BYU Drama Dept Rumor

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

BYU Drama Dept Rumor

Post by moksha » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:25 am

BYU Drama Department Rumor: There is a rumor that the Brigham Young University College of Fine Arts and Communications is interested in putting on their rendition of the Book of Mormon Musical if they can be allowed to change the wording in the main song from "a Mormon just believes" to "a Mormon just knows". BYU spokesperson Cliven L. Watledge explained, "We wish to add the word know to illustrate the greater degree of faith and devotion found on this campus".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: BYU Drama Dept Rumor

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:53 am

And Hasa Diga Eebowai has been re-translated with the department's magic rock-et-chapeau to "Thank you, God!"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:25 am
BYU Drama Department Rumor: There is a rumor that the Brigham Young University College of Fine Arts and Communications is interested in putting on their rendition of the Book of Mormon Musical if they can be allowed to change the wording in the main song from "a Mormon just believes" to "a Mormon just knows". BYU spokesperson Cliven L. Watledge explained, "We wish to add the word know to illustrate the greater degree of faith and devotion found on this campus".
On Friday, Relatives of ward choir singer and "I am a Child of God" song writer Naomi Randall and the kin of former Prophet, Seer, and one Word Editor, even Spencer W. Kimball wished to correct Brother Watledge. They serendipitously note one minor edit by suggesting while "a Mormon just believes" and "a Mormon just knows" are important couplets, the phrase should follow the now infamous Kimball's suggested word change from "know" to "do".

Attempts to reach out to Nike for comment were made wherein they responded, "Just do it! We don't care what Mormons do as long as they keep buying Nike shoes for their multiple wives and hundreds of children."

Further rumors surrounding the Faith's long attempt to open mainline China for the preaching of the gospel were discussed with Nike. Rolodex contacts were exchanged.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:44 am

When I saw "BYU Drama Dept Rumor" I figured it was just some new drama at BYU like the Honor Code Office had revoked ecclesiastic endorsements for playing "Pokemon Go" while wearing leggings on a Sunday or something equally silly.

I think the real challenge of putting on "The Book of Mormon" Broadway play will be finding enough people who are not, uh, "white and delightsome". Most of the scenes occur in a land where the people are descended from Noah's som Ham and his wife, Egyptus. I'm trying to avoid a political gaffe here, but the racial demographic of BYU does not easily support the skin melanin content that matches the expected cast. Let's also note that the cast does not include a part for a woman of European descent whatsoever. This is the exact opposite of 95% of the women on campus. Did Mia Love or Alex Boye send any of their children to BYU?

Maybe BYU can change the setting from Uganda to Denmark which will be a lot easier for BYU to cast. Does "Skrue Dig Gud" have the same emotional impact as "Hasa Diga Ebowai"?

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hahahahaha ! This thread is hilarious. I have seen some of these BYU musical revues, and many of them have the same saccharine, provincial naivete as the Lennon sisters and barbershop quartet warbling on the Lawrence Welk shows of the 1960's, beloved by your grandparents and great-grandparents. In other words, they're really awful. ( Apologies to any Y alum here who took part in those debacles, but you're probably a lot more talented than the material you were instructed to perform). -- Wndr.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Nah. Just stick to shows more culturally suited to Provo, like "Oklahoma", "Mary Poppins", "Sound of Music", etc. For "Sound of Music", the Von Trapp family can be changed to be an Austrian Mormon family of 7 children, and Fraulein Maria can be portrayed as a member of the ward in Salzburg. :lol:
BYU Drama Dept. can make that one work. (Book of Mormon, not so much, even if they change the locale from Uganda to Denmark. LOL :D )

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Much like GC , I'm calling B.S. on these rumors

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:16 am

Wonderment wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:22 pm
For "Sound of Music", the Von Trapp family can be changed to be an Austrian Mormon family of 7 children, and Fraulein Maria can be portrayed as a member of the ward in Salzburg. :lol:
^^She's from the Singles ward in Salzburg. Instead of running around on a mountain, she gets in trouble for missing too many FHEs. The Reverend Mother will be changed to her Bishop. He sends her to live with the Von Trapps. After a difficult beginning, she eventually gets them to take the missionary lessons and they all get baptized in the lake in their backyard.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:03 pm

^She's from the Singles ward in Salzburg. Instead of running around on a mountain, she gets in trouble for missing too many FHEs. The Reverend Mother will be changed to her Bishop. He sends her to live with the Von Trapps. After a difficult beginning, she eventually gets them to take the missionary lessons and they all get baptized in the lake in their backyard.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Exactly ! -Wndr.