Whats good on netflix?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
StarbucksMom

Re: Whats good on netflix?

Post by StarbucksMom » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:42 pm

-Outlander (I think seasons 1 & 2 are on Netflix) sooo good!! You will need Starz for other seasons. Adults only.
-Marvelous Mrs Maisel-Amazon-my husband and I really enjoy watching this together. Adults only also.
-If you have never seen any/all seasons of 24- I think it’s still on Amazon and it’s so good! We let our tween boys watch w/ us and fwded thru some of the intense violent scenes. (there’s hardly any sex)

I would love to find another show like 24 to watch w/ my husband and boys. We haven’t been able to find another show quite like it. Any recommendations?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:53 pm

“StarbucksMom” wrote:I would love to find another show like 24 to watch w/ my husband and boys. We haven’t been able to find another show quite like it. Any recommendations?
The Americans was a great show. Some minor sex scenes which might not be so good for the tweens.

Leverage is a good clean show for the whole family.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Redcrown27

Post by Redcrown27 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:59 am

El Camino

I binge watched breaking bad a few years ago and loved it. I also liked Better call Saul which was a prequel to Breaking Bad. I always wanted them to make at least a mini series for what happened to Jessie Pinkman after Breaking Bad.

El Camino is a Jessie Pinkman movie that takes place RIGHT AFTER BREAKING BAD!!!

I did not bother reading any reviews. It seems like everyone is a Hater on everything these days.

If you are looking for some good action legal drama type shows I would suggest Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad and El Camino.

Outlander was mentioned earlier. My wife and I are slowly watching those. I think once Starz decides to finish out the series I would be more than happy to buy the entire series on blue ray because we love it so much.

THE I - LAND is a wonderful mini series with twists and turns. I may have to watch it again just see it from a different perspective.

Those are some of the action shows I like.

I like the various talk shows that are on netflix now. My next Guest with David Letterman. Comedians in Cars getting Coffee with Jerry Sinfield, Comedy Bang Bang, Conan O'Brien

They have some nice documentaries. One of the old Bob Ross shows is on netflix.

If you like the Show Friends that is on Netflix. If you have already watched friends please watch the show Episodes which kind of like a 30 Rock Humored show of behind the scenes of T.V. sitcoms.

These are things that I have watched recently and thought were fun.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:57 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:42 pm
-Outlander (I think seasons 1 & 2 are on Netflix) sooo good!! You will need Starz for other seasons. Adults only.
I love Outlander!!

My Netflix recommendations that haven't been mentioned:

Call the Midwife
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

About a year or so ago I watched a Netflix documentary, I think it was called Dark Tourism. It was really fascinating and really f-ed up.

It you get amazon watch Fleabag. But probably not with a TBM spouse :)
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Redcrown27 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:59 am
THE I - LAND is a wonderful mini series with twists and turns. I may have to watch it again just see it from a different perspective.
I really wanted to like this show, but the acting in the first episode was so HORRIBLE I just couldn't continue. Maybe I will give it another chance.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Redcrown27 wrote:
El Camino

I binge watched breaking bad a few years ago and loved it. I also liked Better call Saul which was a prequel to Breaking Bad. I always wanted them to make at least a mini series for what happened to Jessie Pinkman after Breaking Bad.

El Camino is a Jessie Pinkman movie that takes place RIGHT AFTER BREAKING BAD!!!

I did not bother reading any reviews. It seems like everyone is a Hater on everything these days.

If you are looking for some good action legal drama type shows I would suggest Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad and El Camino.

Outlander was mentioned earlier. My wife and I are slowly watching those. I think once Starz decides to finish out the series I would be more than happy to buy the entire series on blue ray because we love it so much.

Those are some of the action shows I like.

I like the various talk shows that are on netflix now. My next Guest with David Letterman. Comedians in Cars getting Coffee with Jerry Sinfield, Comedy Bang Bang, Conan O'Brien

They have some nice documentaries. One of the old Bob Ross shows is on netflix.

