life in general. He’ll probably be very successful at it.
I’m a bit sensitive and insecure about my uniqueness and feel people would like to see me change so it makes me get anxious and a bit hesitant.

Thank you again, Wonderment. :)

alas

Post by alas » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:43 pm
“Life Coaching”. What a scam. Why should I think a “life coach” knows more about how I should live my life than I do?

Life coach = snake oil salesman.
In some states it can be a scam as it is totally unregulated any anyone can put a sign on their door that says life coach and charge $300 per hour.

In other states, it is kind of a sub category of counseling and the person needs a degree in something like psychology, they require testing, and licensing . It started as a specialty form of psychology working with pretty mentally healthy people who just needed some specialized psych work, such as athletes with anxiety, say an ice skater who gets so anxious in competition that they blow it while they are great in practice sessions. Then it became sort of a fad for getting ahead in whatever. It is the fad part where you have to be careful. They basically just sell pop psychology and feel good, motivational stuff.

So, depending on where you live, you may get a PhD psychologist who got tired of sickos and wanted to work with “normal people”, or you may get somebody with no specialized training at all.

I think Wonderment is correct and he is just trying to set up his business, or maybe he is still in some kind of internship for licensing and has to record sessions for a supervisor. But I highly doubt it has any thing to do with the church.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:00 pm

I’m a bit sensitive and insecure about my uniqueness and feel people would like to see me change so it makes me get anxious and a bit hesitant.
Here's a story about something kind of similar that happened to me. One time I got an e-mail from a gal at church who wrote that she was starting a home-based business as a "weight-loss, nutrition, and beauty consultant." She invited me to her "launch party" for her multi-level marketing company's line of low-calorie shakes, nutrition bars, and botanically-based, organic, parabens-free makeup. She wrote, "You'll be amazed at much better you feel and look !"

Immediately I was worried and thought to myself, "Gosh, everyone must be talking about me and saying that I need to lose weight and improve my appearance. I need to remember to exercise every day and put on full-face makeup whenever I go to the supermarket, because I never know who I'm going to run into at the supermarket. Oh, dear. Oh, dear." :roll: I was, as they say, "shook".

Then I found out that she had invited almost every gal she knew to the "launch party." She invited even the most slender, most beautiful women -- ladies who were always perfectly turned out at church with perfect hair, perfect makeup, etc. She just sent out an e-mail blast to everyone. But, for awhile I was thinking of Hinckley's comment some decades back, "Even a barn looks better painted", :roll: and I thought for sure that I was the target. So, Beachinmama, I can sure relate.

P.S. Welcome to NOM ! Best ward ever. :D :D :D

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:44 pm

Welcome back beachinmama. It sure is good to see you around again.

About life coaching - in some circles, yes, it is a thing. Some well known podcasters and psychologists/therapists are setting up coaching practices to help the disaffected Mormon crowd. I don’t know how widespread it is beyond Utah and or Facebook though. Dealing with a faith crisis and believing family members can be stressful and these are people offering support and suggestions. I guess you just have to do your research to find out if it is legit or not.

I had NOM for free therapy when I needed it.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Everyone I know seems to be a life/health/wellness/ success coach. Most have zero credentials.

No one I know seems to be succeeding, and they keep selling MLM junk and constantly looking for an angle up get people to buy in... "partnering with my sister now!" "Secret facebook group only for my customers!" Etc etc.

Those of us that are credentialed health providers that bill insurance and are licensed by a governing body seem to stay plenty busy without advertising. Hmmmm....

Beachinmama

Post by Beachinmama » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 am

Thank you all for the feedback. It has been very helpful and brought much relief to my insecurities.

My concerns about being brought back to the fold are put to rest along with being sought out because I may seem a bit nutters.

It’s great to hear from familiar people again. :)

Beachinmama

Post by Beachinmama » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:12 am
Life coach? Really? Unless someone is going to teach me how to retire at 42 or lay tile smoother then I would have no use for their "coaching." This is by far the scammiest scam I have ever heard of.
The best life coach you can have is a pet. Dog, cat, fish... I love how they listen to you without judgement and it’s totally free of charge.

I wish you much happiness, Blashyrkh, and an early retirement. :) Thanks