A Letter to my Representatives: Medical Marijuana in Utah

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
achilles

A Letter to my Representatives: Medical Marijuana in Utah

Post by achilles » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:12 am

I've recently drafted a letter to my state representatives regarding medical cannabis. Feel free to make suggestions for improvement.

Dear Senator K*********

I am writing as a concerned citizen and chronic pain patient requesting your kind consideration of the medical cannabis issue during the upcoming legislative season. I hope you will carefully read the contents of this letter with an open mind and a determination to help countless chronic pain sufferers in the great State of Utah.

Until five years ago, I lived a normal, productive life. A couple of car accidents later, I now suffer chronic pain. I had to quit my career and look for other ways to sustain myself. I don’t go out much, and when I do, I begin to develop widespread soreness within two or three hours. I have visited many doctors and I finally found a cocktail of expensive prescription drugs that gives me modest pain relief, along with some distracting neurological side effects. Last year alone I spent nearly $5000 on appointments, medications, and injections. I visited Colorado to see if edible marijuana would give me relief from my pain—and it worked! If I lived in Colorado, I could get pain relief much cheaper and with fewer side effects. But I am unable to live there because my employment situation necessitates living with family.

The availability of medical cannabis is relevant to one of Utah's major health problems: death by opioid overdose. The Utah Department of Health website reports several frightening statistics regarding prescription drug overdose deaths. It is reported that “drug poisoning deaths have outpaced deaths due to firearms, falls, and motor vehicle crashes in Utah”, with the majority of deaths from accidental opioid overdose by chronic pain patients. Additionally, it reports that “every month in Utah, 24 individuals die from prescription drug overdoses” and that “Utah ranked 4th in the U.S. for drug poisoning deaths from 2012-2014.” (See http://www.health.utah.gov/vipp/topics/ ... -overdoses)

A recent study published in the Journal of Pain (June 2016) found that 64% of chronic pain patients who used medical cannabis were able to significantly decrease their use of addictive opioid drugs, experienced fewer side effects, and had an improved quality of life. (See http://www.jpain.org/article/S1526-5900 ... 8/fulltext). There are many strains of cannabis that are low in THC, but give pain relief through other cannibinoids, giving chronic pain patients a chance for an active and productive life.

The State of Utah is unique in the composition of its population and the makeup of its
legislature. A majority are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who look for guidance on all kinds of issues from the leadership of the church. Last year bills were written that would begin medical cannabis trials for chronic pain and cancer patients. Unfortunately, these bills were unable to move forward due to a statement from the Church’s PR Department. (See http://www.sltrib.com/home/3532772-155/ ... easons-for). I implore you to consider moving forward on this issue. Many Utahans would benefit from the well-regulated use of medical cannabis. I am happy to help in any way I can, including testifying in committee or full chamber discussion.

Sincerely,

Achilles, Son of Peleus, Friend of Patroclus, Vanquisher of Hector, Hero of the Achaeans
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

MoPag

Re: A Letter to my Representatives: Medical Marijuana in Utah

Post by MoPag » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:22 pm

I really hope Senator K********* isn't "church broke."

That was a great letter. I didn't realize death by opioid overdose was that big of a problem in Utah. It is senseless and sad that so many people are suffering and dying when there is a solution available.

Also ((Hugs)). It sounds like you are going through a lot.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

achilles

Post by achilles » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:49 pm

MoPag wrote:I really hope Senator K********* isn't "church broke."
If you look at his picture, you can tell that he totally is church broke: http://senate.utah.gov/senators/district17.html

Mehhhh.... Maybe he's a nice guy. He kind of gives me an E Wirthlin vibe.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:24 pm

He does kind of have a "sweet Mormon grandpa" vibe. And it says he was an orthodontist. So he has worked in the medical field. Maybe that will help.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:38 pm

At least he didn't go to BYU.

The pharma painkiller drug addiction problem here in UT is one of the worst in the country. The stupid and strange liquor laws legislated in UT are a good indicator of the challenges MMJ faces. The last time MJ was on the hill for consideration they were talking about regulating the dosages for patience, like they have any medical experience or education to make that decision.

It just amazes me that they can give out dangerous man-made substances like candy but they won't allow the use of an natural herbal plant with so many benefits and few side effects. It just speaks to the ignorance of decisions made on the hill and in the upper room.

It's akin to hiding your head in the sand to all of the past LDS culture of magic wands, stones, and marrying other guys wives; but still believing in olive snake oil and homophobia. WTH?!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE