We Thank Thee o God for Trump

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Korihor

We Thank Thee o God for Trump

Post by Korihor » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:00 pm

To Rule us in these latter-days

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=42658694&nid=148

MOTAB is singing for Trump inaguration. I don't really care, but I find this interesting. The LDS church is simply entrenching itself deeper in the political arena with this move. Trump went on a 'Thank you America" tour, originally planning to visit Utah. Maybe this is to make up for nixing Utah.

I just find this kinda odd, like one of these things is not like the other.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: We Thank Thee o God for Trump

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:04 pm

They sang for Democrat LBJ too. I don't think they care so long as the motab gets exposure. Trump on the otherhand might be using this as a way to get some publicity around those who so ardently opposed him initially. It's a way to show he conquered the opposing mormons and brought them to his side. Sort of like what he did with the Romney and the secretary of state interviews.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:54 pm

It's got to be a security move.

I mean who is going to harm Trump if he's surrounded by 306 garment wearing Mormons?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:59 pm

They couldn't find anyone else who wanted to support such a philanderer.

(Philanderer refers to Trump in this case, not Joseph Smith. Either way, MoTab is IN! :D )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:39 pm

Were Donny and Marie already booked?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:09 pm

deacon blues wrote:Were Donny and Marie already booked?
Marie is no longer hot enough to sing from Trump.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:57 am

It is rare when I feel like defending the church, but I do when it comes to this. Let's not forget that LDS Republican politicians in general were far bolder in opposing Mr. Trump than most of their Evangelical counterparts. There was a pretty good op-ed in the Huffington Post about this IIRC.

When Ronald Reagan called the MTC "America's Choir" he was acknowledging what a substantial number of Americans already felt; the MTC is an American institution. As such, it has the power to transcend our divisive politics and to symbolize our enduring struggle to live up to the ideals of justice, liberty, and democracy we strive for as a nation. This nation is bigger than one screwy election, and for me the MTC with its long established tradition of patriotic performances is a symbol of that.
President Newsroom wrote:. . . NOT AN IMPLIED SUPPORT OF PARTY AFFILIATIONS OR POLITICS. IT IS A DEMONSTRATION OF OUR SUPPORT FOR FREEDOM, CIVILITY, AND THE PEACEFUL TRANSITION OF POWER
I am inclined to take President Newsroom at his word on this one. Mr. Trump's apparent lack of moral character must have been hard to stomach for many of the brethren, so I accept that they would have based this decision on big picture considerations.

BTW, I talked to a MTC member who said that the whole choir will not be going, so there will be plenty of opportunity for those with strong "never Trump" sentiments to opt out.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

tearjerker

Post by tearjerker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Jan Chamberlain...choir member of over 5 years posted her letter of resignation from the choir over the issue of singing for the inauguration. An eloquent letter led to 90% positive reaction from respondents on fb, including many choir members. There were, of course, several who took exception to her posting the letter online, and responses got angry and heated.

I will try post a link tomorrow. I had a 45 minute train ride home from work...and didn't finish reading all the discussion by the time I was home.

If the Rockettes can be concerned about an association with Trump...the church should have given greater consideration to their appearance there.

With online petitions over 16000 now calling for the church to decline the invitation, this could become a very controversial decision by the powers that be.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:22 am

DPRoberts wrote:It is rare when I feel like defending the church, but I do when it comes to this. Let's not forget that LDS Republican politicians in general were far bolder in opposing Mr. Trump than most of their Evangelical counterparts. There was a pretty good op-ed in the Huffington Post about this IIRC.

When Ronald Reagan called the MTC "America's Choir" he was acknowledging what a substantial number of Americans already felt; the MTC is an American institution. As such, it has the power to transcend our divisive politics and to symbolize our enduring struggle to live up to the ideals of justice, liberty, and democracy we strive for as a nation. This nation is bigger than one screwy election, and for me the MTC with its long established tradition of patriotic performances is a symbol of that.
President Newsroom wrote:. . . NOT AN IMPLIED SUPPORT OF PARTY AFFILIATIONS OR POLITICS. IT IS A DEMONSTRATION OF OUR SUPPORT FOR FREEDOM, CIVILITY, AND THE PEACEFUL TRANSITION OF POWER
I am inclined to take President Newsroom at his word on this one. Mr. Trump's apparent lack of moral character must have been hard to stomach for many of the brethren, so I accept that they would have based this decision on big picture considerations.

