Your Random LDS Questions

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Your Random LDS Questions

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:55 am

Do any of you have random LDS-related questions you would like to share and hopefully the knowledgable people on this forum could answer it for you? Or for you, gospel experts, do you have a question to stump the rest of us?

I will start: Will LDS people accrue Celestial Kingdom demerits for eating green tea ice cream?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Re: Your Random LDS Questions

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:55 am
I will start: Will LDS people accrue Celestial Kingdom demerits for eating green tea ice cream?
According to urban legend, David O. McKay said you can eat all of the tea, coffee and alcohol you would like. Section 89 states that you are not supposed to drink those substances.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:47 am

moksha wrote:
Do any of you have random LDS-related questions you would like to share and hopefully the knowledgable people on this forum could answer it for you? Or for you, gospel experts, do you have a question to stump the rest of us?

Oh...I just had a little shudder and a small wave of nausea when I read " green tea ice cream"....😝
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:48 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 am
According to urban legend, David O. McKay said you can eat all of the tea, coffee and alcohol you would like. Section 89 states that you are not supposed to drink those substances.
Ah, yes, quoting from the great prophet, Urban Legend. Elder Legend was often accused of "speaking as a man", but believers quote him frequently. I think we can be assured of Elder Legend's divine calling based solely on how often his quotes appear in sacrament meeting talks at a ward near you.

In all seriousness(?), I have a nephew who wrote home to the general family while he was a missionary. He had an investigator who was held back from baptism solely by her habit of drinking tea. My nephew asked the family how herbal tea was defined so he could direct this woman in the paths of righteouness leading unto an LDS baptism. I wrote to him privately and told him that neither tea nor herbal tea were defined at all in LDS doctrine. I did not quote Elder Urban Legend by name, but I did tell my nephew that his investigator should simply tell her LDS bishop and friends that she drinks herbal tea no matter what variant of Camellia Sinensis is actually steeped in her cup. Surely these are really not the weighty matters of the law.

I am fairly certain that my advice worked which may condemn my conscience since I helped someone join the LDS church. But no other respondents in my family had a good answer and getting into a debate over the history and doctrine of D&C 89 was not going to help this poor woman.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:11 am

Palerider wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:47 am
Oh...I just had a little shudder and a small wave of nausea when I read " green tea ice cream"....😝
My daughter went to a foreign food store recently to get some mochi balls ice cream and she brought me a quart of green tea ice cream. Not bad, but it is not up there with espresso, dulce de leche, or boysenberry in terms of flavor. Good thing that the boysenberry was on the valiant list during the Heaven War.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:11 am
Palerider wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:47 am
My daughter went to a foreign food store recently to get some mochi balls ice cream and she brought me a quart of green tea ice cream. Not bad, but it is not up there with espresso, dulce de leche, or boysenberry in terms of flavor. Good thing that the boysenberry was on the valiant list during the Heaven War.
Unfortunately, I keep Breyers in business with the affliction of being a plain chocolate addict. Sometimes I spice things up with mint chocolate chip....😏

Very few people, (especially Mormon prophets), have received the revelation that cacao were the true forbidden fruit on the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

One has to have more than a rock in a hat, masquerading as a Urim and Thummim and a phony priesthood to gain access to that level of information.... :)

th.jpeg
th.jpeg (81.44 KiB) Viewed 9130 times
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Here's a legit question I asked in the RMN meets the Pope thread:

What happens if all 15 top COBlers parish in an unfortunate plane crash or some other "God needed them more than us." end of mortality demise? If all the beloved non-profits, seers and key holding revelators are no longer living, does the Q70 really still have all the keys to lay on hands and elect more of them?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:39 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm

What happens if all 15 top COBlers parish in an unfortunate plane crash or some other "God needed them more than us." end of mortality demise? If all the beloved non-profits, seers and key holding revelators are no longer living, does the Q70 really still have all the keys to lay on hands and elect more of them?
Someone really needs to dig into the articles of incorporation for the corporation to find out the real answer to this question. Who becomes the next CEO should be documented in there. ;)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

larecherche

Post by larecherche » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:04 pm

I've read that the Q70 could recreate the Q12 because D&C 20 says that they are equal in authority, which means that they also have all the keys.

Does that mean that the Stake High Councils also have all the keys? D&C 20 says that they are also equal in authority.

Maybe everybody has all the keys. I'll have to go check my drawer and see if they're there.

Ho Lee Turtle

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:12 pm

Here is random question. If Jesus could come down and atone for all persons, past present and future with one act, why can’t he (or someone already on earth like RMN) just be baptized, for and in behalf of, all those who are dead, and be done with it in one shot? Seems like it could work for the other temple stuff too and we could save a lot of money building temples and save even more time in doing the repetitive rituals.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:16 am

Palerider wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm
Very few people, (especially Mormon prophets), have received the revelation that cacao were the true forbidden fruit on the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
Even with that lofty heritage, the cocoa bean is able to exist peacefully (and without judgment) together with the coffee bean at the same latitude. If only religionists could emulate that graciousness.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:34 am

Ho Lee Turtle wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:12 pm
Here is random question. If Jesus could come down and atone for all persons, past present and future with one act, why can’t he (or someone already on earth like RMN) just be baptized, for and in behalf of, all those who are dead, and be done with it in one shot? Seems like it could work for the other temple stuff too and we could save a lot of money building temples and save even more time in doing the repetitive rituals.
STOP!!!!

You're being way to logical about this.

Besides, Heavenly Father WANTED us to return over and over and over to the temple as a constant reminder of our obligations to the church. It's like that monthly statement from the mortgage company on what's left owing on your home. Until that's paid off, in reality the church owns you. And they make sure that mortgage on your life will never be paid off. :|

George Washington

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am

Palerider wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:34 am
Besides, Heavenly Father WANTED us to return over and over and over to the temple as a constant reminder of our obligations to the church. It's like that monthly statement from the mortgage company on what's left owing on your home. Until that's paid off, in reality the church owns you. And they make sure that mortgage on your life will never be paid off. :|
You think you are simply be ironically funny, but the truth is in there. Believers would unintentionally agree the repeatedly performing temple ordinances has a sanctifying effect on the faithful temple patrons. Apostates would counter that the temple binds you to the social group and that could be a good thing (social cohesion) or a bad thing (colossal waste of time and money).

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:28 am

wtfluff wrote:
moksha wrote:
Dang. That means I have to give up my Sonic-route 44 diet green tea with a shot of raspberry?

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:33 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm

You would think someone at the COB watched that tv show Designated Survivor and made someone stay behind?

Oh! Oh! Oh! Maybe the RS Presidency could form a coup since they weren't allowed to travel with the men?

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:01 pm

I got a good one.

Before 1978, all black people were consigned to eternal servitude. But, we were also taught that children who die before the age of accountability, receive celestial glory AND exaltation.

If a black child died before 8 years old, prior to 1978, is he/she saved in exaltation, or not?

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:04 pm

The leaders of the church speak for God. "By my own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same."

So, when a leader like Joseph Fielding Smith talks about how people will be resurrected without their .... em .... parts? (think TKSMOOTHIE)...and it was published doctrinal commentary by The Prophet,...how does that reconcile with Proclamation of the Family, also published by The Prophet?

There is probably a disclaimer in the beginning of Answer To Gospel Questions that I'm missing....so this might not be as good of one.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Third question. According to the church,...WHAT IS DOCTRINE!?

I think it was Joseph Fielding Smith who said that if a GA said something that didn't square with the standard works, then it wasn't doctrine. And you have quotes by Brigham Young that are repeated that say "The prophet is more important than all the standard works."

So, what does the church actually say IS its doctrine?

What a question!!!! After being in the church for almost 45 years of my life,...I don't know what constitutes DOCTRINE! WOW...what a rush....I'm serious here.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:27 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:28 am
wtfluff wrote:
moksha wrote:
Dang. That means I have to give up my Sonic-route 44 diet green tea with a shot of raspberry?
Nah. As long as I'm quoting Elder Urban F. Legend, there are plenty of non D. O. McKay folks who say that as long as the word tea has some sort of qualifier before it (green, herbal, etc.) then it is OK to drink. (I believe the qualifier "black" is also a no-no.) Just in case, you could always make sure that the green tea is not "hot" also.

Disclaimer: Never mention any of Elder Legend's teachings to your bishop.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Random

Post by Random » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 pm

To the church, a thousand things are doctrine. In the Book of Mormon, doctrine seems to be defined, for the most part, as coming to Christ, repenting, and being baptized. See 2nd Nephi chapter 31 and 3rd Nephi 11:30-40. If the Book of Mormon was the foundation of their teachings, what they consider doctrine would be easier to figure out.

Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm
Third question. According to the church,...WHAT IS DOCTRINE!?

I think it was Joseph Fielding Smith who said that if a GA said something that didn't square with the standard works, then it wasn't doctrine. And you have quotes by Brigham Young that are repeated that say "The prophet is more important than all the standard works."

So, what does the church actually say IS its doctrine?

What a question!!!! After being in the church for almost 45 years of my life,...I don't know what constitutes DOCTRINE! WOW...what a rush....I'm serious here.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK