Nice Chat with SCMC Member Today

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
græy

Re: Nice Chat with SCMC Member Today

Post by græy » Wed May 15, 2019 2:00 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:22 am
Being LDS simply good to a lot of people. Sure, they talk about testimony and living prophets and temple blessings. But it feels good to them and they only have a language that supports that feeling. They don't have the skepticism and critical inquiry to think any differently. But they might not be happier even if they did. Talking about the voluminous issues in the CES Letter is arguing all dielectic when the believer is really just working with rhetoric.

It's their tribe and their family and their social group. Moving to a new group is really difficult and they talk about testimony and evidences for the Book of Mormon instead of the truly painful process of being vulnerable in a new group where you have to admit that you were wrong about something for your whole life. And then you have to rebuild your basis of moral judgement and ability to have joy from the ground up within a universe of uncertainty. It's not fun and I don't blame them. I simply know what now makes sense to me and how I find joy in mortality. Few believers actually want to understand that.
Well said.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack