WoW pisses me off!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

WoW pisses me off!

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:38 am

Well,...I remember back in the day how the WoW was pushed so hard. I also remember reading it an wondering why no-one seems to obey it. I mean, I would go to the Ward Dinner, and the main food on the plate was a big slab of meat. And, there were people there who were anything but healthy,...and so I use to wonder. I mean, after all, this was FROM GOD HIMSELF!...right?

Now, fast forward some 30 years, and I find myself with various age related and other "born in inherited" health problems, some of which can be life threatening. So, I visit my cardiologist doctor and he prescribes--not suggest but PRESCRIBES--intermittent fasting and strict "clean" keto. The fasting part is pro-Christian,...but the LDS approach to fasting is NO WATER. That was pounded into my mind, which is another topic. Anyway,...while on keto I eat Fat and Meat...and avoid the "staff of life" wheat and all that other stuff.

And,...all of the sudden, I'm in the strange place of having to CUT BACK on the medications I've been taking for years. Why?...cuz the effing problems are lightening up and even vanishing. All the while I am DISOBEYING THE WOW TO GET THERE!

I'm pissed. JS was a d!ck!

<<rant over>>

Anyone have something similar?

jfro18

Re: WoW pisses me off!

Post by jfro18 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm

Here's what pisses me off about the WoW...

It was never a commandment! And so the church decides to make this an obedience test because they were forced to drop polygamy, and in the process have banned things that have since been proven healthy while neglecting the key thing that would've saved lived at the time - BOILING YOUR WATER.

The entire premise of the Word of Wisdom is flawed, and you can trace it back to what Joseph knew from the temperance movement.

My mom has gone through as many health problems as one can go through in the last 3-4 years (triple hit lymphoma, breast cancer, paralysis from the flu shot (can only move with help of a walker now), migraines, etc, etc).

As she has been trying to deal with all of these illnesses, her doctor told her to drink wine for something (I can't remember) and coffee to try and help with the migraines. That's not to say that wife/coffee are healthy or should be consumed every day... I get that. But it proves once again that the church's idea of health is based on the beliefs of a small group of people in the 1830s... not based on the advances in medical science today.

I can rant all day on this. I just wish the church would force members to do the WoW as Joseph originally intended which included hot soups.

So stupid.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:38 am
Anyone have something similar?
Absolutely.

All of this is completely anecdotal, but: Myself and a few of my siblings are getting to the point where all of those "age related" illnesses could / will kick in.

Those of us who more than likely followed the WoW are having more issues with those "illnesses" than the sibling who figured out the truth about LD$-Inc. 30 years ago and got out. I don't "know" how well the adherence to the WoW was for anyone but myself, but: We all inherited the same sh*y blood, shouldn't we all be dealing with the same ailments?

"Blah, blah blah, run and not be weary, walk and not faint?" Well, maybe, but I'll be dying of diabetes and heart disease (if the dementia doesn't get me first) so who cares? Thanks "mormon health code!"
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Having just reviewed the WOW with a fresh eye, it seems well intended in it's purpose but as usual, Joseph can't resist the temptation to decorate things up with a little crepe paper... :roll:

Since this is a "thus saith the Lord" revelation, Joseph has to go into his "god-speak" mode to make it sound poetic and authoritative at the same time.

In doing so the verbiage becomes sloppy and hard to follow. If this is really God speaking he must be a lousy linguist.

But I would agree that red meats shouldn't be over done and I tend to eat more fresh veggies in summer than winter.

I've never been fond of coffee. Just not my thing. And anyone trying to convince me that tobacco in smoking form is a good thing is just.....well you know....
Go ahead and use it as a medicinal poltice on your cow if you know what you're doing. ;)

I don't understand the going on about what different animals should be fed. Oats aren't particularly good for horses because they are a grass/hay based animal. But I don't see this as being critical to a horse's salvation. Perhaps a Bishop could address this in the Equine temple prep class and subsequent recommend interview.

The other area where Joseph/god makes his mistake is in linking this "word of wisdom" to promises that he can't keep.

Not smoking might reduce ones chances of getting cancer, but it's no guarantee. Too much overpromising and under delivery. Of course the church will find some way of blaming that on the members. Be prepared for a guilt trip.

Considering that this rev is always proclaimed as having miraculous foresight, I'm surprised that obesity isn't even given a mention. Because it seems to be a plague not only in society but especially in the church.

For a culture claiming to be dedicated to good health by revelation from God, Mormons seem to want to eat themselves into early graves along with having all of the accompanying problems associated with being overweight. I'm just under 6 feet tall and my wife and I had someone take a casual photo of us at a church function. Suddenly there was no escaping it. There I was in my mid-fifties looking like a Wally Chuck at 200 LBS.!

