A one-liner that captures your disaffection

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

Re: A one-liner that captures your disaffection

Post by deacon blues » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:58 pm

God doesn’t need rites or rituals, passwords or prophets, tithes or corporations to save his children. All that is required is truth and love.

The best thing about the Church is the people. The worst thing is the corporation.

The Church, especially it’s temple interview process, teaches us to think more like the Pharisee and less like the publican.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Ho Lee Turtle

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:26 pm

And it came to pass, I discovered the truth wasn’t written upon golden plates.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:48 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:58 pm
God doesn’t need rites or rituals, passwords or prophets, tithes or corporations to save his children. All that is required is truth and love.

The best thing about the Church is the people. The worst thing is the corporation.

The Church, especially it’s temple interview process, teaches us to think more like the Pharisee and less like the publican.
+1

Totally agree here. Well put.

As far as prophets go, the scriptures say "there is nothing new under the sun." Even with all the new technology the problems of human nature are still the same as they have ever been. So if a person doesn't get wisdom and understanding from a good study of what has already been written, chances are a "modern prophet" wouldn't help that much. Especially when so many false prophets seem to abound.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:47 am

I was asked to support one outrage too many.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:41 am

Many years ago I woke up one day, walked to the bathroom in my G’s and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought “oh God! wtf am I wearing?”

A few years ago I woke up one day, walked to the bathroom in my colorful boxers and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought “I’m created in God’s image!”

Today I woke up, walked to the bathroom in complete nakedness and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought “I am God!”

Tomorrow, I may not wake up at all and will become the dust of the earth, only a fading memory held forever in a scrapbook, a digital snapshot capturing my thoughts in a few internet discussion forums, and Google God’s all knowing memory.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:50 pm

If this is the best plan a god can come up with, then he is a pretty shitty god.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:02 pm

I’m convinced Joseph Smith did more to organize the Church than Jesus did.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:08 pm

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Many years ago I woke up one day, walked to the bathroom in my G’s and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought “oh God! wtf am I wearing?”

A few years ago I woke up one day, walked to the bathroom in my colorful boxers and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought “I’m created in God’s image!”

Today I woke up, walked to the bathroom in complete nakedness and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought “I am God!”

Tomorrow, I may not wake up at all and will become the dust of the earth, only a fading memory held forever in a scrapbook, a digital snapshot capturing my thoughts in a few internet discussion forums, and Google God’s all knowing memory.
This is one of the greatest posts of all time!

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:35 am

Red Ryder essentially said this earlier, but this is one word shorter: “Joseph lied.”

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:47 am

I still remember the day I read an article in the Tribune about DNA and the BOM. I googled for more information and ended up watching a video about the Book of Abraham. About half way though the video I thought to myself:

"Joseph made it all up."

A switch inside me flipped at the moment and I have been a non-believer ever since.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Keewon wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:10 pm

This is one of the greatest posts of all time!
I agree! We need a hall of fame.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:01 pm

I just couldn't hate the people they wanted me to hate.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:31 pm

"Any God that is OK with polygamy is not a God I want to worship"

Polygamy was what really led to me leaving - I didn't know about the other problems at first beyond polygamy and the ban on blacks. So I suppose that would've been my initial line. Now... it would be hard to get it down to online.

"Any heaven that separates families is not heaven at all."

"Either God set Joseph Smith up to look like the biggest fraud ever or Joseph Smith made it all up."

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:49 am

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:31 pm
"
"Either God set Joseph Smith up to look like the biggest fraud ever or Joseph Smith made it all up."
Bwahahahaha.

That is awesome!

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:50 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:41 am

You kill me RR

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:54 am

Palerider wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:25 pm
My one-liner is, "I don't think you're prepared to have this conversation with me..."
I love this one!

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 am

I dont have a one liner. I would not ever want to have a one liner, as this conversation is just too significant and complicated to properly convey my feelings or experience.

Random

Post by Random » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:01 am

Blashyrkh wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:23 pm
I can do it in one word. . . . "Bretherenite."
Describes the current code of conduct, indeed.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:18 am

"I refuse to scrub the toilets of a multi-billion dollar corporation posing as a religion."

"The church just straight up doesn't work. What good is it in my life?"