Radio Free Mormon at Sunstone

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

Radio Free Mormon at Sunstone

Post by consiglieri » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:22 am

I have been asked by the good folks at Sunstone to make a presentation this year.

I am scheduled for an hour commencing at 3:45 p.m. on Friday, August 2nd.

The plan is to have a Q & A session.

I wanted to open it up here for any questions you would like RFM to address.

Unlike Elders Oaks and Ballard, the hard questions are not the ones I will avoid.

All the Best!

RFM

Rob4Hope

Re: Radio Free Mormon at Sunstone

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:03 pm

RFM, I have 2 requests that you are highly qualified to answer:

1. The collusion happening between the LDS church and Utah government, both locally as well as smaller groups like BYU PD. I'm aware of collusion happening even at low levels. For example, putting pressure on members to "donate" land to the church if wanted.

2. Any information on legal challenges the LDS church works through, and how their relationship with Kirton & McConkie really works. Sometimes it seems like that latter organization is really the one that makes all the policy.

3. A third one just for kicks. The LDS church has a HORRIBLE reputation for paying its bills. If a local vendor performs a service for the church, the LDS church holds out in Accounts Payable. I know vendors who refuse to do work for the church; not because they are anti-LDS, but because they don't get paid. I bet there is some real dirt in this area with the church, and I would be interested in learning more truth here.

Of these, the first 2 are the ones that would be the most interesting.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Of the eight sessions during that hour, envelope-to-the-head inspiration leads me to the conclusion that your's and Sam Youngs will be the most heavily attended sessions. Best wishes.

https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/2019-s ... -schedule/
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Oh boy. See you there!

I believe I heard a rumor that Corsair will also be presenting.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:26 pm

Rob4hope hit it out of the park with his excellent questions. I second his list.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:20 am

1. As a lawyer, have you ever had any professional interaction with Kirton McKoncie? If so, what what your impressions of them in both a professional and 'church' sense? If not, do you want to engage with them? How do you see such an interaction going?
2. What was your shelf breaker? How did you go from TMB to the resistance voice of legal grade reasoning that you are today?
3. What do you enjoy most about creating the Radio Free Mormon podcast? What is your biggest headache?
4. From the perceptive of a legal professional, what is the one thing about the church that frustrates/annoys/makes-you-want-slap-someone-upside-the-head the most?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 am

Thanks for all the great questions, everybody!

Just put up a brief promotional at Radio Free Mormon.

I think you will find it entertaining!

https://radiofreemormon.org/2019/07/rad ... ee-mormon/

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:58 pm

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 am
Thanks for all the great questions, everybody!

Just put up a brief promotional at Radio Free Mormon.

I think you will find it entertaining!

https://radiofreemormon.org/2019/07/rad ... ee-mormon/
Hilarious! I hope you're going to present it that way with video/audio clips.

So will this be your official unmasking or will you be wearing a bag over your head?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:44 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:58 pm
Hilarious! I hope you're going to present it that way with video/audio clips.
Imagine how some Brother Jake-type collages would spice up Consiglieri's presentation!
So will this be your official unmasking or will you be wearing a bag over your head?
Professor Louis Midgley sitting in the audience with a bag of prunes ready to throw at the real-life Consiglieri. Maybe even a subpoena server for a kangaroo Court of Love. Scary stuff.

Symposium Question: Brother Consiglieri, has Radio Free Mormon made creative Mormon mythology the source of choice for future General Conference talks? BTW, consider yourself sustained.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:10 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:18 pm
Oh boy. See you there!

I believe I heard a rumor that Corsair will also be presenting.
That is true. I am doing a presentation on the Mesa Easter Pageant which should be enough information to entirely dox me. I really can't answer to "Corsair" at a conference like this, especially since my wife may be following the proceedings.

I do look forward to meeting RFM and thanking him for his contributions.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:31 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:03 pm
RFM, I have 2 requests that you are highly qualified to answer:

1. The collusion happening between the LDS church and Utah government, both locally as well as smaller groups like BYU PD. I'm aware of collusion happening even at low levels. For example, putting pressure on members to "donate" land to the church if wanted.
I would add to this one the recent medical marijuana proposal the public passed that the church gutted and replaced with it's own. I believe Rocky Anderson, former mayor of SLC, has some pending litigation against TSCC for that one. I'm sure there are other such Utah laws and props that they have also done the same thing to over the years.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:56 am

Just wanted everybody here to know I am copying and pasting all your great questions, together with questions from other sources, into a word document for use in prepping for Sunstone.

I am scheduled to be presenting one week from today!

Would it be admitting too much to say I am nervous?

Thanks again for all your help with this!

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:48 pm

consiglieri wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:56 am
Would it be admitting too much to say I am nervous?
Just pretend you're giving a sacrament meeting talk and nobody is listening, just biding their time until the closing prayer.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:23 am

Here is another potential question for RFM at Sunstone:

Elder X presents a General Conference story about how he and his wife were at a "G" rated drive-in movie when they noticed that the bucket of chicken they had picked up on the way was loaded with fried rats!

Elder X and his wife joined in prayer and their bucket of fried rats soon took on the countenance of Kentucky Fried Chicken which they gratefully consumed to nourish and strengthen their bodies.

How would you and Bill Reel approach this faith-promoting story?
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:32 pm

Seems we are in need of a Return and Report from Consiglieri and other attendees.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:22 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:32 pm
Seems we are in need of a Return and Report from Consiglieri and other attendees.
See my report in the NOM friends at Sunstone thread.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:48 am

-- Moksha

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:24 am

RFM came out from under the cover hiding him. He showed his face in public.

OH MY!!!!!

Was a fun presentation.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:19 pm

I listened to the presentation and lived it. Thank you for sharing and revealing yourself. I’ve read a few of your articles on Rational Faith.
~2bizE