Will Nelson apologize to the NAACP?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Will Nelson apologize to the NAACP?

Post by 2bizE » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Tomorrrow, Pres. Nelson is to speak at the NAACP conference. What are the odds of him apologizing to the NAACP for the church’s racist past?
~2bizE

jfro18

Re: Will Nelson apologize to the NAACP?

Post by jfro18 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:55 pm

I saw this posted by John Dehlin on Facebook and then I saw someone linked an article I believe from Jana Reiss talking about it.

Personally I can't see him apologizing because it opens up so many problems -- if he apologizes and claims it was just men making a bad choice, it throws every prophet from Brigham to SWK under the bus. You could take it a step further and say he's throwing God under the bus since it was considered doctrine, but I know apologists would never concede that.

On the other hand, Nelson is a legacy oriented guy and seems willing to do what he needs to do in order to cement his own legacy... so maybe he does.

But the bigger question to me is - does it matter? If he apologizes, the problems that led to it are still there. If he apologizes, it just further shows this is a man made real estate company parading around as a religion.

I guess it just doesn't matter... this is all theater for the members to feel like things are happening when it fact nothing really is changing.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:55 pm

I think the Church made a hefty donation to the NAACP last year when they had representatives from that group to the celebration of the 40th anniversary of ending the Church's racial purity policy.

If there was no apology forthcoming last year, there will be none this year, especially at an event for some other organization. As President Oaks would put it, "Being infallible means never having to say you're sorry".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:39 pm

Did I miss Dallin F. Oaks changing the doctrine of no apologies?

No?

Yeah, Russell F. isn't going to apologize. Now way in heck!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:31 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:55 pm
But the bigger question to me is - does it matter? If he apologizes, the problems that led to it are still there. If he apologizes, it just further shows this is a man made real estate company parading around as a religion.

I guess it just doesn't matter... this is all theater for the members to feel like things are happening when it fact nothing really is changing.
In other words, the church is not what it claims to be regardless of the actions of its leaders. I can't imagine RMN apologizing. He will just ignore the issues.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:12 pm

Apparently the answer is... no.

I know, I know - we're all shocked.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:58 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:12 pm
Apparently the answer is... no.

I know, I know - we're all shocked.
Let’s not forget who this is for - it’s a PR stunt for the members, it isn’t designed to reach out to the black community in any meaningful way, and certainly not designed to redress past wrongs. It mostly just helps existing members say “see, the Church was never racist. isn’t President Nelson amazing?”
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:33 pm

Didn’t happen. Maybe he thinks that everyone has forgotten about the Mormon racist past.
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:54 pm

I keep glancing at the title of this thread and think it's a thread about Willie Nelson for an instant before I realize it's really about some other dude with the last name of Nelson, and I am disappoint.

What does Willie Nelson have to do with MORmONism?
You don't know? Me either.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Imagine the confrontation between Brigham and Russell.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:32 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:54 pm
I keep glancing at the title of this thread and think it's a thread about Willie Nelson for an instant before I realize it's really about some other dude with the last name of Nelson, and I am disappoint.

I'm laughing because I've been doing the exact same thing: what did Willie Nelson say to upset the NAACP and why are they discussing it in doctrinal discussions? Every time I log in, and then the deflation when I realize it's referring to THAT Nelson. :lol:
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:22 am

wtfluff wrote:

Haha I read this thread thinking it was about him too.

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Nelson did not apologize, but the guy (Brown) and introduced him implyed he did, maybe in private?
From the SLTrib reporting on the event:
Nelson did not apologize for the church’s previous racial policy, but Brown seemed to suggest the faith already had.

The Latter-day Saints “had the courage to say, ‘We have unfortunately been complicit in the evil of racism in this nation,’” Brown said. “‘But unlike some persons in this country, we are humble enough to say we are sorry, we are going to change our ways, we are going to do a new thing, sing a new song, talk a new talk, walk a new walk.’”

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:37 pm

11f38wayne1-469761.jpg
As the Duke used to say, "Never say you're sorry, it's a sign of weakness..."
11f38wayne1-469761.jpg (18.48 KiB) Viewed 6801 times
As the Duke used to say, "Never apologize... it's a sign of weakness."

The problem with these guys is they were raised on too many John Wayne movies and didn't read their scriptures and liken them to themselves. Church doctrine, scripture and policy is always intended for someone else.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 pm

As the Duke used to say, "Never say you're sorry, it's a sign of weakness..."
I suspect that Vlad the Impaler, Ghengis Khan, Joseph Goebbels, and Joseph Stalin all said the same thing.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:48 pm

wtfluff wrote:

Well he does own a nice ranch in central UT.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:25 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:48 pm
wtfluff wrote:

Well he does own a nice ranch in central UT.
I heard he sold that long ago. The "WN" gate was still standing last time I drove through, but according to this story, Willie no longer has a Utah connection:

Is that really Willie Nelson’s ranch?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:03 am

A New Name wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 pm
Nelson did not apologize, but the guy (Brown) and introduced him implyed he did, maybe in private?
Nelson did not apologize for the church’s previous racial policy, but Brown seemed to suggest the faith already had.

The Latter-day Saints “had the courage to say, ‘We have unfortunately been complicit in the evil of racism in this nation,’” Brown said. “‘But unlike some persons in this country, we are humble enough to say we are sorry, we are going to change our ways, we are going to do a new thing, sing a new song, talk a new talk, walk a new walk.’”
Maybe someone was taken in by the fake apology hoax that was released by Jonathan Streeter last year...
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:05 pm

oliblish wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:03 am
A New Name wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Maybe someone was taken in by the fake apology hoax that was released by Jonathan Streeter last year...
Not sure where Brown got that idea, the Church has never come even remotely close to saying "We have unfortunately been complicit in the evil of racism in this nation", and has never been "humble enough to say we are sorry" about anything.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph