LDS Churchs new tactical training facility

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
wtfluff

Re: LDS Churchs new tactical training facility

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:22 am

Maybe after they saw what security looked like at Vatican City they decided they needed to step things up a notch?

Here's the thing: Compared to Catholicism, Mormonism is a tiny, inconsequential fundamentalist cult.

While there may be a tiny few crazies out there that are "out to get" the board of directors for LD$-Inc., I too would like to confirm my bias and say that a large, LD$-Inc. dedicated security training facility is overkill.

Then again, maybe a crazy old CEO had a dream a few months before his 95th birthday about a fancy facility, and then his crazy child bride testified to him of his awesome revelatory hallucinations. Just doin' what the invisible man in the sky tells the crazy old CEO to do.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:31 am

My guess is they saw it had potential to be a good profit making venture. Guns are popular with conservative politics now, so here's a good way to cash in on it. Even for the church, they would never use it full time, so they can lease it out to various other groups to use.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:37 am

It is a good thing that Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand's prime minister, is no longer a member of the former Mormon Church since she would otherwise be pressured by Church authorities to not ban assault weapons in New Zealand. Assault and semi-automatic weapons are a part of the LDS pioneer heritage, just like polygamy and tapirs pulling steel chariots.

If the Gentiles within Zion ever get out of hand, the Church will need some way to defeat them and the training provided by the new tactical training facility will make Church Security and the BYU Police a force to be reckoned with.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:54 am

If they build this, maybe they will let it be open to the public. I would love to go spend a few hours with the family on the next visit to Utah.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:45 am

Like their hunting preserves, I imaging that it would be open to anyone who is willing to pay the "modest fee" for it's use.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:41 pm

Maybe the church plans on creating a private army that they can hire out for the highest price. It is the Swiss army that runs the security for the Vatican IIRC.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Gun Nut Bird wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:37 am
If the Gentiles within Zion ever get out of hand, the Church will need some way to defeat them and the training provided by the new tactical training facility will make Church Security and the BYU Police a force to be reckoned with.
It would provide an opportunity for a new generation of Orin Porter Rockwell's to sharpen their ninja skills.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:09 am

its to prep staff for their new private business for Blackwater esque escapades.
Big bucks to be made. They already have the blind obedience part down in their underlings. A base of foreign language skills to recruit from. Mormons tend to do well in federal security screening. And if they can train the first few generations of staff as a tax write off they are well set against their competitors.

I have no evidence for the above and its probably motivated by my contempt but it wouldn't surprise me either.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:04 pm

It sounds like the SCMC will be taking ish seriously from now on.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:01 am

Truly in the spirit of Christ, who said if someone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him and pump him full of hot lead.

Or something like that.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:53 pm

I'm beginning to like this new form of Mormonism. I should consider becoming active again and reapplying for the position of Inquisitor.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:47 am

A new Porter Rockwell?

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:36 pm

I was thinking more like this guy. I'm hoping they issue me the Sword of Laban.

achilles

Post by achilles » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:46 pm

What kills me is that it is most likely another Christian group that would light our temples on fire, and not Muslims. It seems that we so easily forget that we're next on the list of least trusted religions in the US.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:32 am

History would suggest it would be a disaffected member or someone in danger of being caught in the fraud.