Calling Ourselves Mormons Is "Acceptable" Again

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
AllieOop

Calling Ourselves Mormons Is "Acceptable" Again

Post by AllieOop » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:22 am

I am seeing this posted on other forums (and I guess Kate Kelly posted it on Facebook), but there has been what is being termed a "softening" of Pres. Nelson's instructions and a change in "policy". Here's what it states now:
Referring to the Church and Its Members
As the Church grows across boundaries, cultures, and languages, the use of its revealed name, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (see Doctrine and Covenants 115:4), is increasingly important in the responsibility of the Church and its members to proclaim the name of the Savior throughout all the world. Accordingly, references to the Church should include its full name whenever possible. Following an initial reference to the full name of the Church, the contractions “the Church” or “the Church of Jesus Christ” are acceptable.

Referring to the Church as “the Mormon Church,” “the Latter-day Saints Church,” or “the LDS Church” is discouraged.

When referring to Church members, it is preferable to use the phrase “members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” As a shortened reference, “Latter-day Saints” is preferred and “Mormons” is acceptable.

The word Mormon will continue to be used in proper names like the Book of Mormon. It will also continue to be used as an adjective in phrases such as “Mormon pioneers.” In addition, it may be necessary to use the word Mormon to identify the Church as it is commonly known in some countries.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... le_number2
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Dravin

Re: Calling Ourselves Mormons Is "Acceptable" Again

Post by Dravin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:26 am

It was only a matter of time, though I genuinely expected it to take until the next head honcho came into power for them to start backing away from that blunder.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:49 am

This is right out of the oral sex ban playbook.

Church leaders: Oral sex is unnatural and unholy. Don’t practice such things.

Members: uh.... that’s stupid. Stay out of my bedroom.

Church leaders: quietly walked it back.

Come on President Nelson! Man up and admit your name change was all your idea! Stand up at the pulpit and repeal the stupidity and while your at it tell the members oral sex is a commandment and should be practiced within celestial marriages on a regular basis for you to be considered temple worthy!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:58 am

I guess Satan’s victories were short-lived. :shock:

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 pm

This has been the most complicated re-brand ever.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Can you say "mixed messages"?

These guys are just setting themselves up for ridicule.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:13 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:49 am
This is right out of the oral sex ban playbook.

Church leaders: Oral sex is unnatural and unholy. Don’t practice such things.

Members: uh.... that’s stupid. Stay out of my bedroom.

Church leaders: quietly walked it back.

Come on President Nelson! Man up and admit your name change was all your idea! Stand up at the pulpit and repeal the stupidity and while your at it tell the members oral sex is a commandment and should be practiced within celestial marriages on a regular basis for you to be considered temple worthy!
I'll be honest. If Nelson was willing to admit that the rebranding was a mistake and his own error rather than the mind and will of the Lord I'd be willing to go to church with my wife at the next available Sunday.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:43 pm

Maybe Nelson will talk about this in October conference.
~2bizE

Stig

Post by Stig » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:56 pm

What.A.Joke. Seriously, that's 2 big back-tracks in just a few months. The evidence that this organization receives no revelation from any deity just continues to pile up...even if it is one pebble at a time.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:16 pm

Can we say....”New Coke” :lol:

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:14 am

For what it's worth, they style guide at the church's website still says that "Mormons" is less desirable:
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/style-guide
When referring to Church members, the terms "members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," "Latter-day Saints,” "members of the Church of Jesus Christ" and "members of the restored Church of Jesus Christ" are preferred. We ask that the term "Mormons" and "LDS" not be used.
The message is really mixed. I'm not sure that everyone is on the same page regarding what is acceptable and what is not. I just know that I am not going to stop using "Mormon" as a nickname for the church.

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:19 am

If I didn't know better, I'd think that this organization was led with a bunch of guys, all with different opinions on how things should be run, instead of being run by God himself.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:23 am

blazerb wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:14 am
For what it's worth, they style guide at the church's website still says that "Mormons" is less desirable:
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/style-guide
When referring to Church members, the terms "members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," "Latter-day Saints,” "members of the Church of Jesus Christ" and "members of the restored Church of Jesus Christ" are preferred. We ask that the term "Mormons" and "LDS" not be used.
The message is really mixed. I'm not sure that everyone is on the same page regarding what is acceptable and what is not.
The style guide is for the writings and publications (if I understand correctly) and I saw that too. So it's acceptable to SAY you're a Mormon....just don't WRITE it?

Ok :roll:

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:28 am

I am trying to understand the reason for this update. The name change was stupid and annoying, but not a complete PR disaster that caused members to leave etc like the POX. And people were kind of following it, so it gave Nelson (supposed) power. I don't get it. Were they having a hard time renaming a website or the BOM?

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:54 am

I realize that I have officially spent too much time looking at this issue. It's crazy.

So, in the online handbook (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/ ... f?lang=eng page 190) it still says:
The word Mormon will continue to be used in proper names like the Book of Mormon and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
So did someone fail to get the memo about the name change for the Tabernacle Choir?

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:40 am

Call me stuck in my new ways, but I’m having a hard time transitioning back to Mormon...
~2bizE

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:04 pm

Is this a walk back or an oversight? Meaning maybe that language was already in the handbook and no one has noticed or gotten around to correcting it.

And walking it back in the handbook is nice and all but it fails to address one of the more annoying fruits of the 'victory for Satan' talk - the self appointed "Mormon word" police. They heard the general conference talk but they're not going to see any correction in a handbook.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:29 pm

nibbler wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:04 pm
Is this a walk back or an oversight? Meaning maybe that language was already in the handbook and no one has noticed or gotten around to correcting it.

And walking it back in the handbook is nice and all but it fails to address one of the more annoying fruits of the 'victory for Satan' talk - the self appointed "Mormon word" police. They heard the general conference talk but they're not going to see any correction in a handbook.
Good point. Someone needs to compare this section of the newly released Handbook 1 to the previous version. Perhaps this was always in the Handbook, and no-one paid attention until now...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:30 pm

nibbler wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:04 pm
Apparently they addressed the change of name for the Tabernacle Choir, so it would be odd to not make sure this part was stated correctly.
It's on the church's website for all to access, so it's not the handbook that only leaders can read, but I guess we will see if it's changed.

asb

Post by asb » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:07 pm

It looks like the "acceptable" language has been there for some time. Here is the Internet Archive version of Handbook 2 from December 26, 2018.

https://web.archive.org/web/20181226192 ... s?lang=eng

This doesn't render correctly in the browser, at least in Chrome, but if you view the page source, search for "21.1.34" and read the HTML, you can see the "'Mormons' is acceptable" verbiage.