Utah Religious Transition Group Meeting - Update - February 12

Announcements of real world meet ups with fellow NOMs, events such as Sunstone or other conferences, and any other bulletin board like notices.
fh451

Utah Religious Transition Group Meeting - Update - February 12

Post by fh451 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:04 pm

A religious transition support group will meet this Sunday at the South Valley Unitarian Universalist Society building at 12:30 p.m. See the web page describing the group here: Religious Transition Group.

The group moderator and coordinator, Bill Dobbs, sent this email announcement today:
Hello Everybody,

This will be your notice that, by popular demand, our Religious Transition Group will continue to meet. In fact we will meet next Sunday, Dec 11, 2016, at 12:30 p.m. I considered not meeting in Dec, but it was felt at our last meeting that we need make some pre-holiday discussion and support available. Please come to the meeting to support others, because I do expect newcomers to come to this meeting, too. The depth of experience in our group brings a lot of wisdom to bear on difficult family and personal issues. Come also to see old friends and make new ones.

You will remember that my last announcement before our meeting of November 13 mentioned we would discuss the future and value of the group. It was the consensus of those at the group that we at RTG provide in our circle a kind of focused listening and group response that they do not find anywhere else. That is a unique aspect of our group. As part of the Internet announcements, they urged me to clearly identify our mission as a support group, and our commitment to listening.

I trust that with your help we will be able to go providing support in this new environment for people who want personal talk. I think that we still fill a need and I want potential "customers" to be able to find us. My best hope for the group is that we will thrive again, and that we will go on thriving even when I'm no longer there. That can happen if we continue to fill a need and can make that known. If any of you have ideas about how we get our message out, please let me know.

In the meantime, I send sending the link to an article on how those leaving the LDS Church should be treated. Discussions at a recent BYU conference of faith and intellect suggested that people leaving may be lazy and lacking the character. The author of this article, psychologist and therapist Krista Money, disagrees. So do I. From my experience, those who choose to leave have the courage to question their fundamental beliefs and to leave the traditions of their families and ancestors. This is an act of integrity the demonstrates your character. We are the new pioneers.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/4660975-1 ... ch-deserve

Peace,
Bill Dobbs
Last edited by fh451 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fh451

Re: Utah Religious Transition Group Meeting - January 8

Post by fh451 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:55 am

From Bill Dobbs:

Hello Everybody,

Our first meeting of Religious Transition Group for the new year is on this Sunday, January 8, 2017 at our usual time of 12:30 p.m. Come to discuss how you survived the holidays--and anything else that is on your mind.

Come to see old friends and newcomers, come to listen and be listened to, to give and receive caring and to have fun! Put a little warmth into this cold winter.

I look forward to seeing you all.

Cheers,
Bill Dobbs

fh451

Re: Utah Religious Transition Group Meeting - January 8

Post by fh451 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:48 pm

Happening again this week on January 22 - fh451

Hello Everybody,

We meet again in our Religious Transition Group on this Sunday, January22, 2017 at our usual time of 12:30 p.m.

Come to discuss what's on your mind--what you have learned and lost, done well or could have done better, or to how best to resolve conflicts or enjoy the moments with your family or friends. Come to take pleasure in the company of old friends and newcomers.

I look forward to seeing you all once more.

Kind Regards,

Bill Dobbs

fh451

Re: Utah Religious Transition Group Meeting - February 12

Post by fh451 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Hello All,

This is a reminder that Religious Transition Group will meet this Sunday, February 12, 2017 at our usual time of 12:30 PM. We look forward to seeing all of you with bells on.

Your old friends and our newcomers will enjoy seeing you; come to both give and receive support. Share deep feelings and keen insights.

Kind Regards,

Bill Dobbs​