That did it for me. No more Mormon approach to eating. I drift around 180 nowadays and I feel so much better. :)

Now if the word of wisdom had just included a foresighted way to avoid dementia I might do pretty well heading into old age....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:09 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm
It was never a commandment!
God I hate the WOW!! It says right there at the beginning that it is not a commandment!! So what does Heber J. Grant do with the non-commandment that Jesus supposedly said was not a commandment? He makes it a commandment, of course! If you actually read the WOW it is nothing like the what the church teaches today. It is such a ridiculous mess. As one example, ice tea and Frappuccinos are somehow hot drinks and will keep you from your family forever but hot herb tea, hot soup and hot chocolate are not hot drinks and are fine.. who is coming up with this stuff? The WOW is such a great example in microcosm of the problem with the church as a whole. People just making crap up to serve their own ideas, and others mindlessly obeying and judging others over made up crap that really makes no sense whatsoever.

Sorry.. sorry.. done ranting. I just hate the WOW so much.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Coffee put my autoimmune disease into remission. Wine seems to be making my smile lines vanish. I drink both most days. I think my whole adult life would have been better with them in my life.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:22 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:45 pm
Coffee put my autoimmune disease into remission. Wine seems to be making my smile lines vanish. I drink both most days. I think my whole adult life would have been better with them in my life.
I agree totally.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:00 pm

Culper Jr. wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:09 pm
As one example, ice tea and Frappuccinos are somehow hot drinks and will keep you from your family forever but hot herb tea, hot soup and hot chocolate are not hot drinks and are fine.. who is coming up with this stuff? The WOW is such a great example in microcosm of the problem with the church as a whole.
That's an excellent point. It is exemplary of how LDS doctrine works. It drifts and morphs until it hardly bears any resemblance to the original source, and often doesn't make a lot of sense, but somehow we are taught to believe that it is beautiful in its simplicity and clarity.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

larecherche

Post by larecherche » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:11 am

I think that the gospel can be beautiful in it's simplicity and clarity, but LDS doctrine tacks on a whole lot of extra speculation, requirements, and contradictions.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:52 am

Thoughtful wrote:
If you don't mind my asking, which autoimmune disease? I ask because mine is rheumatoid arthritis, which coffee seems to work against during the day.

I've read some of the papers on the effects of coffee on health. They all seem to agree that the caffeine and antioxidants in coffee reduce pro-inflammatory markers in the blood, which reduces general inflammation.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:29 pm

How did keto work for you, if you don't mind me asking? It's all the rage here in Minnesota but I have yet to try it. I do the 35/35/30 split but TBH I do go low on the carbs more often than not. Also will be back to 6000 cal/day soon.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:38 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:52 am
Thoughtful wrote:
If you don't mind my asking, which autoimmune disease? I ask because mine is rheumatoid arthritis, which coffee seems to work against during the day.

I've read some of the papers on the effects of coffee on health. They all seem to agree that the caffeine and antioxidants in coffee reduce pro-inflammatory markers in the blood, which reduces general inflammation.
Hashimoto's and some lupus markers.

misterfake371

Post by misterfake371 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:24 pm

I'm so glad you're doing Keto! I believe we can all benefit from clean eating. I like "The Maker's Diet" by Jordan Rubin.

There are good parts to the WOW, and bad parts. The good parts are: abstaining from alcoholic beverages, abstaining from cocaine and heroine, etc. The bad parts are... the way a lot of Mormons actually eat, which is a lot of fast food and sugar and processed meat.

But if you read the first 3 verses of D & C 89, it says that the WOW was adapted for "the weakest of saints." In other words, "these are the minimum health requirements for those that call themselves Saints... but you should be even healthier."

So, yeah... Keto is great, paleo is great, just eating more vegetables is great!
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:10 pm

WoW pisses me off -

Tell me about it, I'm spending a night in the Navajo Res and they don't sell alcohol anywhere on the Reservation.

Gah! I spent time in Utah sans beverage and now this?

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 pm

Everyone is looking for that thing that is going to make them feel better. Best you can do is eat a balanced diet and get lots of exercise. That will do more for you than adherence to any modern or ancient mystic diets.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:25 am

Mad Jax wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:29 pm
How did keto work for you, if you don't mind me asking? It's all the rage here in Minnesota but I have yet to try it. I do the 35/35/30 split but TBH I do go low on the carbs more often than not. Also will be back to 6000 cal/day soon.
Keto is interesting. I did a 7 day fast beginning of the year. Actually, I only made it 6 days,...but during those 6 days, all I had was water. People would say: "OH, THAT's CRAZY!"....but it actually felt unusually good. I had hunger for 3 days, but when I finally got all my carbs burned and my body slipped into keto, the hunger left me. It was WEIRD! Like all of the sudden, I stopped being hungry. I also felt a slight increase in alertness, which is what I wanted most.

