BOM Play in SLC this Summer

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
RubinHighlander

BOM Play in SLC this Summer

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:22 pm

The Book of Mormon play is back behind the Zion curtain this summer and I just spent $200 for DW and I to go and see it on it's last day on a Sunday night. I hope it's worth it. I figure it's $200 that I didn't pay in tithing to the COB so regardless of if I like the play or not I like that I didn't pay that money to the COB and would much rather spend it on anything else!

So if you've seen the play, what's your review/opinion? Based on what I've heard I think we'll really enjoy it.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Re: BOM Play in SLC this Summer

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:30 pm

I watched a pirate video of it that was on YouTube for a while and I thought it was excellent. It's not just about making fun of Mormons, it is really powerful and touching in its own way. I'm trying to get Mrs. Hagoth to go with me but her friend (who hasn't actually seen it) has convinced her that it's immoral and degrading. I wonder what would happen if I ask for one ticket for my birthday.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

redjay

Post by redjay » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:57 am

Jealous. I'm sure you'll have a ball.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:33 am

I've never been a fan of musicals in general, so if I proposed seeing this at some point it would go over about as poorly as one could imagine.

But I know a few friends who saw it and they all LOVED it... none are mormons so I'm sure that helps, but they kept telling me I needed to see it because of my past w/ the church.

I'll probably never see it... but I kind of want to now and I really don't like musicals. :lol:

I think you'll enjoy it and I bet you'll be more than happy you bought the tickets!

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:53 am

I saw this a few years ago during a quick trip to Seattle. That also happened to be the one and only time that I've had a chance to meet up with some NOM posters in person--a few of us went out to dinner.

The show is very clever but pretty vulgar in places. The music is catchy (and surprisingly clean, with a few notable exceptions).

I found the tone to be oddly affectionate toward Mormons specifically, with its more serious criticisms being aimed at religion in general.

Coming at it from a Mormon background, a few minor things will jump out at you that they didn't get quite right. I could have done without some of the more lowbrow humor, but overall I found the musical entertaining and I'm glad I got to see it.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Ghost wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:53 am
I saw this a few years ago during a quick trip to Seattle. That also happened to be the one and only time that I've had a chance to meet up with some NOM posters in person--a few of us went out to dinner.

The show is very clever but pretty vulgar in places. The music is catchy (and surprisingly clean, with a few notable exceptions).

I found the tone to be oddly affectionate toward Mormons specifically, with its more serious criticisms being aimed at religion in general.

Coming at it from a Mormon background, a few minor things will jump out at you that they didn't get quite right. I could have done without some of the more lowbrow humor, but overall I found the musical entertaining and I'm glad I got to see it.
I agree with your review. I took my DW in the as she first started to acknowledge to me that she was on the outside of belief in the church. There are some really funny lines, a few of the songs are great, and overall it is pretty entertaining.

The low points are a few really crass jokes and a song. We also had a drunk, obviously exmo lady who was super obnoxious in the crowd.

I dont like spending big bucks on a few hours of entertainment but the show was good and more than that, it was a very memorable threshold to cross with my DW in the faith crisis process.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:10 pm

I'd have told you to save your money friend, but since you didn't I hope you have a good time. I was considering going to see it when it was new, but I watched a twenty minute excerpt of it on youTube and found it almost painful to watch. And I love Parker and Stone, I just think this was stale as hell.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:48 pm

I LOVED it. I find a lot of musicals boring, but this one was personal and interesting. I am a big fan of low brow humor and Book of Mormon delivers that in spades, while also being thoughtful. I consider attending it to be one of my post-transition milestones.

There were a lot of exmos there in cosplay, some pretty in-your-face, that made me anxious, but once the play started I was loving it.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Random

Post by Random » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:57 pm

Has the play come and gone yet? What did you think of it?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:37 pm

The show is still playing through Sept 1, 2019.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Random wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:57 pm
Aug 1-20
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:10 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:37 pm
That's another one I've wanted to see. Have you seen any of them?
--Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:30 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:10 pm
That's another one I've wanted to see. Have you seen any of them?
I saw one from back in the late '70s. How can you go wrong with something the Deseret News calls "vulgar, crude, tasteless?" If you added the words calorie-laden and apostate you would have a hit worthy of Broadway.

BTW, wasn't the song "I Believe" with the African warlord great?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:33 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:09 pm
Random wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:57 pm
Aug 1-20
I hope I remember to check back. I'd really like to know what you think of it. (I've never seen it; that's why I'm interested.)
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:42 am

NOM brothers and sisters, I did go down to the Salty City last Sabbath day to see the BOM Play. I found Satan there, stirring up the prosperity of Adam into purchasing and consuming expensive alcoholic venue beverages.

So overall I mostly liked it; about a 30/70 split for me. There were some brilliant actors and singing of course and lots of very funny and relate-able humor. Where it gets down right cringe worthy had nothing to do with the mormon cultural jokes and references, but the attempt to create humor from the use of third world (takes place in Uganda) issues, such as aids, female mutilation, and child sodomy. I was not sensitive to the people having those problems telling God to F off, that part I get, but they spent way too much time using those issues over and over again and I found it quite uncomfortable and too adolescent. I understand the writer was going for a very sharp point here, that white kids from upper class USA fly into a very poor country like that and wake up (sort of) to the harsh realities that the natives have to deal with, armed only with a promise that if they read the BOM, all their wildest dreams will come true.

There are some real gems of music and choreography in the show; the "I Believe" song of course, but the song I liked the most was the "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream" was brilliant! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZSRan7IpdM

I love how they kept it up to date, by mentioning RSMs name and throwing in a couple of Starbucks cup dancers in the Spooky song.

So I'd give it 3/5 stars. I'd definitely rewatch parts of it, but skip all the really nasty stuff.

This is my report.
--Douglas Adams

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:25 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:37 pm
This has been extended thru September 15th.

I saw it last night. OMG, it was freakin’ hilarious. If you can, go see it this year! Worth every penny. I laughed the entire time.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:48 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:42 am
NOM brothers and sisters, I did go down to the Salty City last Sabbath day to see the BOM Play. I found Satan there, stirring up the prosperity of Adam into purchasing and consuming expensive alcoholic venue beverages.

So overall I mostly liked it; about a 30/70 split for me. There were some brilliant actors and singing of course and lots of very funny and relate-able humor. Where it gets down right cringe worthy had nothing to do with the mormon cultural jokes and references, but the attempt to create humor from the use of third world (takes place in Uganda) issues, such as aids, female mutilation, and child sodomy. I was not sensitive to the people having those problems telling God to F off, that part I get, but they spent way too much time using those issues over and over again and I found it quite uncomfortable and too adolescent. I understand the writer was going for a very sharp point here, that white kids from upper class USA fly into a very poor country like that and wake up (sort of) to the harsh realities that the natives have to deal with, armed only with a promise that if they read the BOM, all their wildest dreams will come true.

There are some real gems of music and choreography in the show; the "I Believe" song of course, but the song I liked the most was the "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream" was brilliant! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZSRan7IpdM

I love how they kept it up to date, by mentioning RSMs name and throwing in a couple of Starbucks cup dancers in the Spooky song.

So I'd give it 3/5 stars. I'd definitely rewatch parts of it, but skip all the really nasty stuff.

This is my report.
I saw it in NYC recently and felt the same way.