Evangelical blog article on LDS temple in Haiti

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Random

Evangelical blog article on LDS temple in Haiti

Post by Random » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:32 pm

:idea:

Here is the link.

Why we should not build luxury churches in developing countries
What effect can the image of a rich church have in countries like Haiti? Why should both local evangelicals and missionary agencies avoid this luxury façade by all means? Here are some reasons:
Then it lists four. The headings for them are:
1. Separation from the local community.

2. Corruption.

3. Syncretism.

4. Neoliberal ‘blessing’
What countries like Haiti need is not temples with glass lamps and granite columns . . . . Like everyone else, people who have not met Jesus yet need to see God’s love put into practice.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

crossmyheart

Re: Evangelical blog article on LDS temple in Haiti

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:47 am

Wow- if only this article could get more publicity. The church needs to be called out for their flagrant worship of money and luxury, instead of humble service to people in dire need of basic necessities.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:01 am

I agree. I wish it would get a ton of publicity. Anything to wake up the leaders to the fact that they are doing exactly what their scripture say not to do: grind on the face of the poor, because of their fine sanctuaries.

If that happened, perhaps the ultra poor in third world countries would get some relief from their poverty, instead of being taught that they should give the itsy bitsy teensy-weensy amount of money they have to a multi-billion-dollar church whose church leaders spend more on one meal than these people probably spend in a month.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:40 am

I am imagining what a devout believer would think about the this article. The blessings of the temple are supposed to be so overwhelmingly wonderful that people would sacrifice just about anything to be there. The reasons against this temple by this Evangelical do not value "eternal families" in the same way as your local temple worker.

It makes this temple seem like an unintentionally prime target for vandalism the next time Haiti has a hurricane or earthquake. The country still needs some rebuilding from the last major disaster. Putting money towards rebuilding this temple after the next major disaster is going to look really calloused when orphaned children are still wandering around the rubble.

Newme

Post by Newme » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Random wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:01 am
I agree. I wish it would get a ton of publicity. Anything to wake up the leaders to the fact that they are doing exactly what their scripture say not to do: grind on the face of the poor, because of their fine sanctuaries.

If that happened, perhaps the ultra poor in third world countries would get some relief from their poverty, instead of being taught that they should give the itsy bitsy teensy-weensy amount of money they have to a multi-billion-dollar church whose church leaders spend more on one meal than these people probably spend in a month.
Good points! Mormonism in some ways (not all) is anti-Christ. Demanding all the world call them Christians doesn’t change reality. Mormons are known as Mormons because they prioritize the book of Mormon and their cultish religion over a Christ’s teachings.

One of the WORST offenses to Christ’s teachings that the lds church does is use temples to make money. The fact that they have produced this temple without thought for the people in the area is another anti-Christ way of ignoring “the least of these.” Christ said that basically that is most deserving of hell. Ironic.

Random

Post by Random » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:40 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:40 am
I am imagining what a devout believer would think about the this article.
I expect they would dismiss it with a, "They don't understand the importance." But I think a temple could be built out of simple materials and be a humble place.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:44 am

Newme, more and more, it seems like the church is about the leaders. They fare sumptuously on the back of their members, many of whom live in third world countries and suffer greatly from poverty.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:51 am

I like the Book of Mormon, when it is separated from the twisted meanings that the LDS church often gives to it.

For example, the condemnations in it are always directed at non-members instead of to the members. For example when Mormon or Moroni ask the reader, "Why have you polluted the Holy Church of God?" the typical member is taught that that refers to the amcient Catholic church. At least we were taught that before it became politically incorrect. Grinding on the face of the poor because of fine clothing and fine sanctuaries cannot be referring to the leaders. And so forth.

The book really has us (the LDS) pegged. And not in a good, "we're awesome, all is well in Zion, and we're destined for heaven if we mindlessly follow the leaders" way.

PK

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:47 am

Does the church remember the miracle of the loaves & fishes that was part of the Sermon On the Mount? LDS theology teaches the reason for this is that people must have the physical needs met first so they are more receptive to the spritual lessons. Of course, that part of the Sermon didn't get copied into the BoM.

I would think this would be a prime example for that lesson. Meet their temporal needs first,then you can then help them with their celestial needs.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:11 am

Random wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:51 am
I like the Book of Mormon, when it is separated from the twisted meanings that the LDS church often gives to it.

For example, the condemnations in it are always directed at non-members instead of to the members. For example when Mormon or Moroni ask the reader, "Why have you polluted the Holy Church of God?" the typical member is taught that that refers to the amcient Catholic church. At least we were taught that before it became politically incorrect. Grinding on the face of the poor because of fine clothing and fine sanctuaries cannot be referring to the leaders. And so forth.

The book really has us (the LDS) pegged. And not in a good, "we're awesome, all is well in Zion, and we're destined for heaven if we mindlessly follow the leaders" way.
As I went further down the rabbit hole, and began to look at the church in a different light, it does really strike one how alike the current church is to the elements decried in the BOM. The last lesson I ever gave in church was on the pride cycle and secret combinations in the BOM. I asked the group (I think it was a combined 5th sunday) to think about how the church members engage in secret combinations. I let everyone stew on it for a while then in the last 15 minutes I pointed to the temple as something that could be used in an unrighteous way as well as the garments. That was an uncomfortable lesson ending and I had several people begin to avoid me after that. People might have avoided me because I turned in my temple recommend and was released from my three callings the next week too...

Random

Post by Random » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:47 am
I would think this would be a prime example for that lesson. Meet their temporal needs first,then you can then help them with their celestial needs.
I agree.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:41 pm

Emower, I hope your lesson opened a few eyes, at least a little bit. All I was exposed to added up over time.

PK