Really living the Word of Wisdom

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
larecherche

Really living the Word of Wisdom

Post by larecherche » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:50 am

I've been thinking that I really want to live the Word of Wisdom. More specifically, I want to identify the underlying principles and apply those to my life. The specifics as currently defined by the church seem arbitrary and based on really old opinions.

So what is the Word of Wisdom, really? I'm not about to start feeding rye to chickens and tobacco to cows, or bathe in alcohol, or make sure to only eat fruit that is in season. I'm also going to try to find a healthy balance of carbs, fats, and protein instead of eating as much wheat and as little meat as possible. Kellogg and Graham were also a bit nuts, and I don't want to follow anything resembling their logic.

So is there anything left in section 89 that makes sense? No tobacco or alcohol? Then again, even alcohol can be fine in moderation.

Here's what I'm thinking: if I do my best to plan healthy meals, avoid overeating, stop snacking, and get regular exercise then I will be doing my best to follow the Word of Wisdom.

1smartdodog

Re: Really living the Word of Wisdom

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:05 am

Eat sensible, get some sleep and plenty of exercise is always the best.

The word of wisdom was extracted from the notions of its day. Lake alcohol (except beer) is bad. Some of it is correct some is not. I would pay more attention to science of nitrition than religious concepts on this subject.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Also, many studies have shown that regular, moderate wine is good for you as well. So per D&C 89:6, you should brew your own wine to drink on a regular basis. :mrgreen:
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Always fun to take swipes at the W of W.

My favorite is meat- "to be used sparingly". " Hey Marge, it looks like a famine is here- light up the barbie". That's choice, like there's going to be all

this meat around during a famine. The people dying of hunger today, everyday, now- think they have meat to eat? Many people are so poor that they

live their entire life and never eat meat because they cannot afford it. Ever been to a ward get together in the summer when meat was not served?

There are things in the section that make sense, but for crying out loud- how does a thing that come right out in the beginning saying that it is not given as a commandment- become a commandment? Answer: Make the people pay to get in the temple so that they can go to the highest degree of the Celestial kingdom. Pay to play- but call it "blessings".

Every religion is short on money. Why is that? They always- always want more money. Always.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:59 pm

larecherche wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:50 am
... in moderation ...
^ That's what I try to follow. Not saying that I'm good at it, but try I do. (Sorry Yoda.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:38 pm
Also, many studies have shown that regular, moderate wine is good for you as well. So per D&C 89:6, you should brew your own wine to drink on a regular basis. :mrgreen:
I hate to be "that guy" (well, sometimes I like it ;) ) but every weight lifting study I've ever read has advised against ever drinking alcohol. I'm not a biochemistry expert by any means, so take it for what it's worth. And yea, I'm too lazy to link anything, I'm just suggesting that "good for you" may have different meanings in different contexts, I guess.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:02 pm

My physician says I should cut carbs out of my diet. Carbs are apparently the root of all evil, plus they are addictive and fattening. An extremely low carb diet sounds like a hard to follow word of wisdom.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:47 pm

larecherche wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:50 am
Here's what I'm thinking: if I do my best to plan healthy meals, avoid overeating, stop snacking, and get regular exercise then I will be doing my best to follow the Word of Wisdom.
That would be wiser than what's in the Word of Wisdom. Oh yeah, boil your water.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:47 pm
Oh yeah, boil your water.
Ya know what? Part of creating fermented mild barley drinks includes boiling the liquid (mostly water.)

Just sayin'...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

larecherche

Post by larecherche » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:43 am

Isn't it just a little bit ridiculous? The Word of Wisdom is an identity marker, but we mostly ignore it to enforce an officially interpreted version of it.

I'm not planning on drinking beer (it's better for your health not to, I don't need to drink my carbs, and drinking can be an expensive habit), but it is definitely on the good list in D&C 89.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 pm

My personal take is that I would love to live where I can grow my own food - then I'd be eating food in season. But if I preserved my own food (drying it, bottling it), I think that would be fine, too (the designing men it talks about could fit the manufacturers of today, in my opinion, who corrupt our food and make it less healthy, even creating food out of what isn't really food).

Some people think that where it talks about eating grain, that it means eating that in times of famine. That makes sense, since grain lasts forever if it is stored properly. Also, eating meat in times of cold or famine makes sense if you can go out and kill a deer or something to eat when food is scarce. But there are a lot of people who are wheat-intolerant.

Larecherche, your plan sounds good. I think I would add making sure you eat plenty of vegetables, as well as some fruit.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:24 pm

I have a different perspective on the WoW. It actually came.from talking with an Adventist. He ultimately made the point that, if we know something is bad we should avoid it. Even if it is not outlined scripturally.
I really wish there was a bigger push for looking at the intent and spirit of the law, rather than the letter of the law.

I think one real reason for the delineation of coffee, tea, alcohol, and tobacco was Brigham was worried the Saints would go bankrupt during the early years in the Valley. They were spending so much importing in those products when many were at the brink of starvation. For the "temporal salvation."
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:30 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:02 pm
My physician says I should cut carbs out of my diet. Carbs are apparently the root of all evil, plus they are addictive and fattening. An extremely low carb diet sounds like a hard to follow word of wisdom.
I don't see carbs as the enemy, just the type of carbs. Sugar and starch is not good, but lots of veggies and certain grains.

I remember learning about keto like diets and thinking maybe I should go no carb, high fat?

Then I read about plant based, it was, no meat, moderate protein, low fat, lots of veggies. And that beef produces excessive amounts of methane green house gases.

The one thing the two sides agreed on was absolutely no sugar. Seems to be chemically set our brains off like a drug.

That has been my goal. Less sugar, less processed starches/grains. I am good until my neighbors hit me up for Girl Scout cookies...
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens