Those Christian billboards

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Those Christian billboards

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:59 am

You've probably seen this:

I'm sure the intent is to scare the bejeezus out of you at the thought of meeting a vindictive God so you'll call the number, get fixed up, and open your wallet.

My reaction to this is to say, "I certainly hope so, because he's got a LOT of explaining to do."

This morning during my meditation I had a flash of imagery in which I saw Jesus' second coming, but it wasn't scary. People weren't screaming and trying to hide under the rocks and bursting in flame and having their flesh fall from theirs skin the way most Christians look forward to. He just flooded the world with universal love for everyone, regardless of what they believe. Wouldn't that be nice?

And this one:

I'll meet them half way. There IS evidence for nature. The same evidence pretty much works for everybody's belief system.

Who's responsible for these signs anyway?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Linked

Re: Those Christian billboards

Post by Linked » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:44 pm

I've always wondered about those too. They seem quite patronizing. I found their website, GospelBillboards.org. A few interesting links below.

https://gospelbillboards.org/about/
https://gospelbillboards.org/about/what ... -of-faith/
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/reasonadv ... for-truth/ (Athiest arguing with them, to get an idea what happens when someone antagonistic calls)
https://www.evangelicalsforsocialaction ... ns-are-we/ (Christian calling in)

The billboards are run by Christian Aid Ministries, "CAM strives to be a trustworthy and efficient channel for Amish, Mennonite, and other conservative Anabaptist groups and individuals to minister to physical and spiritual needs around the world." (from their website)
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:02 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:59 am
My reaction to this is to say, "I certainly hope so, because he's got a LOT of explaining to do."
That's pretty much my reaction too. Well, that and, he/she/it can do the explaining after I kick he/she/it in the crotch. (That is if he/she/it has a crotch.)

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:59 am
Who's responsible for these signs anyway?
I was going to urge you to "call the number" and ask; But Linked seems to have found the answer.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:11 pm

Fascinating I would have expected them to be one of those evangelical groups that make the chick pamphlet gospel tracts not some Amish/Mennonite group.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:17 pm

It's pretty normal where I live for some random farmer to have up a sign warning us that we're all going to hell. (It's also normal for the JWs to be doing the exact same thing downtown.)

I guess I don't understand what prompts this behavior, but I still am coming to grips with how I remained Mormon for so long, so it is what it is.

(We live in a city, but there are a lots of Amish and Mennonite people in the surrounding area. As in, if I drive 15 minutes to my friend's side of town, there are actual sheds with hitching posts for Amish buggies at the Walmart there since she lives right on the edge of town.)

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJBwhXSNwzA

Wooden Jesus where are you from?
Korea or Canada, maybe Taiwan?
But I didn't know it was the holy land
But I believed from the minute the check left my hand
And I pray
Can I be saved, I spent all my money
On a future grave
Wooden Jesus I'll cut you in on twenty percent of my future sin
I'll cut you in

Yeah, Porcelain Mary her majesties pure
Looking for virgin territory
Coat hanger halos that don't come cheap
From television shepherds with livin' room sheep
And I pray

Wooden Jesus where are you from?
Korea or Canada, or maybe Taiwan?
But I didn't know it was the holy land
But I believed from the minute the check left my hand
And I pray
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:49 pm

I have seen the billboards often. I've never called. My parents had a neighbor who would regularly put scripture signs in his yard. They were usually thinly veiled threats that his Mormon neighbors were going to fry in hell for eternity. I don't need to go out of my way to call someone who will tell me I'm going to hell. I come across those all too often without any effort.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:59 pm

What an absolute waste of money and resources.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:17 am

'm sure the intent is to scare the bejeezus out of you at the thought of meeting a vindictive God so you'll call the number, get fixed up, and open your wallet.

This morning during my meditation I had a flash of imagery in which I saw Jesus' second coming, but it wasn't scary. People weren't screaming and trying to hide under the rocks and bursting in flame and having their flesh fall from theirs skin the way most Christians look forward to. He just flooded the world with universal love for everyone, regardless of what they believe. Wouldn't that be nice?
That would be extremely nice. I'm so tired of evangelical fundamentalists warning and scolding about retribution. It's all part of the psychological coercion of guilting and shaming people into submission. I've never done this, but I sometimes think about calling the number on the billboard and asking, "Why is God always so angry and bitter with everyone? If he created humans in his image and likeness, as explained in the book of Genesis, then why is he so vindictive and wrathful? "
Don't you wish that God could take a class in parenting skills so that he always wouldn't be in such a bad mood and ready to destroy everything? This is my complaint about the Old and New Testament. Why is God always such a bully to people like Abraham, Job, and Jesus, just to name a few examples? -- Wndr.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Wonderment wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:17 am
Why is God always such a bully to people like Abraham, Job, and Jesus, just to name a few examples? -- Wndr.
The obvious answer is the one you already gave. People make God in their own image. Those who are bullies and who want to coerce people into certain behaviors are bound to have a God that does the same. Those who are more concerned about loving people will either find that kind of God or will give up on God completely because their scriptures were written by the people in the first category. Maybe a good litmus test for a religion is to ask questions, "does your God love gay people or hate them?" or "will God welcome Muslims (or gays) into heaven, just as they are, or cast them into hell?"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:35 am

Wow, I thought this was only a Texas thing. :lol:

In Texas I get at least one mailed advertisement a week for the newest super cool church in my area. I always figured the billboards were an extension of that.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:17 am

MoPag wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:35 am
Wow, I thought this was only a Texas thing. :lol:

In Texas I get at least one mailed advertisement a week for the newest super cool church in my area. I always figured the billboards were an extension of that.
Yeah, Texas is really bizarre. Last time I drove through it seemed like a Jesus themepark that never ended. The main difference since my mission there is the appearance all of those gigantic megachurches. It was all about revivals back in my day.

But yeah, there are a lot of these billboards in Utah. There's one that tells you to read the Bible to know what God has planned for you. I'm not sure the Bible is very clear on that, based on all of the religions it has spawned.

Another favorite:
I like this one because it's so much more subdued than the others, like it's trying to convince the jury. You could get up there and paint NOT before Alive and it would work just as well for a lot of people.

Random

Post by Random » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:07 pm

Maybe they're trying to save the Mormons?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK