Happy Birthday NOM!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Happy Birthday NOM!

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Happy 3rd Birthday NOM 2.0!

In celebration please share a memorable post that resonated with you. Sort of like testimony meeting.

PS. Did Captain S pay the bill to keep this slum rental going another 3 years?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Re: Happy Birthday NOM!

Post by Linked » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:15 pm

Happy Birthday!

I enjoyed this post by Ghost which brings up absurdism in a Slavereeno thread about Nihilism. It was the first time I had heard of absurdism, and it really resonated with me.

Ghost wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:18 pm
I barely had a faith crisis before it became an existential crisis. (I don't really like using the word "crisis" here but it's the common term.) While I find the issues specific to Mormonism interesting, I think the more serious issues lie a few layers deeper. What Joseph Smith did or didn't do loses a lot of its significance if the Christian foundation he built on is similarly shaky, as well as the theism that underlies that.

One of the main reasons I stick with Mormonism (to the degree that I do) is that even if it's all made up, so is everything else and it doesn't ultimately make a lot of difference whether I choose one tradition over another or attempt to break free of all of them (at whatever cost that exacts).

I think it's an understatement to say that nihilism isn't comforting, but I've resigned myself to the idea that some flavor of it is probably inescapable for me. That said, from my limited investigation of such things, I tend more toward absurdism than nihilism.

This is a topic I actually enjoy thinking about and discussing. Well, the discussion part is mostly in theory. I try not to bring it up too much because I fear it's not a pleasant topic for many and I have no more desire to spread nihilist ideas than I do religious ones.

A side note, but I find it interesting that some people have affection for God in the absence of any belief in an afterlife, or with the belief that one's unique personality and memories will be gone as one is absorbed into some sort of heavenly collective consciousness/God.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:48 pm

I want to bear my Nom-imony that I enjoy all of Red Ryder's posts denouncing garments and expressing hatred for them repeatedly.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Happy birthday NOM - so glad to have been steered your way a year-ish ago!

There have been a lot of posts I've really enjoyed reading - I need to think about this and report back... been some great conversations over the last year that I've either enjoyed just reading or have been really interesting to discuss and see the back and forth.

I'll try to think of some of those and post them here later. I wish I had some cake to celebrate the day today... because I love cake.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:17 am

Yes, happy birthday to NOM.

I am a person who can never have one favorite anything, but this post is definitely a hall of famer with me.

viewtopic.php?t=2767
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:36 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:07 pm
Happy 3rd Birthday NOM 2.0!

In celebration please share a memorable post that resonated with you. Sort of like testimony meeting.

PS. Did Captain S pay the bill to keep this slum rental going another 3 years?
The Captain only paid for one additional year, but it's for a surprisingly good reason. The web hosting provider had a lower cost for renewing for 12 months instead of 36. I truly do not know why they would have made it $5.00 per month cheaper to renew for only a single year. I suspect that this was some kind of error on the part of BlueHost, but I am happy to exploit it. Perhaps I will spend my savings on some kind of Word of Wisdom violation.

In any case, Happy Birthday to NOM and I continue to enjoy seeing that discussions continue to happen. I'm happy to know all of you in some small way.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:35 am

and might I add:

And you smell like one too...

I brought cake but damned if I can figure out how to share it with y'all.

Thanks Captain and RR!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:52 am

F89CA8D2-FD5A-40E4-A854-DAB54608CEA7.jpeg
Let’s Celebrate
F89CA8D2-FD5A-40E4-A854-DAB54608CEA7.jpeg (130.68 KiB) Viewed 7640 times
~2bizE

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:37 pm

I can't say that I know of a specific post, but I really like reading jfro18's analyses of the essays and other publications. They have been most enlightening. This site has been an important part of helping me navigate painful transitions.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:29 pm

ONE memorable post? My fluffy brain can't do it.

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:48 pm

I would like to shout out the "What are you drinking right now?" thread in "The Coffee Shop" for this birthday celebration...three years of NOM 2.0 and 17 pages of confessions in.

That was one of my favorite threads from the old NOM, and I am glad it was started up again here.

In memory of that old thread, and celebration of the new, I quote the old tagline from cwald (a regular poster to the old thread):

"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson"

Cheers NOM 2.0! Happy Birthday!
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:06 pm

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:52 am

HappyBdayNOM!.png
HappyBdayNOM!.png (138.52 KiB) Viewed 7571 times
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Happy Birthday to NOM, and many, many thanks to everyone for all the wonderful posts. Thanks to Capt. S and to everyone who work to keep this site up and running. It's been a real sanity-saver and a real day-brightener for me. Happy Birthday, and hopefully many, many more. 8-) - Wndr.

Random

Post by Random » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:52 pm

It's difficult to name one post.

Some contenders:

Posts answering my questions about the Book of Abraham.

MoPag offering MoPag blessings to everyone.

Some of the recipes I got from the What Are You Drinking thread.

I think it was this (new) site that helped me transition to Gentile underwear, but can't say for sure.

MoPag's threads about gen conf that invited people to rate speakers, then the posts with the final tallies.

Almost anything by RR and Moksha :D :lol:

And so many I cannot name because I don't remember who wrote them/exactly what they contained.

And even the sad ones where people were going through sad or scary or painful times, because of all the love and support given (I rarely post in those, but I definitely do the prayers to heaven/positive vibes thing - and have the coffee in honor of the son that is gone).
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Emower

Post by Emower » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:13 am

This place is a godsend for many. Thanks ya'll, for being there for those of us who drift in and out.

Although there is so much to chooses from, this quote from early on in my posting days has remained memorable. Thanks RR.
Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:28 am
Emower wrote:Why does God have to be so distant?
I used to ask this same question. Then I realized he was always close. So close in fact, that I found he was right between my ears the whole time. He even speaks to me all the time too.

He says, "Don't worry, be happy!"

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:38 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!!! :P

One of my favorite threads is the annual halloween unveiling. I have always been too chicken to participate. But I am nearly to the F%$#-it stage and just might this year.

The reason I stay on NOM is because of the importance of my relationships with my TBM family. The threads that help debrief some of the conflict tend to be my most favorite.
Attachments
4b378a117a2980398d48efc7ebd4b9d2.jpg
4b378a117a2980398d48efc7ebd4b9d2.jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 7435 times

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:50 pm

Happy birthday NOM 2.0 !!!! Love it and all my Nomies!!!!!!!!

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:19 am

I wanted to mention a couple things in this thread when it was new, but I was afraid that I'd misattribute one of the things I wanted to mention. But I will go ahead and mention them anyway. Both are from an old iteration of NOM.
  1. In a thread in which we were discussing finding meaning and value in things during and after a faith transition, I'm pretty certain it was oliver who pointed out that nothing generically "matters." You always have to consider who something matters to. So the value that we place on something isn't any less real than meaning granted by God or the cosmos in some abstract sense. It's all we have. This is something I've thought about a lot since.
  2. I don't remember the context of this one, exactly, but I believe it was a comment by Hagoth. Something about how it's equally valid to live a life full of accomplishments (by whatever measure) or to live a "quiet life." One is not better than the other and it comes down to what we choose to value. Sorry, Hagoth, if this wasn't you or if it was and I remember it wrong or misinterpreted it. But it's another thing that I've thought about a lot.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:42 pm

Happy boithday NOM! Thanks to everyone for the low-level bitterness. It's tremendous.

My favorite threads are the General NOMference ones. But if I had to pick one that's not GN, this one sums up everything that's awesome about NOM 2.0:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4653
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.