Whats good on netflix?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
crossmyheart

Whats good on netflix?

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:14 am

The choices are getting more overwhelming. Not as many blockbuster movies, but lots of new series. I don't get to binge too much, but with fall/winter coming, our schedule seems to slow down.

I finally gave in and let my tween/teen kids watch Stranger Things because all of their friends have seen it- we are watching it as a family- just about halfway through season 3. Occasional references to Mormons are kinda funny. Overall- very campy to me- feels like a mixture of E.T. and Tremors. If it were just me, I would have stopped watching it already.

I am excited to start watching season 2 of Mind Hunters- I loved the first season.

What else is binge worthy?

Just This Guy

Re: Whats good on netflix?

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:11 am

I'm working though The Orville on Hulu. I recommend it for anyone who is into sci-fi.

The show is a homage to Star Trek: The Next Generation done by Seth McFarland of Family Guy fame. It's a mix between McFarlane's style of humor and deeper sci-fi themes. Season 1 is more on the comedy side and some of the shows are a bit uneven because of it. However there are several good, though provoking episodes. Season 2 tones down the humor and goes more serious, but not too far and makes the writing even better.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:58 am

Check out the documentary "Behind the Curve" on people who believe the earth is flat. It's actually done with a lot of sympathy for them and their beliefs, but it's also clear that the filmmakers did not believe them either. It's about their organization and sociality. It's about how they persist in their beliefs in spite of repeated failed experiments.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 am

I've been enjoying the final season of Killjoys on the SyFy Channel. It is an offbeat Sci-Fi show.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Emower

Post by Emower » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:07 pm

"Schitts Creek." It is totally beyond the pale of my experience, and shouldn't feel so relatable, but it does nonetheless. Easily one of the funnier comedies I have seen since "The Office".

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:36 pm

Emower wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:07 pm
"Schitts Creek." It is totally beyond the pale of my experience, and shouldn't feel so relatable, but it does nonetheless. Easily one of the funnier comedies I have seen since "The Office".
We loved Schitts Creek! And Stranger Things of course. I'll up vote "Behind the Curve" as well.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Narcos
Hand Maids Tale
The Whitney Cummings stand up special was hilarious.

Jim Gaffigan has his new special on Amazon Prime. Hilarious.

I’m also looking forward to Mind Hunter Season 2.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:01 pm

If you've ever been into UFO's, check out the Bob Lazar doc on Netflix. I think the dude is telling the truth.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:53 pm

In don’t watch Netflix as my kids are always on it. Amazon Prime favorites:
Bosch
Jack Ryan
Goliath
Marvelous Mrs. Maisal
~2bizE

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:08 pm

...Ozark, The Sinner.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:14 am

Yobispo wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:01 pm
If you've ever been into UFO's, check out the Bob Lazar doc on Netflix. I think the dude is telling the truth.
I listened to his interview on the Joe Rogan podcast and was disappointed he had a migraine and didn’t seem to be able to focus.

I’m not entirely convinced of his story but think there is truth to it.

It just seems that too many people would have to coordinate a cover up. But then again, maybe threats of violence, financial ruin, and other tactics keep people quiet.

Who knows?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:31 pm

I really enjoyed "The Boys" on Amazon Prime. It is very adult, but it's a refreshing take on super heroes. Fairly antagonistic to religion generally too, if that's something you want to avoid.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:04 pm

Linked wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:31 pm
I really enjoyed "The Boys" on Amazon Prime. It is very adult, but it's a refreshing take on super heroes. Fairly antagonistic to religion generally too, if that's something you want to avoid.
I loved The Boys. I also really like the new version of The Tick, which is kind of in the same category but much happier.

If you don't mind subtitles and complex time travel plots, Dark on Netflix is fascinating. We also watch all of the European detective shows like Bordertown, Wallander, River, Hinterland, Happy Valley, Borderliner, etc. And if you like that kind of thing there's a great comedic take on the theme called Fallet.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:29 am

If you have Prime, be sure to watch both seasons of "Patriot"
It's my favorite original series from any of the providers, very unique, fun and a bit dark at times; the characters and writing are outstanding!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Random

Post by Random » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:38 pm

I spent the weekend with some friends (the husband's birthday was today). He's into Hindi movies and we watched several on Netflix. One that really hit me was called PK (means "tipsy" in Hindi). There are English subtitles, and it's a movie I'd recommend.

Essentially, an alien (who looks human) lands on earth, has his "remote" stolen. It is his means of communicating to his ship so he can return home. People tell him to ask God, so he embarks on a quest to find this God-person and get his remote back.

It is an incredible commentary on religion and the "managers" of God who totally screw up who God is. I would totally recommend it.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Life After with Ricky Gervais. Very funny, with Gervaise playing a widow that is depressed with the death of his wife, so he has no filter
Life After

Dead To Me . Lots of twits and turns in every episode!

Atypical very good show about a highly functioning autistic kid. Very funny as he says what on his mind

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 pm

This is what happens when someone asks for a list....(WTF is wrong with me???)

On Netflix:
The Spy
Taco Chronicles
The World's Most Extraordinary Homes
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
Narcos
Narcos Mexico
El Chapo
Mindhunter
The Fall
The Last Kingdom
Fauda
Turn
Seven Seconds
Taken
Altered Carbon
Godless
The Unknown Hitman
Bodyguard
Better Call Saul
Marcella
The Crown
Broadchurch
Retribution
The Five
Bordertown
Triple Frontier
The Killing
The Following
Jehrico
Hatfields & McCoys
The Highwaymen
Limitless
The Rain

On HULU:
Snowfall
Handmaid's Tale
Mayans M.C.
Letterkenny
Bong Appetit
New Amsterdam
The Rookie
Jay Leno's Garage
The Accountant
The Purge
The Looming Tower
The Path
The Bastard Executioner

On Amazon Prime:
Vikings
Goliath
Jack Ryan
The Gunman
Bosch
The Man in the High Castle
The Americans
The NIght Manager

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:53 am

Hermey wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 pm
This is what happens when someone asks for a list....(WTF is wrong with me???)
Thanks---I need to print this off!

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Amazon Prime series Good Omens, with David Tenant and Michael Sheen. About a devil and angel present in the Garden of Eden who build a friendship over the course of Earth's history then team together to fight against the hosts of heaven and hell to save mankind against Armageddon. With a little help from the anti-Christ and his cute fluffy hell hound. :)

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Old stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...