REVELATION TIME: President Nelson Announces Upcoming Important Message for Young People

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

REVELATION TIME: President Nelson Announces Upcoming Important Message for Young People

Post by jfro18 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Nelson is gonna speak to the youth of the church Tuesday at 11:05 MDT while they're in school, which seems like a problem to begin with, but it's based on inspiration (codeword for revelation):

"“I think about the issues facing young people daily. I feel inspired to share an important message with you on September 17 at 11:05 a.m. MDT. Please join me that day on the Church’s Facebook or YouTube account orChurchofJesusChrist.org, President Nelson wrote."

I'm sure it will just be about the normal crap, but I always cringe when it's directed to the youth.

Emower

Re: REVELATION TIME: President Nelson Announces Upcoming Important Message for Young People

Post by Emower » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Ha! I love it when stuff says "from the desk of..." It sounds so pretentious and cringey.

jfro18

Re: REVELATION TIME: President Nelson Announces Upcoming Important Message for Young People

Post by jfro18 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:17 pm

Emower wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:49 pm
Ha! I love it when stuff says "from the desk of..." It sounds so pretentious and cringey.
Yep. he might be the nicest guy in the world, but he really comes off as on the ultimate ego trip as prophet/president.

I always loved Gordon B. Hinckley in the church - he just seemed like a big teddy bear. Nelson just seems to intent of making the most of his authority, and his worldwide trips paid for by tithing really seem to show it.

I'm sure the youth devotional while all students are in class will be a smashing success!

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:32 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:17 pm
I'm sure the youth devotional while all students are in class will be a smashing success!
All the kids in release-time seminary will be watching.

I'm curious what he will say. My kids are adults now, but not completely on their own. I'll be watching to see what they'll be hearing at institute.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:32 pm
jfro18 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:17 pm
All the kids in release-time seminary will be watching.

I'm curious what he will say. My kids are adults now, but not completely on their own. I'll be watching to see what they'll be hearing at institute.
Ahh... being in the midwest I forget that's a thing. Is it at the same time for everyone though? I guess that would make sense if he's going to talk to them during a school day.

Maybe it's just a 'welcome back to school' message with warnings about the outside world, research, etc.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 am

CEO Nelson is speaking at a BYU devotional.

It's probably a weekly thing, but because the CEO is speaking, it's more important, and they're inviting the whole world instead of just BYU "youth."

And... No. "Release Time Seminary" is not all at the same time, so just the "lucky" ones in seminary at the right time will be watching CEO-cRusty.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:48 am

I can already tell you what the message will be:
4459708491_5592910f18.jpg
4459708491_5592910f18.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 10368 times
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:52 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 pm
Ahh... being in the midwest I forget that's a thing. Is it at the same time for everyone though? I guess that would make sense if he's going to talk to them during a school day.

Maybe it's just a 'welcome back to school' message with warnings about the outside world, research, etc.
You're right. Not all the kids will be in seminary at the same time. I'll bet there's a loop though for a day afterward showing it again and again. I live in the midwest, also, but I grew up with release time seminary. It was one of the biggest wastes of time in my life. I wish I had done something else with that school period every day.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:50 pm

This is really a strange announcement. It's not like we are waiting for a new trailer for Star Wars or for Borderlands 3 to be released. Nelson will have the full attention of the church in three weeks on General Conference. What can possibly be so amazing that it needs to be now and interrupt the school day of thousands of LDS students? I imagine the let down and post announcement rationalization that most Mormons don't have to work up until general conference. Now they have to explain why Russell had to let everyone know to "support the new youth program" or "share the gospel with one new person today" instead of waiting until October.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Corsair wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:50 pm
This is really a strange announcement. It's not like we are waiting for a new trailer for Star Wars or for Borderlands 3 to be released. Nelson will have the full attention of the church in three weeks on General Conference. What can possibly be so amazing that it needs to be now and interrupt the school day of thousands of LDS students? I imagine the let down and post announcement rationalization that most Mormons don't have to work up until general conference. Now they have to explain why Russell had to let everyone know to "support the new youth program" or "share the gospel with one new person today" instead of waiting until October.
Whatever it is, it will be set up like the emphasis on the Sabbath day observance a few years back. People will be breathlessly gushing over the amazing spirituality gained by doing whatever they are told to do. A benefit to giving the talk now will be the opportunity to gush about it over the pulpit in October. Letters will be written. Pictures will be taken. They will be shown on the big screen at the conference center.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:36 pm

blazerb wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Whatever it is, it will be set up like the emphasis on the Sabbath day observance a few years back. People will be breathlessly gushing over the amazing spirituality gained by doing whatever they are told to do. A benefit to giving the talk now will be the opportunity to gush about it over the pulpit in October. Letters will be written. Pictures will be taken. They will be shown on the big screen at the conference center.
It could very well be something like a "countdown to conference" challenge like read the BoM or a social media fast to focus.

that would be hilarious to me, but it wouldn't surprise me... what else would they actually call a special request by the only living prophet in this world to announce?

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:58 pm

The timing is what makes this suspicious. Is this some cultic obedience test to see who will get their kids excused from school for this? Is it a publicity stunt to help the COJCOLDS kids get noticed by their peers. As in , whoa that old guy must be super important to ditch school for.

I predict that all but the most TBM of TBMs will be completely underwhelmed.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:27 am

"God loves you all and you need to demonstrate your love for Him by not drinking any drinks ending in -ccino. That is all. Back to class."
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:03 am

PS. Get married right away and start popping out babies. The Church needs new members.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 am

We all know what this is really about. President Nelson loves loves loves the attention he gets as The Prophet, and now that his birthday bash is over he's hurting for attention. He doesn't really have a special message for the young people, he just likes the ego stroking he gets when he plays prophet. If he really had a message that was all that important he wouldn't make the young people come to a broadcast to give it to them, he'd just tell them all on that newfangled thing called the internet. But oh, the anticipation and excitement when he does it this way. A special message from the Prophet? This should be good. I can't wait until Tuesday.

Barf.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:58 am

Any reports on what this was all about?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:25 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:58 am
Any reports on what this was all about?
I didn't watch, but I'll take a guess. It was something like "stay on the covenant path." or boat or something. Stay in the church no matter what.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:35 am

fetchface wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:25 am
I didn't watch, but I'll take a guess. It was something like "stay on the covenant path." or boat or something. Stay in the church no matter what.
Looks like I was wrong. It was, "we are right even when we are wrong." See consiglieri's new thread.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:25 pm

Can someone post a link to this?