Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:50 pm

I tried a bit of an edible last night. That was...anticlimactic.

I technically took it for tension/pain and thought maybe would be fun too.

I did get sleepy 2 hours later. I didn't even get the munchies let alone have a high.

Advice or tips?

I had about 2.5mg.

RubinHighlander

Re: 420

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:21 am

Edibles are hit and miss and dosing is a roll of the dice. Typically 1/2 of a gummy has been plenty to kick me off into a pleasurable euphoria and really enjoy the taste of food and sound of music at a higher level. There are so many strains and combinations now it can be hard to navigate. Typically the products are pegged into three categories: Sativa, Indica and Hybrids. Sativa is suppose to be more in the silly active realm while Indica is more of a mellow sedative. Sometimes it's the strain or just the percentage of THC vs CBD. CBD is great for pain management and provides a bit of mental uplift but no euphoria. THC is the thing that provides the euphoria.

If you take one edible the first time, you might not feel much. THC takes time to get into your brain. If you were to take that same dose one day later you will likely have a different experience. Also, each person synthesizes differently. Because DW takes CBD in the morning, her dose for euphoria later that day is much higher than mine. With edibles it's typically about a 30 minute ramp up with 2-3 hours of euphoria then tapers down. With smoke or vape you can get the effects within seconds to minutes.

Some advice: don't smoke or vape on top of an edible, it's akin to mixing different alcoholic drinks and can get you a ride on a dark unpleasant dragon (spins, nausea, etc.)

Hope this helps.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:19 am

It depends on what your goal is. What are your goals?....Pain relief, anxiety, stress, relaxation, sleep, silly/high, etc. Edibles generally take awhile to hit you. Generally anywhere from 30 min. to 2 hours to begin feeling the effects. No matter your desired effects, each person is different even when taking the same thing. I like micro-dosing because it allows me to dial in more of what I want in the end. Also, it’s not unusual the first time or two to not feel much in the way of effects.

I’m not one who likes getting high just for the f*cked up heavy head-trippy feeling. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s just not my thing. I personally just don’t like feeling out of control or paranoid. Happy and relaxed is good for me.

I keep track of what strains I try, potency (THC/CBD/other levels & ratios), how I’m affected, how long it takes, amount and type of delivery - edibles, vape pen, bud/flower, etc.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 pm

CBD does absolutely nothing for me whatsoever. I may as well eat olive oil. Maybe I'm immune to marijuana?

I'll try slightly more sometime and see...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:05 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 pm
CBD does absolutely nothing for me whatsoever. I may as well eat olive oil. Maybe I'm immune to marijuana?

My DW takes 50MGs of CBD each morning for her arthritis pain. I think there are varying levels of quality with CBD and it's quite trendy.

Next time you try edibles, try taking like a 1/2 of one then another one a day later. Either that or borrow a pen and just keep hitting it until it hits you back (wait a minute between hits) and you'll figure out where your level is.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:45 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:05 pm
Thoughtful wrote:

My DW takes 50MGs of CBD each morning for her arthritis pain. I think there are varying levels of quality with CBD and it's quite trendy.

Next time you try edibles, try taking like a 1/2 of one then another one a day later. Either that or borrow a pen and just keep hitting it until it hits you back (wait a minute between hits) and you'll figure out where your level is.
I did the same dose as before last night and didn't even get sleepy. Was groggy/anxious all night (normal for me). Will try again tonight to see about consecutive days having a different effect. If that doesn't work I'll go up in amount.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:45 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:05 pm
Thoughtful wrote:

I did the same dose as before last night and didn't even get sleepy. Was groggy/anxious all night (normal for me). Will try again tonight to see about consecutive days having a different effect. If that doesn't work I'll go up in amount.
There's also a lot of variation in the percentages of THC and different strains in edibles; it could be the one you have just doesn't have the effects that work well for you. Might need to hit a dispensary and ask them about what you've experienced with the one you have and see what they recommend. If you are on any other types of anti-depressants, those can also get in the way, so dosing up would definitely help.
--Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:23 am

Thoughtful wrote:
CBD does absolutely nothing for me whatsoever. I may as well eat olive oil.
Have you tried consecrating it first?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:30 pm

That's funny. :lol:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Well, it seems to help me sleep, but otherwise no real effects so far. Ive tried it a number of times now.

