If Only Cartoons Were This Awesome When I Was A Kid

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mad Jax

If Only Cartoons Were This Awesome When I Was A Kid

Post by Mad Jax » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 am

Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

RubinHighlander

Re: If Only Cartoons Were This Awesome When I Was A Kid

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Noice! Just as corny with cool factor!

I'd like to see them do one with the Foo Fighters
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Whoa.

I saw Kiss in concert when I was in high school and I thought I was in heaven. They only played for 45 minutes.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:05 pm

This would have blown my mind if I saw this on Saturday morning cartoons.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:13 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:05 pm
This would have blown my mind if I saw this on Saturday morning cartoons.
I can think of some altered states of mind wherein this would still blow our minds as adults. I might throw this on a list of things to do and watch on the new 4k TV. :shock: :D :shock: :lol:
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Hmmm...

Sounds to me like we need to get a group of UT NOMmies together and go hang out on the lawn at Usana and watch the final KISS tour.

I'm pretty sure they'll dress up their wheelchairs with leather, spikes, and maybe rockets. Should be a good time. :mrgreen:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:37 pm

Sorry to be a downer, but I never liked groups like KISS and Alice Cooper much. They just seemed too gimmicky/commercial, but I am a bit of a snob. I have played a couple of Alice Cooper songs in a cover band and sang Crazy Train by Ozzy. As Gene Simmons once said, they lived the American dream. Should I have kept this opinion to myself? :oops:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:03 am

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:37 pm
Sorry to be a downer, but I never liked groups like KISS and Alice Cooper much. They just seemed too gimmicky/commercial, but I am a bit of a snob. I have played a couple of Alice Cooper songs in a cover band and sang Crazy Train by Ozzy. As Gene Simmons once said, they lived the American dream. Should I have kept this opinion to myself? :oops:
Tempted to say "Thanks for sharing, Darya" but I don't know how to deliver in text the tone necessary to imply it's only banter. Being serious though, taste is taste. You don't like it, you don't like it. I hate a lot of popular bands and think they generally suck (U2, Radiohead, Depeche Mode, INXS, No Doubt, Green Day, and quite a few more) but at the end of the day nobody cares that I dislike them, so I see no harm in sharing it.

And you're right, KISS is pretty gimmicky. I think the reason a lot of their music sucks is not that they aren't generally good musicians though. It's because of one song, "Rock and Roll All Nite." A repetitive and simplistic song that has already worn thin a about thirty seconds into it, but it became their number one hit early on, and so instead of making genuine rock the house down tracks (like 100,000 Years) they moved toward the formula of their biggest success. This was in the days of 45rpm singles, when it was more important to have a hit song than it was to try and go platinum with an album. So most of their songs converged to that same formula as R&RAN in an attempt to replicate its success.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Great post, Mad Jax. I feel you used my own hubris to take me down. :lol: I don't even know who/what Darya is. :oops:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.