If you like the Show Friends that is on Netflix. If you have already watched friends please watch the show Episodes which kind of like a 30 Rock Humored show of behind the scenes of T.V. sitcoms.

These are things that I have watched recently and thought were fun.
I just finished El Camino. I liked the ending and I appreciate the sacrifice his friends made for him in the beginning to get away. In my line of work I have seen that there really is a code among thieves.

There was a scene near the end with the strippers/cocaine when they were referencing Brigham Young, etc. I didn't quite understand what they were saying. I haven't watched Breaking bad since it came out- so i have forgotten if there was a mormon in the show?
I want to watch Better Call Saul- I think I will watch it next. Muddling through Shameless right now. Sometimes it is not easy to watch- the amount of trauma they cope with is exhausting. But with 15-20% of the population living in that kind of poverty- I dont think it is far off course.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:19 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:29 am
If you have Prime, be sure to watch both seasons of "Patriot"
It's my favorite original series from any of the providers, very unique, fun and a bit dark at times; the characters and writing are outstanding!
I thought the Patriot was great. It was oddly funny and surprising.
~2bizE

Redcrown27

Post by Redcrown27 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:13 pm

oliblish wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:49 pm
Redcrown27 wrote:
I really wanted to like this show, but the acting in the first episode was so HORRIBLE I just couldn't continue. Maybe I will give it another chance.
I think it gets better.

With Netflix original movies and shows I don't have high expectations for the acting. I expect the acting to be kind of bad like the TBS made for T.V. movies or a Hallmark special.

I think the overall story was good even if the acting was not so great.

Redcrown27

Post by Redcrown27 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 am

I just finished El Camino. I liked the ending and I appreciate the sacrifice his friends made for him in the beginning to get away. In my line of work I have seen that there really is a code among thieves.

There was a scene near the end with the strippers/cocaine when they were referencing Brigham Young, etc. I didn't quite understand what they were saying. I haven't watched Breaking bad since it came out- so i have forgotten if there was a mormon in the show?
I want to watch Better Call Saul- I think I will watch it next. Muddling through Shameless right now. Sometimes it is not easy to watch- the amount of trauma they cope with is exhausting. But with 15-20% of the population living in that kind of poverty- I dont think it is far off course.

What kind of work do you do?

The Scene you are talking about just after the girls leave the bad guy building starts at about 1:35 in the film.

This is just a clumsy attempt to have an inside Mormon Joke on the word of wisdom. For reasons that the word wisdom does not actually forbid cocaine it is therefor not breaking the word of wisdom.

The first guy has his mirror and with the lines of Powder and his snorting through rolled up bills. The second guy motions the mirror over and says " I said I said my son Cocaine was not even invited when Brigham Young was alive it's okay you can have some."

He is using some Catholic Terminology in here and of course the word of wisdom was a writing brought by Joseph Smith JR and not Brigham Young. It is just kind of a clumsy joke there.

Another Joke is what happens next.

The second man who made the Brigham Young Comment takes the mirror and starts snorting everything that is left on the mirror. The other men in the room sigh and laugh that all the cocaine is going to be gone. They call the man who is snorting up all the rest of the cocaine a "Cocaine Mormon"

The joke here is that people from strict organized religion tend to over indulge into bad habits.

The Stereotype for Catholic girls is that they are the biggest sluts because anything sexual is extremely forbidden. They tend to leave the catholic boys to praying and confessing while the girls find non catholic boys to have sex with. Maybe The movie should have made one of those girls catholic to balance out the random poking fun of religions.

Mormons are known for the extremely clean life style no booze no, smokes, no coffee or tea. The stereotype is that when a Mormon leaves their clean church for the Jungle they tend to jump head first into all the bad habits they were strictly forbidden to partake of. At a party it is the Mormon kid that drinks up all the beer and wine coolers because he/she never could have it before. Everyone is mad that the Mormon kid (former Mormon) is the one that always drinks up all the beer before anyone else has a chance to have a taste.

