A one-liner that captures your disaffection

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

A one-liner that captures your disaffection

Post by Hagoth » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:30 pm

I have been trying to boil my disaffection down to the simplest one-liner that will get the message across without inviting argument. So far I have come up with two works-in-progress:

-I just can't believe in angels with gold plates.

-How can something that causes me so much cognitive dissonance possibly be true?

How about y'all?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Re: A one-liner that captures your disaffection

Post by wtfluff » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:36 pm

- I'm done giving my time and money to an organization that didn't really teach me anything more than to hate myself.
Last edited by wtfluff on Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Newme

Post by Newme » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:57 pm

I’m kinda nervous ‘cause I just texted my sister:

“Yeah - probably true. [Agreeing about shaming those who divorce.] Our lds culture is considered cultish (in money & no free speech) but isn't as bad as some cults. What I love about our church is how we serve one another, have high standards & callings that help us grow.”

Planting seeds... ;)

Preparing for a family reunion, I wrote these out...

*The church is great for a sense of community, opportunities to serve & love & to regularly remind us to do better. It’s dysfunctional in finances and cult mentality.

*Christ said the greatest commandments - above all laws and prophets - are to love God, others and ourselves. Tithing belongs to God. And God is represented by those in need. “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least, you’ve done it unto me.” Tithes are not given to the poor - but are even taken from them - in this way, the church acts against Christ.

*It’s not all or nothing. Just as no person is 100% good or 100% evil, same with a group of people and writings of people - even scriptures.

*I used to look down on people who stopped believing in the church. I assumed I was right and that I had arrived at the Truth. But now I realize as Widstoe said, “An egoist will never get anywhere because he thinks he’s already arrived.”

Random

Post by Random » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:01 pm

I learned that my relationship to God is between me and God, not between me and God's "managers".
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Literalness never was truthfulness.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:39 pm

Feelings aren't a reliable source of truth for anything else, so why would feelings be the source of truth regarding the nature of the universe and human existence?
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:10 pm

Garments made my balls itch!

Garments killed my testimony!

God didn’t wear garments!

Jesus didn't wear garments!

Why would God create beautiful bodies and require garments to be worn 24/7?

Garments suck.

Joseph made it up!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Post by alas » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:17 pm

I like God better when I don’t go to church.

Attending the Mormon church made me hate myself and God.

Mormonism just doesn’t work for me.

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:26 pm

How about this: "Science, viewed objectively, discredits the Church's claim that JS was a prophet."

If there were just one teaching that he probably could not have gotten right without being a prophet, that actually turned out to be right when all the evidence was gathered and weighed, it would be different for me. That I sincerely believe. I could cut JS all kinds of slack. But there's nothing.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:00 pm

"If Mormonism is the ultimate answer to the great test of life, God's got some 'splaining to do."
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:07 am

I’d rather focus on what’s here and now rather than on what I’m told is going to happen/be after.

Free of constraints, must dos, should haves, need tos and Mormon guilt.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:12 am

"It may be a fairy story, but it is our fairy story!"
-- some SL Tribune poster from years ago
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:41 am

If A=b and B=C, Then A=C. The BoA is obviously not translation like it is claimed... a bunch of interim details... Therefore the church is not true.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

græy

Post by græy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:41 am

I feel like my belief suffered death-by-a-thousand-cuts.

I could probably deal with any one or even a few of all the problems with the church and it's truth claims. But EVERY SINGLE story, claim, and doctrine has some major caveat that has to be taken in.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:04 am

My food storage expired.

I didn’t like jello.

I’m allergic to wheat.

I hate garments.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:45 am

Linked wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:39 pm
Feelings aren't a reliable source of truth for anything else, so why would feelings be the source of truth regarding the nature of the universe and human existence?
This crossed my mind, though I would have stated it as:
- I don't believe in ghosts, holy, friendly or otherwise.

And to jump on the bandwagon:
- Garments suck.
Last edited by wtfluff on Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

græy

Post by græy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:02 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:10 pm
Garments made my balls itch!
Garments killed my testimony!
God didn’t wear garments!
Why would God create beautiful bodies and require garments to be worn 24/7?
Garments suck.
Joseph made it up!
Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:04 am
My food storage expired.
I didn’t like jello.
I’m allergic to wheat.
I hate garments.
:lol:

Moroni didn't wear garments!
I liked the 1840s style garments best, but SP said they're not approved anymore!
My friend RR told me he hates garments, and then it hit me, I don't like them much either!
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

græy

Post by græy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:06 am

I don't believe seer stones or scrying was ever anything but a con. I also don't beleive in the modern equivalents of reading palms, crystal balls, or seances. If any of those things worked reliably they would not have faded into history and would have instead become a widespread tool for determining truth and understanding the world. If they were never real, then JS was a con artist, and I don't believe God would call a con artist to use his con-arts to restore the exclusive path into heaven.

(I never hit enter, so that that counts as one line, right?)

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:03 am

After trying it their way for over 40 years I finally figured out it does not work for me.

The church's actual factual history is not even close to what they taught me in their manuals, institutes and churches and it's not what they told me I to preach on my mission.

So you'er telling me that less than 1/2 a percent of all of God's children on this planet are the super special ones with all the truth and yet the 2nd coming is right around the corner?

What percentage of the billions of dollars in land and stocks does TSCC spend on humanitarian aid?

How come Jesus didn't live the "true and everlasting covenant"? How come you are not living it? It's still in your scriptures, right?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE