Digital Sabbath

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Digital Sabbath

Post by 2bizE » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Now they want us to honor the digital sabbath....
More bad mormon culture on its way...
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... m=referrer
~2bizE

Kishkumen

Re: Digital Sabbath

Post by Kishkumen » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:44 pm

lots of diverse families in those photographs.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:39 pm

That is one long article! I couldn't finish it, but I think I get the general idea. Another subtly invasive idea about how make our brand "special" and make us a little holier than the other brand.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:42 pm

I do a lot of my religion research on Sundays on my phone or laptop. I even use the scriptures provided by lds.org from time to time.
Just like the Pharisees I noticed there were lots of ideas for how one could get bogged down in trying to decide whether they were breaking the Sabbath or not. Straining at gnats.... swallowing camels...

I also noticed the "humble brag" the author slipped in:

"I rarely watch TV anyway..."

Good for you deary. Now you have more time to do genealogy. On the internet.... ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:20 pm

“I think the Pharisees just smiled a little” was one of the comments posted to the article on Deseret News.
~2bizE

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:53 am

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:44 pm
yeah- diverse... did you notices the blatantly posed one of the tattoo on his forearm?

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:17 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:53 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:44 pm
yeah- diverse... did you notices the blatantly posed one of the tattoo on his forearm?
It caught my eye. I wonder who gave the go ahead for that one. BYU airbrushes the tattoos off pictures of their athletes.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:11 pm

It seems so odd to read articles like that now. How ridiculous it sounds to hear someone spout off about the sabbath day. Hard to believe people buy into that.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:57 am

I didn't read the article, but I couldn't help noticing the abundance of safety devices on their trampoline. They must spend as much time preparing to jump as they do actually jumping.

One time I got a ride home from church with a friend as a kid and I was surprised that they played the radio in the car. I've been under the impression in recent years that Mormons don't care as much anymore about that sort of Sabbath observance, but it could be simply that I'm too far removed to notice.

naomibythesea

Post by naomibythesea » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:56 pm

In my honest opinion, I think it's a great Idea to take a break from electronics on Sunday.
However my opinion on it is not ultimately because of religion, I think its important for our mental well being to take a break from
electronics at least once a week.
Isaiah 51:16
And I have put my words in thy mouth, and I have covered thee in the shadow of mine hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say unto Zion, Thou art my people.