Ouch...I think?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Anon70

Ouch...I think?

Post by Anon70 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:20 pm

I told you all about caving for a stake calling over a year ago. I've actually enjoyed parts of the calling and have made a way for it to work for me. I'm also a very hard worker and I have taken on the lion's share of tasks for the president.

There have been some pretty big bumps in working cohesively with another stake auxiliary and I was vocal about my concerns as were 4 other people. When the group voted to do Trek, I spoke up saying I couldn't support it. Gave some evidence and reasons why (why are we glorifying these past mistakes, current safety concerns) and found out today that due to my non-support of this, I'm being released.

I feel a bit humiliated as we've only been in about 15 months (which is the ouch from my subject line) but also relieved that I'm getting my Sundays back. I warned my DH that I'll be taking this opportunity to now say I'm not available for another Stake calling (not that one is being offered) but depending on the ward calling, I'll probably accept as I still have some kids attending the home ward. I'm trying to view this as the next step closer to the door.

I think it's interesting that I have rejected so much of Mormonism but got my feelers hurt and will feel embarrassed on Sunday when it's announced.

deacon blues

Re: Ouch...I think?

Post by deacon blues » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:00 pm

I understand the feeling. Even after my views changed I still cared what friends and neighbors thought about me as a person.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:08 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:00 pm
I understand the feeling. Even after my views changed I still cared what friends and neighbors thought about me as a person.
Yes. I'm having some of those "how will I be judged over this" and "only problems get released this fast" moments.

As I've obsessed over it all morning, I've also realized that we have discussed some issues over and over for months with no resolution, delayed decisions on dozens of items over and over, still don't have a fix for the conflict with the other stake auxiliary in 15 months but this problem (me not supporting Trek) apparently had to be resolved ASAP. Eek.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:09 pm

Congrats!!

From my point of view, the stake callings always seems to come and go often so 15 months seems standard especially (not trying to be rude here just pointing out reality) for the women.

Nobody will remember you had the calling 3 weeks from now.

On the bright side, that back door is now super close!

On the dark side, if someone gets hurt or killed on Trek you can yell “I told you so!!!!!”
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:12 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:09 pm
Congrats!!

From my point of view, the stake callings always seems to come and go often so 15 months seems standard especially (not trying to be rude here just pointing out reality) for the women.

Nobody will remember you had the calling 3 weeks from now.

On the bright side, that back door is now super close!

On the dark side, if someone gets hurt or killed on Trek you can yell “I told you so!!!!!”
Good reminders, thanks. I sure hope no one gets hurt and I already told my kids if these leaders are still in charge when/if they do trek, they're not going!

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:29 pm

It can really hurt when it feels like you were rejected, but you were totally right and I think you should wear it as a badge of pride. They went to the trouble of kicking you out because you refused to back down when they wanted to glorify a tragedy and endanger children. You rock! You are good and strong, keep it up!
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:56 pm

Linked wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:29 pm
It can really hurt when it feels like you were rejected, but you were totally right and I think you should wear it as a badge of pride. They went to the trouble of kicking you out because you refused to back down when they wanted to glorify a tragedy and endanger children. You rock! You are good and strong, keep it up!
+1
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:58 pm

15 months isn't a bad stretch. Most members won't even notice. You did right to stand up for your beliefs.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:06 pm

You should probably be expecting a nursery calling in a couple of months.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Post by Random » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:18 pm

Linked wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:29 pm
They went to the trouble of kicking you out because you refused to back down when they wanted to glorify a tragedy and endanger children. You rock! You are good and strong, keep it up!
Amen!

I never paid attention to how long someone was in a calling, except for bishops and stake presidents. Unless you have a particularly attentive ward, you will probably be fine. Of course, someone might mention why you were released. If so, and that's brought to your attention, it can give you an opportunity to educate others about the danger of trek.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:39 pm

Good for you to speak your mind, even though there is pain in the journey as well.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:34 pm

I respect you for standing up for your convictions. I am opposed to Trek as well as it is an unnecessary safety risk.
Every year there are many injuries, heat stroke, and sometimes deaths.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abc4.c ... ivity/amp/
~2bizE

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:14 pm

Thank you everyone. The “release” took 15 minutes. I said about 4 words. He spent a great deal of time reassuring me I had done nothing wrong which just convinced me they all felt I did.

I was going to keep my thoughts to myself if asked but after that I decided to take your advice and talk about trek if asked.