Terryl Givens steps into the BoA ring

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Keewon

Re: Terryl Givens steps into the BoA ring

Post by Keewon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Apologeticsislying wrote:Gag! Oathlike allegiance sounds so much like the several BYU scholars who now refer to themselves as Disciple scholars who perform disciple scholarship. What the hell is that?! Disciple scholarship??? :lol: In other words, to give a loose translation, we will end up where the leaders end up in conclusions to our research no matter what the evidence claims.
If "sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven", what more costly sacrifice would a disciple have to offer than the sacrifice of his or her honesty and intellectual integrity? On the altar it goes.

Keep throwing stuff on that altar, apologists. Something's gotta work. As Elijah said:
"Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.”

Random

Post by Random » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:26 pm

Apologeticsislying wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:58 pm
. . . sounds so much like the several BYU scholars who now refer to themselves as Disciple scholars who perform disciple scholarship. What the hell is that?!
:lol: I started to say, "What the hell is that?" about 4 words before I read that you were saying the same thing. :D
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:49 am

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:58 pm
"Oathlike allegiance" is how I think Oaks put it.
Seeing the words oath and Oaks so close together makes me uncomfortable.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:50 am

Keewon wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:51 pm
As Elijah said:
"... or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.”
So the Old Testament God was Cthulhu?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Hagoth wrote: Keewon wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:51 pm
As Elijah said:
"... or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.”

So the Old Testament God was Cthulhu?
It would be interesting to juxtapose some passages from H. P. Lovecraft with Old Testament passages and see how many Gospel Doctrine class regulars would be able to tell the difference. Kind of like juxtaposing BofM with The Late War. :)

I wonder how much Lovecraft was inspired by the Old Testament. If you're writing horror novels there is certainly no lack of stuff to draw on.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:29 pm

John 20:8-9 (King James/Necronomicon hybrid version)

8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed and he sayeth:

9 "Great holes secretly are digged where earth's pores ought to suffice, and things have learnt to walk that ought to crawl."

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 am

Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:33 am
Yeah when I say we, I am speaking of FAIR. I am one of its original founders, Kerry Shirts. Well, the church did try the I am a Mormon campaign, but still, for every Mormon online, there are an overwhelmingly number of responders who just see through the bullroar anymore. Me? I'm just a little slow on the uptake, but sure enough, attempting for long enough to drink the Kool Aid kinda like ruined my digestion... :lol:
Apologeticsislying - I'm confused man. You are Kerry Shirts? I don't 100% doubt it, but I'm confused since BYU still has a URL for you as a current admin at FAIR? Your current stance on things doesn't seem to jive w/ the possibility that you're still a head hancho at FAIR?

https://mi.byu.edu/people/kerry-a-shirts/
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:13 am

:lol: Don't tell em, lets see if they figure out how to update...... but yes it's me, and no I am not an apologist anymore. That would be like being a Trump employee, truly a horrible situation to be in.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-