Real Face of Jesus/Little House on the Prairie

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Newme

Real Face of Jesus/Little House on the Prairie

Post by Newme » Mon May 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Since I was a kid, I’ve had friends of darker color and now I have family, so when I discovered that Jesus (Yeshua) actually looked Middle Eastern as he was, it gave me some sense of - reassurance. It made all those times I saw people I care about be mistreated due to prejudice, less painful.

Tonight, we were watching reruns of the old “Highway to Heaven” and had to pause it - which happened to be on Victor French (“Mark” in the series). It made me realize how he looked like the face of Jesus forensic anthropologists had suggested... and with him being in Little House on the Prairie also - it makes Jesus kind of come alive for me! :) They say Victor had a gruff look and was cast as bad guys until Little House on the Prairie and others after. Jesus also was said to have had similar looks. Victor’s a bit lighter-complected, (& below is not necessarily exactly as Jesus looked but similar), but do you see the resemblance?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... 4/1282186/

Mad Jax

Re: Real Face of Jesus/Little House on the Prairie

Post by Mad Jax » Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 am

I've never been too sure about that artist rendition. So many people of modern Israel and other places in the middle east (Iran, Lebanon, Jordan) or even Saudi Arabia really don't look like that. Yes, I realize genetics change over time, and I know that those were made from a few skulls from that region dated to that time period, but anywhere in the Roman Republic/Empire tended to have a lot of different peoples and genetic differences. It's entirely possible many of the skulls tested were slaves imported by Rome, for instance.

I will say that is probably close (assuming Jesus actually existed, which I do believe, but am also not sure). But I've always been skeptical for that and a couple other reasons.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue May 21, 2019 8:21 am

Artist's conception of confrontation with the fig tree: "You give me fruit now!"
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Newme

Post by Newme » Tue May 21, 2019 10:00 am

Mad Jax wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 am
I've never been too sure about that artist rendition. So many people of modern Israel and other places in the middle east (Iran, Lebanon, Jordan) or even Saudi Arabia really don't look like that. Yes, I realize genetics change over time, and I know that those were made from a few skulls from that region dated to that time period, but anywhere in the Roman Republic/Empire tended to have a lot of different peoples and genetic differences. It's entirely possible many of the skulls tested were slaves imported by Rome, for instance.

I will say that is probably close (assuming Jesus actually existed, which I do believe, but am also not sure). But I've always been skeptical for that and a couple other reasons.
I’m not an expert in forensic anthropology but I trust others are and reading how they came up with this typical Jewish man’s appearance in the time of Christ has merit.

Christ/Yeshua was said to have blended in - looked similar to others and hid in Africa/Egypt.

Back 2,000 years ago, there was less interbreeding. Jewish law was stricter with inter-breeding. So, even though historically, the land "Israel" has been owned/occupied by non-Jews more than Jews, inter-breeding has been only recently, since now most "Jews" are Atheists and don't subscribe to Judaism. But 2,000 years ago, it was stricter and less likely to have mixed with other races.

The earliest art-images of Yeshua depict him as darker-skinned, and dark, short hair (not the handsome white hippy model made in the imaginations of others)...

3rd century AD (200’s): “The Good Shepherd”

3rd century AD (200’s): “Healing of the Paralytic”

Newme

Post by Newme » Tue May 21, 2019 10:15 am

moksha wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:21 am
https://naqyr37xcg93tizq734pqsx1-wpengi ... quotes.jpg
Artist's conception of confrontation with the fig tree: "You give me fruit now!"
;)
You bring up one of Christ’s teachings that seems wrong.
The fig tree didn’t have figs so he cursed it and it died?? Seems harsh.
This assumes that he performed a miracle, like walking on water, raising the dead etc... or... these were parables. Ie: A tree full of leaves ought to bare fruit, and a person full of potential ought to do good.

Btw, I believe the human sacrifice scapegoating, heaven reward fallacy etc, that are in the NT, were likely added by Catholicism in their councils. Thus the need to cherry pick.

Btw, I like this Taoist poetry Bruce Lee told... “Be water, my friend.”
https://youtu.be/cJMwBwFj5nQ

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue May 21, 2019 7:26 pm

Newme wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:00 am
I’m not an expert in forensic anthropology but I trust others are and reading how they came up with this typical Jewish man’s appearance in the time of Christ has merit.

Christ/Yeshua was said to have blended in - looked similar to others and hid in Africa/Egypt.

Back 2,000 years ago, there was less interbreeding. Jewish law was stricter with inter-breeding. So, even though historically, the land "Israel" has been owned/occupied by non-Jews more than Jews, inter-breeding has been only recently, since now most "Jews" are Atheists and don't subscribe to Judaism. But 2,000 years ago, it was stricter and less likely to have mixed with other races.

The earliest art-images of Yeshua depict him as darker-skinned, and dark, short hair (not the handsome white hippy model made in the imaginations of others)...

I recognize the expertise but it's still a "best guess" situation. I don't doubt they have good reasons for assuming this is the most likely scenario, but it just seems very possible some vital pieces of information may be missing. We're talking about the history of someone who has been replaced by a myth and a metaphor. Simply insufficient and highly obfuscated information to draw any conclusion more certain than that.

Newme

Post by Newme » Tue May 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Mad Jax wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:26 pm
Newme wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:00 am

I recognize the expertise but it's still a "best guess" situation. I don't doubt they have good reasons for assuming this is the most likely scenario, but it just seems very possible some vital pieces of information may be missing. We're talking about the history of someone who has been replaced by a myth and a metaphor. Simply insufficient and highly obfuscated information to draw any conclusion more certain than that.
Sure - it’s possible they’re off, but the facts that are known seem to lean to Jesus/Yeshua looking middle eastern. Still, I also acknowledge the possibility that the 1st Christians believing in christ as a spirit - not a person. Either way, this icon, Jesus, has evolved to looking appealing to white hippies..: and not at all BYU standards. ;) I just like the idea or Jesus maybe looking like someone who’d have had the priesthood denied - kind of makes the cruelty of the church feel less legit.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue May 21, 2019 7:42 pm

I've made basically that same remark numerous times when I was a member and it never even phased anyone that they might have the wrong idea. Even in more "progressive" Oregon. Not a fan of the long hair on a guy look (despite having once had it) but it seems like the stupidest reason to determine worthiness.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue May 21, 2019 11:54 pm

Mad Jax wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:42 pm
I've made basically that same remark numerous times when I was a member and it never even phased anyone that they might have the wrong idea. Even in more "progressive" Oregon. Not a fan of the long hair on a guy look (despite having once had it) but it seems like the stupidest reason to determine worthiness.
The modern LDS God and Christ have short hair, are clean shaven, and wear Brook Brothers suits.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha