Does your spouse know you post on NOM?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.

Yes
48%
No
46%
Don’t have a spouse.
6%

Total votes: 50

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:29 pm

If no, why not?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Re: Does your spouse know you post on NOM?

Post by jfro18 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:17 pm

My wife knows I post within a group that is more constructive than places like reddit, but I've never told her the name of the site because I don't want her reading what I write until she's truly ready to talk about it. As of now she refuses to talk about anything in detail, so it's just not worth it.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Nope.

My spouse doesn't want to know anything about my "apostate lifestyle."

You know... Passive aggressive mormon-style: If they ignore it long enough, it will go away right? In actuality, that method will work... When I die, my apostate-ness will go away.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:03 pm

I don't think he knows I post on NOM. If he does, he's keeping very quiet about it.

Although it's a public space and never truly anonymous, I've felt able to post things here that are more personal than I would ever say to most people in real life. After I told my husband I no longer believed earlier this year I was worried he'd find NOM and find me and be upset at the things I posted, particularly about our relationship. As a result, I posted less often than before, and then I kind of stopped reading regularly as well which created a much needed break from Mormonism. But back to whether my husband knows, no, I've never told him. I prefer this to be my own personal space.

I posted a similar question earlier this year.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:26 pm

My wife does not need to know everything about me so I don't feel the need to share that I post here. It would undoubtedly lead to interviews with local leaders. I don't need that.

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:31 pm

I don't tell her, but I don't "not tell her". If I mention something I read here I just say "I read on the internet that..." and she never asks for specifics. I've told her about my disaffection in general several times, and then the next day she goes on and interacts with me like it never happened. Every time I bring it up it's like starting over. The same shock and hurt surface and her comments are as if she is hearing it for the first time. It's like living in the movie Groundhog Day. I just got tired of going through that and we don't discuss it.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:52 am

Yes, DW knows I post here. She will read through the site once in a while. I have invited her to join in, but she has yet to sign up. She doesn't get into the forum style of message board much.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

stuck

Post by stuck » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:53 am

No because she might feel bad about it although she knows of my dissaffection. It is nice to have a group like this though to commiserate with when the slog gets bad.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:51 am

Yes she knows. I wish she would read it or ask me more about it than she does, but we occasionally discuss religion, and I appreciate that.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

hmb

Post by hmb » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:27 pm

No because my DH is a nevermo and couldn't care less. For that I am truly grateful!! Amen.

græy

Post by græy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:35 pm

No, because she doesn't want to talk about anything in person, I don't think she'd appreciate much of what I've written here. She has seen one of my more innocuous posts when I accidentally left it up on the laptop, but I don't think she actually linked it to me as the one doing the writing. I waited for her to ask about it, but she never did.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:26 am

We have a “don’t ask don’t tell” policy in regards to my online anti-Mormon activities.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:26 am
We have a “don’t ask don’t tell” policy in regards to my online anti-Mormon activities.
Yep. That's about it!

Sis M knows I post here, doesn't like it, and is convinced ya'll are leading me carefully down to hell. If she actually takes the time to read what I post, I'm sure she'll know different.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:52 pm

No, I have to keep my apostate lifestyle very very secret!!! I think she knows but doesnt really want to know , if that makes sense.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 pm

For years, the answer was no. Now it is yes. She is now a NOM as well, just not on NOM. We are both active, calling having, non believing members stuck in the generational and community cult like community.

But aren't we all stuck in similar communities we dont love fully?!

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:26 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:15 pm
Nope.

My spouse doesn't want to know anything about my "apostate lifestyle."

You know... Passive aggressive mormon-style: If they ignore it long enough, it will go away right? In actuality, that method will work... When I die, my apostate-ness will go away.
+1
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Newme

Post by Newme » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:31 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Sis M knows I post here, doesn't like it, and is convinced ya'll are leading me carefully down to hell. If she actually takes the time to read what I post, I'm sure she'll know different.
Similar here.
I don’t post often here - and post more on other places. Yet, whenever we get into religious disagreements, DH assumes every point of disagreement is due to me reading on “anti-mormon” forums like this and gullibly going along with everything. I’ve tried to explain to him that I disagree on topics with many here too. He seems to project his own herd mentality but generally, my beliefs are not popular in most circles - religiously, politically, psychologically, spiritually. Though it could be partly where I live.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:48 pm

She knows and has said she's glad I have a community. I talk about NOM often and occasionally share stories and information, but she has no interest in checking it out for herself.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:09 pm

I was outed to my wife by having the old NOM open on a browser. Tough first discussion. It has been better since. She is more out than me now.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:58 am

Probably. I've mentioned it to him more than once. My husband (although he left the church with me) really doesn't care about Mormonism and will rarely even comment on it. The other day he was talking about schedules with our high schooler, and he mentioned early morning seminary and how awful it was. That's probably the second thing he's said about Mormonism in the last 6 months. I find it equal parts fascinating and frustrating that our experiences are so different at times.