Jimmer Fredette is a basketball God

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Korihor

Jimmer Fredette is a basketball God

Post by Korihor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:59 pm

http://nypost.com/2017/01/16/jimmer-fre ... -in-china/

In SS we learned the Lord is just waiting to open the flood gates to preach the gospel in China. This could be the final piece of the puzzle.
Maybe the church can get him to sign some stuff to give out as souvenirs at their next big PR event if Steve Young is feeling like donating some John Hancock's.

https://www.docdroid.net/W3258St/mormon ... tml#page=4
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Corsair

Re: Jimmer Fredette is a basketball God

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:08 am

I wonder how resolute is the LDS testimony of Brother Fredette? Will he mind being the face of LDS expansion into China?

I think that China is not quite the "field is white ready to harvest" situation that some LDS cheerleaders and armchair generals claim. This is a country that has stayed far more unified than Europe over thousands of years despite multiple dynasties and many invasions. I am quite skeptical that the LDS church would enjoy the success like they had in England in the 1840s or in South America more recently. China has a culture, and government, and history that has weathered numerous attempts to take it over. China has resisted and assimilated everything so far. Some upstart American restorationist faith is not going to have success simply by having a celebrity basketball player sign some autographs.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:28 am

But ... but ... but ... The uncut stone rolling down the mountain or something. China and India hold 1/2 of the world population. We could double our membership to 30M!

Those poor people don't understand how unblessed they truly are.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 pm

These folks are used to having the government tell them how to live their lives...Mormon COB narrative might actually sort of fit the China public way of thinking and be somewhat successful. Friend of mine married a gal from China and the daughter met up with an RM here in Ogden and ended up going from atheism to Mormonism fairly easily. Maybe the COB is onto something by making the push...besides fulfilling the "all nations, kindreds and tongues." prophesy.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:34 pm

We have an elder in the ward from China. He converted while completing a study abroad program. I don't know much about his story since his companion never let the conversation derail from the assigned message. The companion got transferred though, so maybe I'll get to see what he thinks.