Ensign Blair Faith Promoting Story Now a Video!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

Ensign Blair Faith Promoting Story Now a Video!

Post by consiglieri » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Just saw this on Reddit:
Despite being shown by RFM to be false, the made up story of Ensign Blair saving a WWII transport ship in a typhoon by listening to the Holy Spook has been made into a video for youth
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... _the_made/

You can't make this stuff up!

jfro18

Re: Ensign Blair Faith Promoting Story Now a Video!

Post by jfro18 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:56 pm

I'd say I'm surprised but then again they just released a video on seer stones that is dishonest at every step.

But it takes some balls to promote a story on video that has been thoroughly debunked... I guess they hope people don't search it further.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:17 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:56 pm
I'd say I'm surprised but then again they just released a video on seer stones that is dishonest at every step.

But it takes some balls to promote a story on video that has been thoroughly debunked... I guess they hope people don't search it further.
As a TBM, I would never have questioned the story or looked for more information. Maybe I'm projecting, but I doubt many active members will be exposed to RFM's research.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxbmHqi ... ploademail

Radio Free Mormon exposed the sheer impossibility and falsehoods associated with this story in a thorough manner.

I suppose faith-promoting stories do not have to be real to build the faith of LDS youth. Think of this as a means to introduce these youngsters to the Way of Apologetics.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:28 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 pm
Think of this as a means to introduce these youngsters to the Way of Apologetics.
Not only do we have to inoculate the youth to church history, but also they have to be inoculated to bad apologetics.

What's funny to me is that the story is not that miraculous. He gave advice to the captain. So boring. I mean, if you're going to make stuff up, go for broke. Have him use the priesthood to levitate the ship over the waves and calm the seas, or something really cool.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:00 pm

I thought they were supposed to have learned the big lesson from the Paul H. Dunn episode....?

Everything had to be fact checked, right?

Somewhere in my youth I seem to recall the church teaching that even really smart people make mistakes but what makes them different from the rest is that they only have to learn their lessons once. :|
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:31 am

Culper Jr. wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:28 pm
moksha wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 pm
Think of this as a means to introduce these youngsters to the Way of Apologetics.
Not only do we have to inoculate the youth to church history, but also they have to be inoculated to bad apologetics.

What's funny to me is that the story is not that miraculous. He gave advice to the captain. So boring. I mean, if you're going to make stuff up, go for broke. Have him use the priesthood to levitate the ship over the waves and calm the seas, or something really cool.
Great idea, plus Consiglieri would have needed to dig a little deeper to disproved levitating ships and calming of the seas with priesthood power. In the end, Radio Free Mormon may have found the story to be unfalsifiable. Both Joseph Goebbels and Donald Trump figured out the efficacy of ignoring the little stuff and going for the whoppers - that same strategy could have been applied here. The angles of suspension from the rear of the ship became laughable for the current story, but the levitation and calming could have been applied from the upper deck or even the Ensign's hammock.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:21 am

I think they are finally going full alternative reality. Maybe cojcolds should hire some star wars writers to make the fantasy stories at least a little more interesting? Anyway, I can't wait for the video to come out.