Apostolic Blessings

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Apostolic Blessings

Post by 2bizE » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Who invented the apostolic blessing? Where did it originate? It is a bit similar to the temple rolls where a blanket blessing is pronounced on people?
~2bizE

RubinHighlander

Re: Apostolic Blessings

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:38 pm

In 1984, Neil A. Maxwell came to the Manchester England mission and gave us one at the end of his talk. It was an emotional experience for me (and everyone there) because he was my favorite at the time. I don't remember what he said.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Such a blessing exists so that Elder Bednar can withhold it from a group of young people if they are being exuberant.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mankhoj

Post by Mankhoj » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:49 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:36 pm
Such a blessing exists so that Elder Bednar can withhold it from a group of young people if they are being exuberant.
Or stand before him.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:34 am

Likely it was GA's looking at the Great and Abominable Church (aka Roman Catholic) and got jealous of Papal Blessings. If they can do that, then why can't the leadership of "true church?"
Last edited by Just This Guy on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:14 am

Ballard did this on a visit to my mission in 92-93. My MP went on and on about what a rare thing it was to have this kind of blessing. At the time I went along with it because I was pretty immature in my critical thinking skills, but I can recall a very faint question in my head about what we'd seen. I was still missing the larger point, but the one little question I had was, "Where is this ordinance coming from?" I was such a by-the-book guy that I was confused about why this blessings wasn't in the little priesthood book that instructs you on how to perform all of the ordinances. We had very clear, word-for-word instructions about all that stuff. We were instructed to remove the lid from the oil vile before we consecrated it, but had no idea an apostolic blessing was even a thing.

Maybe I was doomed to apostasy and just didn't know it.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 pm

I believe it was the apostle Paul at the last supper dinner table.

Jesus said, “Paul can you give us a blessing on the food?”

Like all things, it morphed over time.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Emower

Post by Emower » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 pm

Paul replied, "Really, Jesus its diet wine, and a bunch of candied dates, what are you expecting?"

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:03 pm

Speaking of the ahole apostle affectionately known as Bednar...
I saw this happen for the first time in my life a few weeks ago. David A Bednar visited the St Louis stake conference. Two special Q&A sessions were held for the YSA on Friday night and Saturday morning for the youth. I took my teenage daughters to the Friday night meeting because they were busy Saturday morning.

At the end of the meeting Elder Bednar left an Apostolic blessing on those in attendance. After the meeting, a line formed to shake his hand. Apparently the people in the stake center chapel were too loud, because he went to the podium and rebuked everyone for failing to maintain reverence in the chapel. He then said the apostolic blessing he had just given was null and void and was effectively revoked.
http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthread ... c-blessing
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:19 pm

I was once present for an apostolic blessing. James E. Faust was visiting. We had all been prepped by our local leadership for the reception of blessing. Sure enough, at the end of his talk he stated that he was leaving an apostolic blessing. He then read a scripture that gave a promise. I don't remember what it was. I was rather disappointed. As far as I could tell, he just left us with a promise that we should already have been eligible for since it was in the scriptures and given to all the world. He had also clearly prepared it before hand. It was not all that special.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:49 pm

I’ve received a few apostolic blessings in my day. My first was from a visiting 70 and apostle. The apostle gave the blessing. I don’t remember who it was, but the 70 was a really great speaker with inspiring stories names Paul H. Dunn.
Now looking back, I wonder if both speakers were full of themselves.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Emower wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 pm
Paul replied, "Really, Jesus its diet wine, and a bunch of candied dates, what are you expecting?"
Upon hearing this Mary Magdelen said, "Don't be silly Paul, we're having ham glazed with plum sauce, sweet potatoes, French bread, and some baked Alaska for dessert.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:39 am

2bizE wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:49 pm
I’ve received a few apostolic blessings in my day.
Now that I think about it a bit, I'm sure I've received a "few" in my day also. Every time one of the important uppity-ups from the Corporation visited the mission, and many other uppity-up encounters. It seems they do it all the time. There likely been hundreds of thousands of these "Apostolic" blessings.

I have no idea of the origin or who invented the "Apostolic" blessing, but I'm pretty comfortable saying they're no different than any other magic blessing given by any other magician, anywhere on earth. I'm sure such blessings have made lots of people feel good, hopefully inspired folks to do to other humans, but they're no more special than any other "blessing" given by any other human.

MoPag-stolic Blessings are definitely way better. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Random

Post by Random » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:27 pm

I think the first one I experienced was when Neal Maxwell came to our stake to split it. I think that would have been in the late 1980s.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:21 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 pm

And Paul said, "Fine then! Heavenly Father, please bless the food to nourish and strengthen our bodies..."

And that is where the blessing of nourishing and strengthening came from...
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:21 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 pm

And Paul said, "Fine then! Heavenly Father, please bless the food to nourish and strengthen our bodies..."

And that is where the blessing of nourishing and strengthening came from...
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)