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:20 pm

Where are you at in terms of dose right now, and what strain is in your edible, sativa or indica?

They say sativa is more "energizing" and indica is more "relaxing". I tend to agree that I get more "effect" from sativa.

Edibles are great and my preferred method of 420 enjoyment, but it does take time to figure out how much to take, and to know how long it will take to hit you, and also how long it will last.

I am not an expert by any means, but I have tried four or five different types of edibles, and found ones that I like and work best for me. I think you have to experiment to see what you like. I like a specific brand of cookies, and a candy that is kind of like a starburst. I haven't liked the hard candies. Ask the people you are buying from...guaranteed that they will give you some good suggestions from experience.

I think try a different strain (if you have used just one), or maybe even something that mixes the two.

In my case, I take an edible and feel effects around 75-90 minutes later. 5mg = noticable, but not overwhelming. 10mg = heading to party mode. 20 mg = Going with Harold and Kumar to White Castle. Add alcohol to any of the foregoing (aka "cross fade") = prepare to burn through one or more of your nine lives (not recommended).

I think you just need to be patient, and mix it up a bit. Take time, add a bit more, but just be sure you are in a place where if you end up super high, you can enjoy it, have a good time, and be safe.
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:13 pm

Here's some more antidotal info from someone who's tried edibles a few times. I should mention that I never tried pot when I was younger, and have never smoked anything ever in my life.

For me, a 10mg hybrid edible leads to a definite high, very pleasurable. Senses are intensified. Nice feeling. Don't drive. 5mg is definitely less than half the bang. Kinda feel it, kinda relaxed. 3mg, about the same as 5. I do not feel impaired at all. Senses are not heightened, just a little more relaxed. I've not tried anything more than 10mg in one shot.

My wife tried 10mg twice. Once, she fell asleep before it really started to work and didn't even sleep that great. The second time she tried it we watched a comedy show and she didn't like the feeling because she said she couldn't catch jokes. She'd forget the beginning by the time the punch line arrived. She didn't report the heightened enjoyment of senses either. She's does suffer with anxiety and takes Xanax on occasion.

For me, 10mg takes about 45min to an hour to kick in. At first I notice relaxation and no pain, if I've been feeling any pain. Then comes the time goofiness... Time feels weird, like it's moving slower, then faster .. and it's hard to estimate. Then there's a bit of paranoia, though it's not bad, especially if I understand this is part of it. Finally everything just starts bring so cool. Visual Patterns, music, touch, sex is all intensified.

Though, as I've learned... Your mileage and experiences may vary greatly.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:31 am

While edibles are a nice discreet way of partaking of cannabis, I've never liked how long they typically take to kick in. I moved on to a vape pen with oil concentrate. That was much better because the smell dissipated quickly, and I could feel the effects faster as well. I have some High CBD:Low THC ratio cartridges that I like. However, the recent THC Vape health issues with the (black market/fake) oil cartridges has me concerned. I bought mine from legitimate dispensaries, so I'm not worried about what I already have. The difficulty for me was easily finding what I wanted in an oil concentrate. Finding the strains I wanted in flower (bud/herb) was much easier. The bong was more trouble that it was worth, so rolling a joint became my default method. Overall, the issues I have with joint/pipe/bong consumption is that it stinks, you waste a lot herb, and because the flame gets so hot, much of the beneficial components are lost.

In talking to my sister, she uses a dry herb vaporizer and suggested I get one. I did last week, and I absolutely LOVE it. After looking into a lot of different models, I bought the Healthy Rips FURY EDGE. It's a fantastic unit. For me, this is the best method of consumption. The smell dissipates quickly, it's discreet, and you don't lose nearly as much of the beneficial components because the of the lower temperatures and you aren't combusting the herb. Your temperature really just depends on what effects are wanting to achieve. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the FIREFLY 2+ instead because it's a little more efficient.

The strains you choose make a big difference. Not every dispensary carries the same strains, so you have to research and know what you want. Then you've got to spend some time finding which dispensaries are currently carrying what you're looking for. Inventories change all the time. Right now I am working through some Pineapple Tonic flower (2:1 ratio of 9.34% CBD:THC 4.60%). I've also got some Purple Punch flower( 0:1 ratio of 0.00% CBD:THC 21.43%). I like them both. The effects begin to hit me within a few minutes of consumption.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:56 pm

Hermey wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:31 am
In talking to my sister, she uses a dry herb vaporizer and suggested I get one. I did last week, and I absolutely LOVE it. After looking into a lot of different models, I bought the Healthy Rips FURY EDGE. It's a fantastic unit. For me, this is the best method of consumption. The smell dissipates quickly, it's discreet, and you don't lose nearly as much of the beneficial components because the of the lower temperatures and you aren't combusting the herb. Your temperature really just depends on what effects are wanting to achieve. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the FIREFLY 2+ instead because it's a little more efficient.

The strains you choose make a big difference. Not every dispensary carries the same strains, so you have to research and know what you want. Then you've got to spend some time finding which dispensaries are currently carrying what you're looking for. Inventories change all the time. Right now I am working through some Pineapple Tonic flower (2:1 ratio of 9.34% CBD:THC 4.60%). I've also got some Purple Punch flower( 0:1 ratio of 0.00% CBD:THC 21.43%). I like them both. The effects begin to hit me within a few minutes of consumption.
Thanks for the tips Hermy. I enjoy the vape cartridges as a quick goto, I totally agree with you on the combustion issues. Edibles still have their place for pre-concert ramp up and other outings. I do enjoy my bong on the weekends sometimes when I'm chilling out in the backyard. I'm going to look into that dry herb option.
--Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Sativa, 10mg, starbust type chewies. No effect other than mildly sleepy, with or without alcohol. I do get a buzz from alcohol typically. No difference with pot products. No real impact from either CBD oil products or 420 edibles so far. Maybe Im immune? With rx meds, I usually respond quickly and to lower than expected doses for medical treatment. Hmm.

Definitely not interested in smoking anything in any format.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:18 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 pm
Sativa, 10mg, starbust type chewies. No effect other than mildly sleepy, with or without alcohol. I do get a buzz from alcohol typically. No difference with pot products. No real impact from either CBD oil products or 420 edibles so far. Maybe Im immune? With rx meds, I usually respond quickly and to lower than expected doses for medical treatment. Hmm.

Do another chew the day after you did the first one and see if that kicks in. If there's no THC in your system for more than a week or two it just doesn't kick off sometimes. Also, CBD and Anti-depressants get in the way and you might need 1.5 to 2x the dose.
--Douglas Adams

BringEmYoung

Post by BringEmYoung » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:34 am

+1 for dry herb vaping. I use the Dynavap. It's cheap and effective. 1 gram lasts me several months (I use once or twice a week). I tried edibles, but after being high for well over 12 hours and very dizzy off of 15mg, I abandoned that method.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:25 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:18 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Do another chew the day after you did the first one and see if that kicks in. If there's no THC in your system for more than a week or two it just doesn't kick off sometimes. Also, CBD and Anti-depressants get in the way and you might need 1.5 to 2x the dose.
I don't take antidepressants. Daily dosing doesn't make any difference.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 am

BringEmYoung wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:34 am
+1 for dry herb vaping. I use the Dynavap. It's cheap and effective. 1 gram lasts me several months (I use once or twice a week). I tried edibles, but after being high for well over 12 hours and very dizzy off of 15mg, I abandoned that method.
Nice. It's amazing how much much more efficient/effective it is.

BringEmYoung

Post by BringEmYoung » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:41 am

Hermey wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 am
BringEmYoung wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:34 am
Nice. It's amazing how much much more efficient/effective it is.
Yes, I marvel at how potent such a small pinch of flower is when vaped. In fact, I wish I could blow through it a little quicker cause I want to try some new strains :)