Keto is easy--once you are there. The problem is the transition, for many (including myself to some degree), can be difficult. If you are burning carbs...great. If you are burning ketones...great. If you are in the middle and your body is transitioning?...that is where it can be difficult.

I've heard it recommended you should cut carbs to nothing, and then you should exercise moderately for about 30 min to burn what carbs you have left. That allows you to get into ketosis faster.

------------------

I'm doing intermittant fasting as well as ketogenic diet both. My goal is health,..not weight loss, not energy increase, just plain health. Those other things are factors in overall health, but for me, its cardiovascular I'm after. And, the proof is in the pudding: the specifics I am after have improved enough that I'm cutting meds out.

My body does NOT like wheat, sugar, high glycemic foods, etc. The big one appears to be wheat. WAIT,..ain't that the 'staff of life'?

Go figure. I don't drink coffee, tea, or smoke,...I just eat all kinds of bread made with wheat and other grains, and my pancrease screams "OH GAWD...WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME!".....and I respond: "Hey, GOD said do this,...and I can run and not be weary...etc."...all the while almost passing out on the stress test and needing to visit the ER because "GOD's PROPHET knows better than my body what I need!".

Yeh right. Effing prophet anyway!

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:41 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 pm
Everyone is looking for that thing that is going to make them feel better. Best you can do is eat a balanced diet and get lots of exercise. That will do more for you than adherence to any modern or ancient mystic diets.
I mostly agree with you on this. Problem is, what is a 'balanced diet'?

When I was a youngster, the 4H food pyramid came along and said you should eat certain foods as part of a 'balanced diet'. Grain's were VERY high on the list, as was dairy. So, I did what they said....and here I am.

I found out much later that the only species of animal that drinks milk, NOT from their own species, after being weened are humans. And, that is NOT normal or natural. It is mostly the result of advertising campaigns from dairy farmers who needed to move their product. And, along came some of the nutritionists who said "Saturated FAT is BAD!"...so they modify the milk and we still drink it.

Why not just go back to nature, bend down under the cow and suck on its utter tits. I mean,..isn't that natural?....we drink the milk from that animal after all,...after being weened off of milk as children?

Frankly,..I don't know what "balanced diet" even means. The 'ancient mystic diets' as you may call them,...arn't they eating natural whole foods?...and to avoid those, you should eat a balanced diet, as defined by the 4H group back in the day?

I did that. Didn't work. I ate bread, just like they said; drank milk, just like they said; ate vegetables from the bag, just like they said; cut down on saturated fats and loaded up on trans-fats, just like they said;....and now I'm a clogged mess.

nada...no work. I'm done with 'balanced diet' bullshit. Why?...cuz I don't even know what that means. I'll go with what my cardiologist says, and seeing the numbers improve for the first time in a decade MATTERS TO ME.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Yea the idea of grains being the staple of human diet doesn't have much backing in scientific literature. At least not in regards to athletic performance in any of the articles and studies I've read.

The food we tend to eat is that which can be efficiently grown. With the advent of agriculture, the societies that first implemented it had to find foods that could be yielded from the soil in a way that could feed the most people. Those aren't always the foods that are best for humans. I'm not a "pure paleo" kind of guy, but I think it's a better "starting point" than what is generally considered a healthy diet. I'm glad to hear that keto worked for you; I think it's a good way to be healthy and athletic, but I don't think it's the only way. Depends a lot on the focus of a person's health goals, I reckon.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Wheat today isn't the same plant that was grown even 200 years ago, much less five thousand. It has been hybridized and gmo'ed up the whazoo till it carries more gluten than it ever would have naturally.

But when a farmer wants higher and higher yield per acre, some ag scientist is going to figure out how to get it.

I think in it's original form wheat was pretty good for humans.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Mad Jax wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:25 pm
I'm glad to hear that keto worked for you; I think it's a good way to be healthy and athletic, but I don't think it's the only way. Depends a lot on the focus of a person's health goals, I reckon.
I totally agree; it's not the only way. I'm doing it for very specific reasons. My son lifts a lot of VERY heavy weight, trying to build muscle. His body type is very mesomorphic. He did keto and ended up losing ground,...so he had to make some changes.

The WoW dictates ideals, and then Brigham Young (or whoever) came along and made it 'required'. And there we are.