RSP for a day?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

RSP for a day?

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:03 am

Let’s hypothetically assume you were called to be the RSP.

What do you like and dislike? How would you make RS better?

Typically problems are:

Age gap between newly wed and older sisters and the loss of participation when transitioning from YW.

All the fun ladies have other callings?
Boring activities?
Too spiritual, not enough social?
Priesthood interference?
Same old song and dance?

How would you run the show if you were the RSP?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Re: RSP for a day?

Post by Corsair » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:22 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:03 am
Let’s hypothetically assume you were called to be the RSP.
Does the Relief Society still provide "Relief?" It's still a "Society" so that part still seems to work. I cannot imagine any scenario where any bishop would want my contributions as RSP more that for a short time.

I am clearly part of the patriarchy, but one complaint that I regularly hear is that far too many lessons in RS are focused on "priesthood" and mainly supporting the "priesthood". Doing something that is more focused on feminine skills in offering "Relief" from suffering would seem to be more effective, but that may simply be my mansplaining talking.

If some bishop is foolish enough to call me as Elders Quorum President, I have more defined ideas about that. The Gospel Topic Essays will quickly become a frequent discussion point in the quorum. I am imagining different types of reactions to the "Plural Marriage (Polygamy) in Kirtland and Nauvoo" essay from EQ vs. RS. Neither reaction will be entirely positive, but shelf breaking over different items will probably come out.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:21 am

My mom taught RS in the 70's that were all about art and culture and literature- they were amazing.

I would bring all of that back and throw out anything that references a prophet.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:30 am

Haha, well...

My immediate answer to any calling whatsoever would be: No. (Possibly No thanks.)

Even if it were only for a day.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:11 pm

I read a post somewhere a long time ago about a RSP that was pretty unorthodox. She got called to be more orthodox and started holding RS under a tree in a nearby park. Maybe I'd do that.