Politics Post - Evan McMullin

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Korihor

Politics Post - Evan McMullin

Post by Korihor » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:56 am

Alright, I am not endorsing any candidate, just wanted to offer a few thoughts. Disclaimer, I am not a resident of Utah.

For many years, I have said the biggest problem in politics is we only have 2 parties. Of course there are several smaller 3rd parties, but nothing has developed out of them yet. However, Utah potentially is in the unique position of officially voting for a 3rd party nominee. I think this is truly a good thing, it sets a precedent that others might follow. Of course McMullin won't win the presidency and I'm sure he's well aware of that. But it sends a warning shot to Washington, all is not well.

Also, it might help people think for themselves and not simple accept what is given them. It begins to force the establishment to seriously consider threats of outsiders.

I would applaud Utah for voting for someone besides Trump or Clinton. I don't care who it is. It sends a message.

What say you? Will voting McMullin further Utah's image of being crazy or will it help start a movement?
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Meilingkie

Re: Politics Post - Evan McMullin

Post by Meilingkie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:01 am

Well Korihor, my friend
Maybe you missed the memo.....
McMullin is running on a Republican platform

He actually is a RINO, but this time he´s the real deal
The Republican nominee is the real RINO as far as I can Judge.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:17 am

Meilingkie wrote:Well Korihor, my friend
Maybe you missed the memo.....
McMullin is running on a Republican platform

He actually is a RINO, but this time he´s the real deal
The Republican nominee is the real RINO as far as I can Judge.
You're correct, it's a republican platform. But that's not the point.

It's simply the potential an independent could take the state that gives me hope the politics in this country are changing.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:20 am

Let´s hope so, I share your sentiment.
But the mathematics is against 3rd parties in the US, or any other first-past-the-post system.

Ever watched the CGPGrey movies about it?
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:40 pm

Because the new president appoints his entire cabinet that essentially runs the entire government, it is a winner-take-all system. There is no prize for second place. This means that minority parties will never get anything. This forces a two-party system with both parties of them being relatively close to the center of political beliefs. So I don't think there is ever hope for third parties being anything but an indicators of dissatisfaction to the two larger parties, and often the parties will move their beliefs to incorporate the minority parties.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:53 pm

I think 99% of the people that live where I live have no idea who Evan McMullin is. The only people who've mentioned him are Mormons. On the off chance that UT does elect him, I imagine most people around here will be like, "Those Mormons stick together, huh?"

shadow

Post by shadow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:59 pm

It will be interesting to see going forward if the republican party can mount solid competition for presidential politics--or whether they've alienated enough demographics that they have a really hard time in future elections. The only way I see a third party is if the civil war being fought in the GOP actually breaks the party.

My politics has long made me feel uncomfortable at church, which definitely didn't help keep me on the good ship zion once I learned church history. However, I am impressed that Mormons have been very reluctant to support Trump. So much better than the pandering evangelicals.

It just feels like the rapidly growing support for McMullin has as much to do with his temple recommend as it does with his politics. Sitting outside of Utah, the perception is that Mormons seem very sectarian.

But, but, but...WHITE HORSE PROPHECY!!! If McMullin wins Utah and neither Trump nor clinton get to 270, and congress pick McMullin, then my testimony will be restored and I will quickly repent.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:19 pm

I think it would be awesome if, when they show the big, post-election map, every state has voted for either Donald or Hillary - except Utah. The whole world will be wondering what the hell is going on here.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:44 pm

The lunch time conversations yesterday drifted to Brother McMullin's marital status.

Is he a 40 year old virgin?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

shadow

Post by shadow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Red Ryder wrote:The lunch time conversations yesterday drifted to Brother McMullin's marital status.

Is he a 40 year old virgin?
There are no homosexual members of the church.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

Zadok

Post by Zadok » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:02 pm

Red Ryder wrote: Is he a 40 year old virgin?

That is what he tells his Bishop. But just ignore his Grindr app on his cell phone and the 5 year supply of condoms in the trunk of his car.
If I'm a bird, why can't I fly?

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:22 pm

I am thinking about House of Cards now.
Nobody is a boyscout, not even a boyscout!
And I wonder, does Evan really have no crap on his boots?

Here the latest from 538.com

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 ... cast/utah/

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:44 am

The latest Utah Presidential poll:

Trump - 30%
McMullin - 29%
Clinton - 24%

My own prediction is that when the majority of Utah voters enter the polling booth, they will go into a religious trance and press the straight Republican button. Once they leave the polling place, they will snap out of the trance and claim "they vote for the person and not the party".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:13 am

shadow wrote:But, but, but...WHITE HORSE PROPHECY!!! If McMullin wins Utah and neither Trump nor clinton get to 270, and congress pick McMullin, then my testimony will be restored and I will quickly repent.

If there's one thing I hate about the church it's the white horse prophecy... the white horse prophesy and the belief that the founding fathers of America were revealing god's gift of government.

If there's two things I hate about the church it's the white horse prophecy and the belief that the founding fathers of America were revealing god's gift of government... and how ETB turned the church into an extension of the far right conservative party.

If there's three things I hate about the church it's the white horse prophecy, the belief that the founding fathers of America were revealing god's gift of government, and how ETB turned the church into an extension of the far right conservative party... and an almost fanatical devotion to the prophet.

I'll come in again.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:03 am

I do not know the origin of this image, but I assure you that I did not photoshop it up. This appeared in a Facebook group I ran across and I am skeptical that McMullin would actually say this. But I am confident that some of this proponents would attribute this to him in a "knowing", LDS way.

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:10 am

Corsair wrote: This appeared in a Facebook group I ran across ]
They have to be f##in´ kiddin´ us. Please :shock:

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:08 am

Meilingkie wrote:They have to be f##in´ kiddin´ us. Please :shock:
I fully admit that I cannot document the provenance of this picture. It was posted by in an apostate forum by a person who simply wanted to point out how nuts this was. Perhaps this is some serious trolling since even the McMullin supporters in my life seem far more circumspect than this picture would suggest. But if "President McMullin" gets sworn into office in January, I think you know the LDS triumphalism that will be present.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:15 am

President McMullin will make sure the Smithsonian has a Nephite exhibit.

It might be required for President McMullin to have a cage match with Mitt Romney's dancing pony Rafalca in order to claim the White Horse title.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:50 am

You can just look at Evan McMullin and tell he is the White Horse (sorry Rafalca) who will save the Constitution, which became caught on a thread from the flak jacket of a Trump supporter who refused to acknowledge the decision of the voters in the General Election, and instead chose to take it to the streets with his assault rifle and camo-colored feetie pajamas. Evan will stand on the Temple top and with one blast of his gold vuvuzela will lay waste to the Trumpiaton Robbers.

Evan, Evan
He's our Elder
If he can't do it
We need to take shelter!!!

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4506207-155/ ... unorthodox
-- Moksha

shadow

Post by shadow » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:49 am

Just read that Tribune article. His parents divorced and his mom later married another woman. With respect to his view on same-sex marriage, he says that his mother's relationship "didn't change [his] view on the issue in any way." While his position is basically to respect the law of the land, which I guess is better than some, what a cold position to take publicly with respect to his mom. And, I can't help but believe that the only reason he feels that way is because of his mormon beliefs.