BTW, I talked to a MTC member who said that the whole choir will not be going, so there will be plenty of opportunity for those with strong "never Trump" sentiments to opt out.
DPRoberts, I respect your opinion, and have in many discussions, but I do differ with you on this and am less inclined to view President Newsroom's explanation quite so charitably. The MoTab have ulterior motives in performing - it isn't about demonstrating "support for freedom, civility, and the peaceful transition of power". Of course it isn't. It's about having a missionary opportunity. This is one more marketing tool to the Church, nothing less, and nothing more. We have a supposedly worldwide Church, if the Choir is all that worried about "freedom, civility, and the peaceful transition of power" they ought to be performing at the inauguration of every democratically elected government the world over.

This is a high-profile event for them. The world will be watching. They couldn't care less if the President-elect is a repulsive pig and who he denigrates - they see a marketing opportunity and they are going to take it regardless.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:37 am

Not Buying It wrote:This is a high-profile event for them. The world will be watching. They couldn't care less if the President-elect is a repulsive pig and who he denigrates - they see a marketing opportunity and they are going to take it regardless.
Maybe they believe it will increase revenues at the Lord's Mall?
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Zadok

Post by Zadok » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:44 pm

They will have one of those culture-hall tables set up on the parade route, selling tab choir CD's to help defray the cost of the trip.
If I'm a bird, why can't I fly?

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:26 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
DPRoberts wrote:It is rare when I feel like defending the church, but I do when it comes to this. Let's not forget that LDS Republican politicians in general were far bolder in opposing Mr. Trump than most of their Evangelical counterparts. There was a pretty good op-ed in the Huffington Post about this IIRC.

DPRoberts, I respect your opinion, and have in many discussions, but I do differ with you on this and am less inclined to view President Newsroom's explanation quite so charitably. The MoTab have ulterior motives in performing - it isn't about demonstrating "support for freedom, civility, and the peaceful transition of power". Of course it isn't. It's about having a missionary opportunity. This is one more marketing tool to the Church, nothing less, and nothing more. We have a supposedly worldwide Church, if the Choir is all that worried about "freedom, civility, and the peaceful transition of power" they ought to be performing at the inauguration of every democratically elected government the world over.

This is a high-profile event for them. The world will be watching. They couldn't care less if the President-elect is a repulsive pig and who he denigrates - they see a marketing opportunity and they are going to take it regardless.
I doubt we differ by much. The MTC is run by the missionary department and it's singers are all set apart as missionaries, so of course that is the overarching goal of everything the choir does. I think what I was trying to say is that there are aspects of choir's identity that go beyond that goal, and which the church will gladly exploit for its own purposes when the opportunity presents itself. That said I think this might also be a case where the church leaders are motivated to believe their own spin, given how distasteful the President-elect is.

Thank you for disagreeing so respectfully. I value the discussion and would hate for this place to be an echo chamber.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:58 am

DPRoberts wrote:I doubt we differ by much. The MTC is run by the missionary department and it's singers are all set apart as missionaries, so of course that is the overarching goal of everything the choir does. I think what I was trying to say is that there are aspects of choir's identity that go beyond that goal, and which the church will gladly exploit for its own purposes when the opportunity presents itself. That said I think this might also be a case where the church leaders are motivated to believe their own spin, given how distasteful the President-elect is.

Thank you for disagreeing so respectfully. I value the discussion and would hate for this place to be an echo chamber.
I had really hoped I was respectful enough, sounds as though you and I are really on the same page anyway.

And I agree with your thoughts about the echo chamber - it's usually not a good thing when everyone agrees on everything all the time.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:05 pm

President Newsroom wrote:IT IS A DEMONSTRATION OF OUR SUPPORT FOR FREEDOM, CIVILITY, AND THE PEACEFUL TRANSITION OF POWER
We need to keep this in mind when the choir sings, "Praise to the Man who communes with Vladimir Putin".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Jackie Evancho (America's Operatic Teen Sensation), the venerable Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and now a third unknown musical group the Putinaires. What a shindig. #TheDonald
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:24 am

Singer Jennifer Holliday has pulled out of the Trumpalloosa, but the Mormon Piano Guys will be going in and playing stirring patriotic songs with their pianos and cellos, in order to fill her shoes. The inauguration will send a clear message that no matter how distasteful the politics, you can count on Mormon performers to help make your Triumph of the Spirit something to please everyone in the Fatherland. When The Donald and Melania Trump make their debut, the Piano Guys will be on hand to play "Hail to the Chief". When Eric Trump and his date make the walk down the grand staircase, the Piano Guys will have a rousing version of Mack the Knife.
-- Moksha