There was not a Mormon character in Breaking Bad. It was just a joke about Ex Mormons getting too carried away with bad habits and their friends getting mad that everything gets consumed.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:47 am

Redcrown27 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 am

What kind of work do you do?

The Scene you are talking about just after the girls leave the bad guy building starts at about 1:35 in the film.

This is just a clumsy attempt to have an inside Mormon Joke on the word of wisdom. For reasons that the word wisdom does not actually forbid cocaine it is therefor not breaking the word of wisdom.

The first guy has his mirror and with the lines of Powder and his snorting through rolled up bills. The second guy motions the mirror over and says " I said I said my son Cocaine was not even invited when Brigham Young was alive it's okay you can have some."

He is using some Catholic Terminology in here and of course the word of wisdom was a writing brought by Joseph Smith JR and not Brigham Young. It is just kind of a clumsy joke there.

Another Joke is what happens next.

The second man who made the Brigham Young Comment takes the mirror and starts snorting everything that is left on the mirror. The other men in the room sigh and laugh that all the cocaine is going to be gone. They call the man who is snorting up all the rest of the cocaine a "Cocaine Mormon"

The joke here is that people from strict organized religion tend to over indulge into bad habits.

The Stereotype for Catholic girls is that they are the biggest sluts because anything sexual is extremely forbidden. They tend to leave the catholic boys to praying and confessing while the girls find non catholic boys to have sex with. Maybe The movie should have made one of those girls catholic to balance out the random poking fun of religions.

Mormons are known for the extremely clean life style no booze no, smokes, no coffee or tea. The stereotype is that when a Mormon leaves their clean church for the Jungle they tend to jump head first into all the bad habits they were strictly forbidden to partake of. At a party it is the Mormon kid that drinks up all the beer and wine coolers because he/she never could have it before. Everyone is mad that the Mormon kid (former Mormon) is the one that always drinks up all the beer before anyone else has a chance to have a taste.

There was not a Mormon character in Breaking Bad. It was just a joke about Ex Mormons getting too carried away with bad habits and their friends getting mad that everything gets consumed.
Sincere thanks for the explanation. My Dh is constantly having to explain stuff to me in movies- I am a little hard of hearing. Too many years shooting guns without proper ear protection. I have worked in law enforcement for over 20 years. Currently an administrator over the state probation/parole department. I dont push too much to have him explain stuff when it is jokes about Mormons. Most of the time closed captioning is on-not sure why it wasnt on this one.

redjay

Post by redjay » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Netflix

Happy - mostly because it's irreverent
Inside Number 9 - quick to watch, quirky, interesting
Stranger Things - 1st Season OK/Good, 2nd Season OKish, 3rd Season great fin
Archer - though I've still to catch up with last Season
Happy Valley - a gut punch of fantastic british drama
Bodyguard - another suberb brit drama

Prime

Goliath - though have not seen latest season
The Boys - absolute hoot of program
Preacher - not for the easily offended
Good Omens - fun
Hanna - good one to watch with older teenage kids

Other

Chernobyl - HBO, probably the best drama I've watched this year
American horror story - some seasons better than others, a bit of a gorefest at times.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

hmb

Post by hmb » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:53 pm

I appreciate the suggestions. Especially Hermy's long list, itemized by provider. I see that a new series is starting this Friday called The Witcher. The trailer looks like it will be good.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:12 am

hmb wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:53 pm
I see that a new series is starting this Friday called The Witcher.
Geralt of Rivia might soon become a household name! I hope it is successful so that someday Skyrim can make it to the screen.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Tacenda

Post by Tacenda » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:41 am

I'm hooked on Queer Eye...so many heart warming transformations, the most recent series is in Japan. You can't leave without feeling good while watching the Queer Eye guys come in and help so many. You have to watch all of the segments, too good not to see.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:17 pm

Not mentioned yet:
- The Big Bang Theory: aka Nerdy Friends (you might have to be outside the US to get this on Netflix)
- The OA: surrealist but draws you in
- Lost In Space: wholesome, great FX, fun story
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.