LDS Theology Question

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

LDS Theology Question

Post by moksha » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:17 pm

The LDS Church has both Yahweh and Elohim on their theology roster. Do they also have an Adonai and an El Shaddai?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Re: LDS Theology Question

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:48 am

I think Adonai May be the same as Joseph Smith
~2bizE

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:05 am

I think the only god any members care about is Even Russel M. Nelson.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:10 am

It's important to note that the identity of Jehovah was a very confused topic up until the 20th century when Talmage finally had to clean it all up. Prior Jehovah was used interchangeably with Elohim in hymns, temple dedications in the D&C, etc. That is why there is a first presidency statement on the Godhead in the back of your quad. Seems a bit odd to me that JS who claimed to have seen both in vision and who was tutored by zombie apostle Paul would not know the difference.

Angel

Post by Angel » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:19 pm

In any event, the JW's have the name right. His name was NOT Jesus (the masculine ending "us" was added later by Romans) ... should be The Church of Yahweh ... for all the the to-do about the "correct" name of the church, they do not have the name right.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Angel wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:19 pm
In any event, the JW's have the name right. His name was NOT Jesus (the masculine ending "us" was added later by Romans) ... should be The Church of Yahweh ... for all the to-do about the "correct" name of the church, they do not have the name right.
:D Angel, what about Jesus full Aramaic/Hebrew name being Yeshua ben Yosef, while his full LDS name might be listed as Elder Jesus H. Christ of Latter-Day Saints? ;)
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:32 am

Angel wrote:
In any event, the JW's have the name right. His name was NOT Jesus (the masculine ending "us" was added later by Romans) ... should be The Church of Yahweh ... for all the the to-do about the "correct" name of the church, they do not have the name right.
:lol: Further proof that it is all about branding.
moksha wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:51 pm
Angel wrote:
In any event, the JW's have the name right. His name was NOT Jesus (the masculine ending "us" was added later by Romans) ... should be The Church of Yahweh ... for all the to-do about the "correct" name of the church, they do not have the name right.
:D Angel, what about Jesus full Aramaic/Hebrew name being Yeshua ben Yosef, while his full LDS name might be listed as Elder Jesus H. Christ of Latter-Day Saints? ;)
"No I am not a Mormon. I'm a member of the the Church of Yeshua ben Yosef of Latter-day Saints." :lol: :roll: This does not sound weird at all.

But doesn't "ben Yosef" mean son of Joseph. Should it be "ben Elohim?"
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 am

moksha wrote:
Angel wrote:
:lol:

What does the H. stand for?

:lol:

.. ok, now I'm really starting to think the JW's are onto something- short, simple, their name proves they are the true church, right? ... J/K.... a rose by any other name....
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:31 am

MoPag wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:32 am
Angel wrote:
:lol: Further proof that it is all about branding.
moksha wrote:
Angel wrote:
"No I am not a Mormon. I'm a member of the the Church of Yeshua ben Yosef of Latter-day Saints." :lol: :roll: This does not sound weird at all.

Yes, get it right - not "a" church, but "The" Church - capital "T"
please :)

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07 pm

MoPag wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:32 am
I suppose the clerks at the old Bethlehem Registrar's Office would go along with that change.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Angel wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 am
Oh my gods there's a wiki entry for this!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:53 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:06 pm
Angel wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 am
Oh my gods there's a wiki entry for this!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ
Looks as though someone needs to update the all-knowing wiki with the JHCOB initialism.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:33 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:53 pm
Looks as though someone needs to update the all-knowing wiki with the JHCOB initialism.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE