Secret combinations

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Secret combinations

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:25 pm

Do we have any secret combinations to help us identify a NOM? Like a secret grin, handshake, or head scratch?
~2bizE

Hagoth

Re: Secret combinations

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:26 am

Maybe something like:
Q: Do you sell your signs and tokens for money?
A: Of course not! I paid too much for them.

A funny little story about this. We used to have an informal NOM lunch gathering at SLC Gateway food court. Every once in a while a newcomer would post that they would be there and we would have to try to identify each other and flag them down. One time we spotted a likely candidate and one member of the group (wtfluff?) approached him and said something like, "Are looking for a group of apostates from Mormonism?" He said, "No. But I probably should be."

We used to say, "just look for the people with a dark cloud of apostasy hanging over their heads."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:57 am

Right 15, Left 26, Right 37
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:58 am

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, Start.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:55 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:26 am
A funny little story about this. We used to have an informal NOM lunch gathering at SLC Gateway food court. Every once in a while a newcomer would post that they would be there and we would have to try to identify each other and flag them down. One time we spotted a likely candidate and one member of the group (wtfluff?) approached him and said something like, "Are looking for a group of apostates from Mormonism?" He said, "No. But I probably should be."
That wasn't me that questioned the candidate, though I do have a fluffy memory of that interaction.

"I probably should be." CLASSIC!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Ho Lee Turtle

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:00 pm

I think we should have a small key chain made in the shape of a kinder hook plate with an impression of a tapir on one side and the words “new order Mormon” in the Deseret alphabet on the reverse side. People could use it for their keys, as a zipper pull, hang it from the rear view mirror, or as a dangle on their bag, briefcase, or purse. Subtle, but easy for members of our nom tribe to identify each other out in the wild.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:51 am

During the sacrament prayer, look up and find others with their eyes open. If they wink and smile at you, they are NOM.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:45 am

I have seen this question posed in other forums. It would be nice to have a way to identify people who would be sympathetic to a faith transition. Looking around during a prayer is a good one, as mentioned above. I have sprinkled phrases from the temple into my conversation. It's the kind of thing that a strong believer wouldn't do and won't acknowledge. But it does raise the interest of semi-believers in the crowd.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:29 am

Be openly feminist. Be an open LGBT supporter. If those don’t work for you, get a tie pin of a Native American chief riding a tapir.

I was both an open feminist and a proud mother of a married lesbian and what I could not pass for was a TBM.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:32 am

alas wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:29 am
... get a tie pin of a Native American chief riding a tapir...
I was going to mention this. Shout-out to Hagoth!

http://www.tapirrider.com/pins.html

Though I very rarely wear a tie any more; especially if I attend church. I guess I'd have to wear the pin on my grungy white tank-top. ;)

I also love the Kinderhook plate key-chain idea.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:51 am

I could make some sweet enamel pins or keychains if someone actually wanted them... I've been doing that for something else and they look pretty sweet and the minimum quantities are super low. :lol:

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:22 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:45 am
Looking around during a prayer is a good one, as mentioned above.
Naw, that's no good 'cause:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekMZuK10S20
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:32 am
Just to be clear, I did make the image but I have nothing to do with the creation of this product. I have, however considered creating a chrome bumper fish with his head stuck in a hat.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:44 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Just to be clear, I did make the image but I have nothing to do with the creation of this product. I have, however considered creating a chrome bumper fish with his head stuck in a hat.
Yeah, maybe I should have mentioned you were only responsible for the image.

The head-in-hat fish is an awesome idea also; Additionally, it would make a great key-chain (of any type of pin, or necklace pendant, or ear-rings, or "CTR" type ring, or...)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:32 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:32 am
I don't stick anything on my bumpers. I would buy a window sticker version.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:08 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:22 pm
Corsair wrote:
All the more reason to do this! If people are unintentionally chuckling during inappropriate moments in the prayer, they might be just the kind of person you want to meet for coffee...

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:18 pm

Shift to the right
Further to the right
Stand up
Sit down
Tithe, Tithe, Tithe!
Yay Even Jesus Club!!!

Say this and the secret entrance door at the Pearly Gates will open.
You will be frisked by Orin Porter Rockwell, then you can enter.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:36 pm

I remember once in gospel doctrine class the teacher had us turn to the Book of Abraham Facsimiles and talked about them for quite a while. I was a believer at the time and thought it was kind of weird and tuned most of it out. I look back on that now and wonder if he was sending out a signal.

One way I have though of to signal others would be to bring up Ronald Poelman's 1984 conference talk in conversation and see what the reaction is. I would think most people who know about that talk might be NOMish.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:50 pm

Corsair wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:08 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Corsair wrote:
All the more reason to do this! If people are unintentionally chuckling during inappropriate moments in the prayer, they might be just the kind of person you want to meet for coffee...
Oh man, I would love it if Henry Eyering would sit down and drink a cup of coffee with me!

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:52 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:50 pm
Corsair wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:08 pm
Hagoth wrote:

Oh man, I would love it if Henry Eyering would sit down and drink a cup of coffee with me!
Coffee makes Henry cry.

Oh wait; EVERYTHING makes Henry cry.

Sorry... Carry On!

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander