Worth sharing..Response to Nelson’s talk

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
StarbucksMom

Worth sharing..Response to Nelson’s talk

Post by StarbucksMom » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:43 am

This is really good, but reading it made me angry (again). Pres Nelson is a truly evil person, and in no way a representative of Christ.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/mormonthe ... ilies.html

jfro18

Re: Worth sharing..Response to Nelson’s talk

Post by jfro18 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:51 am

A+

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:37 am

Wow. Fantastic
~2bizE

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:02 pm

I LOVE Natasha Helfer Parker!!!!!

Thanks for sharing this Starbucksmom!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:24 pm

Natasha Helfer Parker wrote:Think of that… you got an entire audience of followers of Jesus Christ to laugh at one of his sheep. I couldn’t believe what I was watching and felt profound sadness.
That said it all for me. Insensitive, self-important elitism. And that is being charitable.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:38 pm

BAM!
...listen to Sister Sharon Eubank’s talk. That is the type of talk that propels mental health and edifies relationships.
In the words of 70s show Kelso...BURN!!!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Sister Natasha Helfer Parker cuts right to the heart of the matter. I simply lack the faith that any of this will have any effect on decisions in the office of the First Presidency.

If I were a practicing therapist and a lot more cynical, I would say something like, "Please continue saying such nutty and divisive things, President Nelson! I might be able to raise my rates even as I increase the number of people I am treating due to the emotional fallout from this talk!"

But Sister Parker is a good person who only wants to improve mental health in the LDS community. She would not stoop to such a callous response to President Nelson's callous talk. If I have any faith in divinity, I can only hope that some level of LDS leadership takes Sister Parker's message to heart.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Luke chapter 18: The publican and the Pharisee. I think Jesus put it well.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Stig

Post by Stig » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Well said. Too bad the leadership of the Church is so arrogantly sure of the righteousness of their actions that it will have absolutely no impact on them.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:40 am

Her take on his talk was spot on.

But I am really blown away from the replies to her post- people disagreeing with her so fiercely.

The hero worship is such that Nelson's entitlement is not only supported by his followers but also justified. They want their prophet to be arrogant and self-righteous.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:57 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:40 am
The hero worship is such that Nelson's entitlement is not only supported by his followers but also justified. They want their prophet to be arrogant and self-righteous.
The very first one is the most insane of them all where she is blamed for listening to the talk with her ears and not her heart.

YOU CAN NOT MAKE THIS STUFF UP. :lol:

Nevermind what Nelson said... nevermind what Joseph Smith did or what Brigham Young did... if you just ignore what your eyes and ears can see and just let your personal filter take over, it can all make sense and be fulfilling.

So when people tell me the Mormon church is not a cult... I don't listen with my ears but instead filter it through my brain and guess what? It's kind of a cult.

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:32 am

Yes it was a great response however I dont think TBMs are willing or even able to get it !!!!!! I think they are sooooo into believing Pres Nelson and whatever B.S. comes from his mouth that their brain is incapable of seeing or hearing anything that would be damaging to the One True Curch on Earth !!!! To me that is very sad that people are that brainwashed .

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:43 am

NHP is next on the excommunication list!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:43 am
Yep, she probably is. :cry:

At least the media headlines will bring some more negative attention to the church.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:58 am

It is sounding more and more to me like RMN is having a major case of bruised ego. Between his constant need to produce new "revelation" and how defensive he is getting, it sounds a lot like a manager. He's captain of a ship that is starting to sink and he knows it. Now is is confronted with how to try to stop it.

When the business is going south, what do many CEO's do? Say the business is doing to the cameras. But to the employees, there is a different side shown. They blame the employees for not working hard enough. Blame ex-employees for not being loyal enough to stay. Blame the customers for not wanting the product that they currently offer. Fire the employees who are speaking loudly about hot to change the company. Blame the media for not buying their advertising line and also for providing 'false' information about their products. I've been in enough management meetings to see the same thing happen.

I wonder if he knows how many previous prophets have been thrown under the bus. Now there are facing a major downturn in the fortunes and prestige of Mormonism, and I think that maybe he knows full where the trend is going. Maybe he sees it as at some point in the future, he will be the prophet that was responsible for the major start of the sinking of the good ship LDS, and that scares him. He knows he has to do something to stem the sinking, but al he know is what he has always done and been around. He may be obsessed with wanting to be like the prophets in the scriptures, but constantly fails to get the results he hopes for. Like the CEO of the failing company, he doesn't want to have his face on the failure.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:01 am

Christ leaves the 99 sheep to go after the one that is lost. Mormonism says the one sheep is sh** out of luck and when another sheep points out that the first one left, Mormonism has that sheep shot for agitating the remaining.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

alas

Post by alas » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:04 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:01 am
Christ leaves the 99 sheep to go after the one that is lost. Mormonism says the one sheep is sh** out of luck and when another sheep points out that the first one left, Mormonism has that sheep shot for agitating the remaining.
At first I thought this is about right, then I remembered what was missing. And that is that the first sheep got lost after running away from the repeated beatings. Then the Mormon shepherd says, “hope the wolves get that stupid sheep.” Them Mormonism shoots the sheep who points out why the first ran away. So, you just left out the repeated beatings.

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:41 am

Red Ryder wrote:
That was my first thought after reading it (other than how it was spot on, of course). If she wasn't before, I bet she is now.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:19 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Interestingly, Gina Colvin dodged a bullet, but now is as open, if not more so, in her disapproval of the brethren on social media. I'm not sure the church can handle the PR when they go after prominent members that engage the middle way. NHP does podcasts about sex that normalize masturbation, amd other fringey ideas...imagine the headlines, "Mormon Sex Therapist Excommunicated: Says Prophet Harming Families".

With NYT picking up honor code stories, and Hollywood publicizing Van Wagonen, it seems like the bigger audiences might latch on. TSCC may not be able to handle ongoing media scrutiny *cough* I mean, persecution.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:58 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:40 am
I am so sorry about the things I said when I believed. I would have spouted the same crap they did. The thing that gets me is that JS did come pretty close to teaching universal salvation. RMN brags about how good his own kids turned out while letting people know that they just are not as good. I wonder if he ever talks to people with family members who have left the church.