Church Spokesman Dishonesty - Bishops are "Volunteers"

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Not Buying It

Church Spokesman Dishonesty - Bishops are "Volunteers"

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:00 am

So you've all heard by now about the former bishop and current high counselor who was caught taking pictures of a woman in a dressing room in Tennessee:

https://www.ksl.com/article/46622145/lo ... a-incident

Here's a quote from the article:
Church spokesman Eric Hawkins said in an email that Murdock served as a high councilor, which is a volunteer position helping with the administration of several local congregations. He also previously served as a bishop of a local congregation, another volunteer position.
Shame on you Brother Hawkins. You know damn well men don't randomly volunteer to be a bishop or stake president. They are supposedly called by inspiration direct from God, and set apart by the authority of God by those who hold that authority. Or do you really want me to start regarding my bishop as a mere volunteer who received no special calling, has no special authority, and who was not selected by any kind of divine inspiration?
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Red Ryder

Re: Church Spokesman Dishonesty - Bishops are "Volunteers"

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:19 am

It’s like two separate people fighting.

And in the red corner, we have the left side of the Mormon mouth, weighing in at 265 lbs, fighting out of the COB in Salt Lake City, with a elite fighting style that represents God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost, where all things are done by order, inspiration, and destiny.

And in the blue corner, we have the right side of the Mormon mouth weighing in at 100 lbs, fighting out of Utah, with a fighting style that represents, well.... nothing really other than just a meager volunteer who thinks he can fight but hasn’t been trained by the Mormon Church or represents the Mormon church in any way. In fact, we’ve never seen this dude or know him by name and he must represent himself because we don’t know why he’s fighting. Some people think, in error, that he represent the church but he does not.

Let’s get ready to rumble......
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:57 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:00 am
Shame on you Brother Hawkins. You know damn well men don't randomly volunteer to be a bishop or stake president. They are supposedly called by inspiration direct from God, and set apart by the authority of God by those who hold that authority. Or do you really want me to start regarding my bishop as a mere volunteer who received no special calling, has no special authority, and who was not selected by any kind of divine inspiration?
Don't forget that 1P approval is needed for every man called as bishop. The involvement goes all the way to the top.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:23 am

Sure they’re volunteers. Just like the way prisoners volunteer to make license plates.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:20 am

Hmm...if even half of what John Dehlin claims to have found out about this guy is true, he is a real piece of work:

https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/steven-murdock/

All those years I thought the bishop could read my mind while I was in his office, and here this guy gets away with all kinds of crap and they still call him as bishop...
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:07 am

While members will readily spot the deceptive nature of Elder Eric Hawkins statement, they will be forgiving because they realize it is in accord with the LDS doctrine of Lying for the Lord.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:12 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:20 am
Hmm...if even half of what John Dehlin claims to have found out about this guy is true, he is a real piece of work:

This must have made for some interesting worthiness interviews with the kids in Bishop Murdock's ward.
All those years I thought the bishop could read my mind while I was in his office,...

Your bishop had a telepathic seer stone hidden in his top desk drawer. ;)
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:42 pm

A "Voluntold" position.
Called of God
Judge in Israel
Special Powers (The Mantel)

It's so dishonest of TSCC to simply say he was just a volunteer!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:49 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:42 pm
A "Voluntold" position.
Called of God
Judge in Israel

Is it really that dishonest? Of course it is to members and former members who know the way it works, but to the outside world... meh?!

From a non-Mormon point of view the guy is just some perverted dude. Nobody cares what his position in the Mormon church is. He’s just a creepy motherfncker.

The church is distancing itself from him by claiming he’s simply a “volunteer” similar to the “a few months shy of her 15th birthday” language in the essays.

PR 101.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:49 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:42 pm
A "Voluntold" position.
Called of God
Judge in Israel

Is it really that dishonest? Of course it is to members and former members who know the way it works, but to the outside world... meh?!

From a non-Mormon point of view the guy is just some perverted dude. Nobody cares what his position in the Mormon church is. He’s just a creepy motherfncker.

The church is distancing itself from him by claiming he’s simply a “volunteer” similar to the “a few months shy of her 15th birthday” language in the essays.

PR 101.
Thanks for reminding me Red, how distorted my world view can be while living behind the Zion Curtain as an exmo. In the real world, other Christian religious types will just say "See, that mormon thing is Fd up!" And the non-religious types never heard of it, don't care or just toss it into the bucket of how messed up all religions are or just another cult.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:26 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:20 am

All those years I thought the bishop could read my mind while I was in his office, and here this guy gets away with all kinds of crap and they still call him as bishop...
Once a bishop, always a bishop. He should always be referred to as bishop.
~2bizE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:54 pm

So let me get this straight, bishops and high counselors and stake president are all volunteers? Therefore, general authorities are somehow not volunteers because they are paid. A volunteer is unpaid while a non-volunteer is paid. So does that settle the argument of whether or not general authorities are paid.? A modest stipend could still be given to a volunteer.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:02 pm

volunteer = we make them work a second full-time job but we don't pay them for it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."