Alcohol Content of Beer in Utah vs Walmart

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
wtfluff

Re: Alcohol Content of Beer in Utah vs Walmart

Post by wtfluff » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Inconceivable!

It seems that Walmart's lobbyist's have more influence on Utah's hill than LDS-inc.'s lobbyists. :lol: (I am a bit surprised.)

Could Bishop... Uh, I mean Governor Herbert still screw it up?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Random

Post by Random » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:49 pm

I came here to post the same thing.

https://fox13now.com/2019/02/25/utah-st ... ier-brews/
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:51 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:14 pm
Could Bishop... Uh, I mean Governor Herbert still screw it up?
I sincerely hope not.

And I'm a little surprised, but a little not, because the church is losing political power in Utah. It may be gradual, but it is happening.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:40 pm

According to the link I posted, it isn't quite time to celebrate.
The bill faces another vote in the Senate before moving over to the House. However, it faces a rough road there.

PK

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Random wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:40 pm
The bill faces another vote in the Senate before moving over to the House. However, it faces a rough road there.
Ah, there's the rub! I think it was the senate that Fd up prop 2.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:38 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:53 pm
Random wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:40 pm
Ah, there's the rub! I think it was the senate that Fd up prop 2.
Yup. Still plenty of time for the sheep on the hill to screw it up.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Random

Post by Random » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:59 pm

I hope it passes anyway. (One can always hope, right? At least until the end.)

PK

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:57 pm
2bizE wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:07 am
Completely blindsided. Did anyone else foresee this coming?
https://www.ksl.com/article/46489179/ch ... nce-stores
I think that every time TSCC pulls a stunt like this, they just look more stupid to the entire world. Maybe they think they look like heroes in the eyes of their TBMs.
And they probably do. I remember in our ward there was a group of fairly hardcore TBMs that would not even drink root beer, as it could be confused by an observer with caffeinated colas and therefore would have the appearance of evil. They would be the same type to think that a 1% difference in alcohol content would make a huge difference and be a "win" for the church.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Utah lawmakers have struck a deal to let higher-alcohol beer be sold in Utah grocery and convenience stores.

House members signed off on the measure Wednesday by a 61-14 vote, sending the bill back to the Senate for a final vote that is expected to occur Thursday.

This second substitute bill would boost the cap on retail beer from 3.2 percent to 4 percent by weight, a level that would include the majority of beer that already is in retail outlets, said bill sponsor, Sen. Jerry Stevenson, R-Layton.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/03/13/ ... each-deal/

PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:47 am

Random wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:16 pm
Utah lawmakers have struck a deal to let higher-alcohol beer be sold in Utah grocery and convenience stores.

House members signed off on the measure Wednesday by a 61-14 vote, sending the bill back to the Senate for a final vote that is expected to occur Thursday.

This second substitute bill would boost the cap on retail beer from 3.2 percent to 4 percent by weight, a level that would include the majority of beer that already is in retail outlets, said bill sponsor, Sen. Jerry Stevenson, R-Layton.
Baby steps I guess? Little, tiny, iddy-biddy baby steps...

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Random

Post by Random » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Better than nothing, I suppose.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:09 am

Apparently the law passed?
moksha wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:58 am
Here’s a true, but scary, Halloween story: Any beer that remains on liquor store shelves at midnight on Oct. 31 — and is 5% alcohol by volume or less — will be poured down the drain.

Unless consumers get there first to snag a six-pack or three — and probably at a bargain price.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/10/24/ ... or-stores/

PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:38 pm

Random wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:09 am
moksha wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:58 am
Here’s a true, but scary, Halloween story: Any beer that remains on liquor store shelves at midnight on Oct. 31 — and is 5% alcohol by volume or less — will be poured down the drain.

Unless consumers get there first to snag a six-pack or three — and probably at a bargain price.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/10/24/ ... or-stores/
Apparently the law passed?
The law passed in March 2019.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Random

Post by Random » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:10 pm

That's a long time ago. Was that before or after the state was fighting it?

PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:49 pm

Random wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:10 pm
That's a long time ago. Was that before or after the state was fighting it?
The basic gist of the timeline is in the article you linked.
Random wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:16 pm

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Random

Post by Random » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:39 pm

So, they actually did vote it in, in March, and no one fought against it/delayed it.

PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Random wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:39 pm
So, they actually did vote it in, in March, and no one fought against it/delayed it.
Oh, no...

The "original" bill that went before the house and senate would have bumped the legal limit in "stores" from 4%[ABV] up to 6%[ABV] and that bill was almost immediately shot down. A compromise bill was eventually passed raising the "store" limit from 4%[ABV] to 5%[ABV]. There was plenty of gerrymandering that went on to get the compromise bill passed.

Again: If you read the article you posted, it explains how the folks on "the hill" wanted to completely kill any changes, and they wanted to create a "task force" to "study the issue". The article also mentions how LD$-Inc. "opposed the plan."

Also of note: Many local Utah breweries who produce Mild Barely Drinks™ were opposed to the new bill in both of it's forms, as it increases their competition for "store" shelf space. Those brewers wanted the limits for Barley Drinks in "stores" removed completely. Many Mild Barely Drink™ aficionados in Utah are supposedly boycotting those local breweries because of their opposition to the new laws.

So yeah, there was quite a bit of "fighting," "delaying," and quite a bit of controversy, even right up to a few weeks before the new law went into effect where they had to make some changes so allow "stores" to stock "up to" 5%[ABV] Mild Barely Drinks™ in the "back room" so they could be ready to put them out on the shelves for the public at 12:00 AM on November 1st.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Random

Post by Random » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:39 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:28 pm
Again: If you read the article you posted
I know what the article I posted said, and because of the opposition, I supposed the bill had not gone through at all - until I found out on nom that the state liquor stores were dumping their beer at midnight.

It's an old article, and I had not heard any updates on the issue. Because it was old, I didn't think it was current (does that make any sense?).

I did forget that the original push was for up to 6%.

PK

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:36 am

For me this whole thing was just a bunch of LDS Corp manipulating the state government bull$hit. When you go out of state and see how much of a non-issue this is, it makes Utah's governance look like a joke! It's really about control and money, and pretend protection of the public so TSCC can keep up it's "specialness" with it's WOW facet. I mostly buy local and direct from breweries and distillers; sometimes visit the crappy little state stories and occasionally buy some low point brews from the grocer. What I want I can get, even if the state tries to make it somewhat inconvenient; I know they love that revenue!

Sometimes I prefer a low point brew because I want the drink with little to no buzz. Some of those double digit brews can only be consumed at certain times and places because you won't be wanting to be responsible for anything!

Now, let's really get something done on the hill and legalize the MJ! This will require the Feds to do it first, then UT will go kicking and screaming, just like same sex marriage.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Random

Post by Random » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:36 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:36 am
For me this whole thing was just a bunch of LDS Corp manipulating the state government bull$hit.
That is what it looks like to me, too. Obviously so.

I agree about making mj legal on a Federal level.

PK