Australian article on worthiness interviews

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.

redjay

Re: Australian article on worthiness interviews

Post by redjay » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:30 am

DW and I were discussing this week of the absurdity of 'worthiness interviews'.

Even without personal sexualised questions, the very idea of an adult interviewing another adult or child to determine worthiness is nuts. It's just not psychologically healthy.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 pm

And yet, redjay, it made perfect sense to me as a tbm because I was raised with it. Even now, I struggle to see how infantilizing it is.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Those two men look like twins. In fact, when I looked at the first photo, I thought it was the same person (double exposure).
The Mormons have just over 60,000 adherents in Australia, according to 2016 Census data.
I'm surprised. I thought they had more members there.

I find my son's words to be classic. I've shared this before on the old NOM, and maybe here, but the bishop wanted him to be ordained a teacher (because he was old enough to be a priest, but I hadn't pushed anything on him). He passed the interview and I asked him, "Does the bishop know you got arrested for underage drinking?" He replied, "My personal life is none of their business." At that moment, he became my hero.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:23 pm

Random wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:44 pm
Those two men look like twins. In fact, when I looked at the first photo, I thought it was the same person (double exposure).
The Mormons have just over 60,000 adherents in Australia, according to 2016 Census data.

I find my son's words to be classic. I've shared this before on the old NOM, and maybe here, but the bishop wanted him to be ordained a teacher (because he was old enough to be a priest, but I hadn't pushed anything on him). He passed the interview and I asked him, "Does the bishop know you got arrested for underage drinking?" He replied, "My personal life is none of their business." At that moment, he became my hero.
What??? And the Bishop didn't receive an impression that there was some misrepresentation going on there?

That Bishop possibly wasn't living as close to the spirit as he should. So I guess everyone is even. 🙃
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Random

Post by Random » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:52 am

:lol:

Discernment seems to be sadly lacking many times.

(This bishop was a nice guy. Meant well, cared about the people in his ward. In fact, when my son wanted to get a patriarchal blessing, the bishop warned him to take the plugs out of his ears before he went. Later, ds's uncle (my ex-bil) who was the patriarch's friend, told him the patriarch had told him that if ds had worn his plugs he (patriarch) would have refused to give him the blessing. At that point, ds lost all interest in the blessing, and I think that was the final turning point with him being done with the church.)

PK

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 am

Palerider wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:23 pm
Random wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:44 pm

What??? And the Bishop didn't receive an impression that there was some misrepresentation going on there?

That Bishop possibly wasn't living as close to the spirit as he should. So I guess everyone is even. 🙃
Officially the Church counts 150,000+ members. However, as per stats only 60,000 identify as members on the census. Not bad.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:11 am

no1saint wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 am
Officially the Church counts 150,000+ members. However, as per stats only 60,000 identify as members on the census. Not bad.
40% actually claim membership? Much better than the 25-30% in the US and most of the rest of the world.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Random

Post by Random » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:02 pm

no1saint wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 am
I suspected as much. Thanks for verifying.

PK