Request to RFM and Bill Reel - Episode on Mosaic of Problematic Mormon History

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Arcturus

Request to RFM and Bill Reel - Episode on Mosaic of Problematic Mormon History

Post by Arcturus » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:51 am

Dear consiglieri,

I think it would be fantastic if you and Bill Reel put together an episode (or multi-part episode) that would act as a mosaic in covering the problematic points of Mormon history from the beginning to the present time. Would love to hear you and Bill highlight what you believe to be the most important and problematic points of each piece of the mosaic. I think this could be a classic for those traveling the rabbit hole or referring open minded TBMs in exploring some of the critical points of history that drive people away from the church.

I'll suggest some candidate pieces of the mosaic, and I'm sure you could get many more and possibly better points from contributors to this forum.

Cheers,
Arcturus

Beginning the mosaic:
  • The Smith family connection to Dartmouth and the borrowing of Dartmouth theology (Behrens 2006)
  • Messy timeline of burned over district which catalyzed Joseph's search for truth (see this forum: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4401)
  • Treasure digging (Melonakos interview on MS)
  • First vision accounts
  • BofM translation process and similarity to some concurrent literature
  • Joseph's attempt to sell the BofM
  • Fanny Alger
  • Messy priesthood restoration timeline and Whitmer reaction
  • Swedenborgism and Mormon afterlife theology
  • Polygamy
  • Masonry/temple
  • Council of 50 (Grant Palmer's last interviews on MS
  • Mormons persecuting locals (challenge the popular notion of Mormons' being victims of persecution
  • Printing press destruction and Carthage
  • Martyrdom
  • Samuel Smith timely passing
  • BY's supposed transfiguration (Van Wagoner 1995 Dialogue article)
  • Apostolic Coup-D-Etat
  • BY's wealth
  • BY's Adam-God doctrine
  • BY's blood atonement doctrine
  • BY being a first-rate a**hole (treatment of employees, favoritism with wives)
  • Mountain Meadows
  • BY's suspicious death
  • John Taylor's revelation from Christ on polygamy being eternal
  • Timeliness/convenience of first manifesto
  • Second manifesto
  • Adam-God coverup
  • Multiple first vision accounts coverup
  • Ronald E. Poelman 1984 coverup
  • Changes to barbaric temple rituals
  • POX and Christofferson's lack of involvement in policy (interview with Greg Prince)
  • POX overturning
  • Mormonism's wealth and <1% charitable contributions (Mormon Wikileaks)
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Just This Guy

Re: Request to RFM and Bill Reel - Episode on Mosaic of Problematic Mormon History

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 am

This sounds a bit like a podcast version of the CES Letter. How effective it is to a TMB/Semi-TBM would probably be about the same. The shotgun tactic of throwing everything out there to see what hits. That being said, I would find it interesting.

A few other things you can add to the list:

* Over glorification & whitewashing of hand cart disasters.
* Mark Hoffman affair.
* GBH's no paid clergy statement to "modest stipend", to later revaluations of $120K+ salaries, plus benefits.
* Long history of covering up abuse by various members of leadership and paying off victims.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Red Ryder

Re: Request to RFM and Bill Reel - Episode on Mosaic of Problematic Mormon History

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 am

Sounds like your asking for a CES Podcast? :lol:

RFM and Bill seem more geared toward poking the church leadership and pointing out their lies.

It’s a great suggestion! What do you think Consig?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:12 pm

Maybe bring in the host from the Mormon History Podcast for this one?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:26 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 am
This sounds a bit like a podcast version of the CES Letter. How effective it is to a TMB/Semi-TBM would probably be about the same. The shotgun tactic of throwing everything out there to see what hits. That being said, I would find it interesting.
Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 am
Sounds like your asking for a CES Podcast? :lol:
:lol: I had this thought typing up the request. Maybe it's just me, but when I was a TBM I had a tinge of guilt when I'd read published material that I presumed to be anti-Mormon. However, when I went down the rabbit hole for some reason the same guilt wasn't present when I'd listen to critical discussions.

That being said, if a portion of the targeted audience is TBMs, I think they're more likely to entertain a podcast recommended by a friend, say on their commute to-and-from work, as opposed to sitting down and reading critical material.
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:01 pm

Arcturus wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:26 pm

That being said, if a portion of the targeted audience is TBMs, I think they're more likely to entertain a podcast recommended by a friend, say on their commute to-and-from work, as opposed to sitting down and reading critical material.
Remove reading the threatening literature. Then add a friendly, inviting, well spoken and well informed voice and you eliminate the "Boogey Man".

People are more inclined to say, "This guy is just like ME. He talks and sounds just like me. I can relate to this person."

Suddenly the false charges of "anti-mormon" and "Satan's henchman" disappear. You become another Mormon asking honest questions about things that don't make sense and don't calculate. And what's more you're doing it without fear. People actually admire that honest, fearless questioner who isn't intimidated by authority. A real voice means a lot.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:10 pm

Palerider wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:01 pm
Arcturus wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:26 pm

Remove reading the threatening literature. Then add a friendly, inviting, well spoken and well informed voice and you eliminate the "Boogey Man".

People are more inclined to say, "This guy is just like ME. He talks and sounds just like me. I can relate to this person."

Suddenly the false charges of "anti-mormon" and "Satan's henchman" disappear. You become another Mormon asking honest questions about things that don't make sense and don't calculate. And what's more you're doing it without fear. People actually admire that honest, fearless questioner who isn't intimidated by authority. A real voice means a lot.
I agree.

Case in point was the Sandra Tanner episode. In my mind she was the rapid venom spewing, baby smashing, anti Mormon who interfered with my investigators gateway to salvation.

In reality, she’s just a nice kind grandma with an awesome bs detector who saw flaws in the Mormon product and wasn’t afraid to stand up against the church.

Consig, it sounds like you’re the right guy to do this.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:10 pm

Case in point was the Sandra Tanner episode. In my mind she was the rapid venom spewing, baby smashing, anti Mormon who interfered with my investigators gateway to salvation.

In reality, she’s just a nice kind grandma with an awesome bs detector who saw flaws in the Mormon product and wasn’t afraid to stand up against the church.
I forgot to mention the significance of having someone speak to us as a HUMAN BEING.

That ostentatious, mealy mouthed robotic, CES speak that is imitated by all GAs and GA wannabes that we hear every conference is just so.....loaded with crap.

It neither gives nor projects any more authority than the amount of truth found in each talk. And there is a great deal of falsehood mixed in with every conference talk.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:20 pm

This sounds like a great idea, though somewhat overwhelming at present.

Just put up a new podcast (in addition to one from last Sunday) dealing with Kwaku the youthful Mormon apologist.

Wrapping up things here at the office before flying out to Utah for my presentation at Sunstone Friday afternoon.

So much to do, so little time!

Love you all!

Kisses!