Tribalism and the Internet

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Linked

Tribalism and the Internet

Post by Linked » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:30 pm

The internet has created an interesting stage for human tribalism. With the blogs and forums that have popped up a person can find a virtual tribe or set of virtual tribes which closely align with their values and interests. These virtual tribes can be more closely aligned with a person's interests than the physical tribe(s) which they belong to. This creates oddly contradicting emotions of feeling both less and more lonely.

There are places on the internet for just about any fandom. Reddit has subreddits for just about anything. From athiests to christian apologetics and from Disney to Big Mouth. Anti-vaxxers can find consolation with other anti-vaxxers while the rest of the internet gets vaccinated. You can find a forum to talk about your car with other owners of the same car. Most of the people on these forums probably only share a few things in common with you, but with half a dozen forums you can feel completely understood, one facet of your personality at a time. These forums can be a safe haven and make you feel like you are finally not alone, like NOM.

In your physical tribe it can feel like no one really understands you anymore because those people aren't as closely aligned to your values and interests as your conglomeration of virtual tribes, even if the people in your physical tribe are a decent overall match to you. In your interactions with your physical tribe you might feel less understood, and less understanding. Being able to further explore yourself with your virtual tribes also helps you grow away from your physical tribe if they are not interested in the same things.

But you still spend a large amount of your attention with your physical tribe. So while you feel less alone due to your virtual tribes, you grow further away from your physical tribe which makes you feel more lonely as you and the people around you every day care less and less about the same things. As Jung said, "Loneliness does not come from having no people about one, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself, or from holding certain views which others find inadmissible."

Is it better to not have these virtual tribes so we stay closer to the people around us in our physical tribe? Or as you discover how different you are from those near you should you cut ties and go find people who are more like you? If neither of those then how can a person optimize their happiness while straddling this connected world we live in?
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Random

Re: Tribalism and the Internet

Post by Random » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:59 pm

I think the virtual tribes are necessary, in regards to some subjects, to stay sane (e.g. nom).
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:04 am

Linked wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:30 pm
Is it better to not have these virtual tribes so we stay closer to the people around us in our physical tribe? Or as you discover how different you are from those near you should you cut ties and go find people who are more like you? If neither of those then how can a person optimize their happiness while straddling this connected world we live in?
The institutional church would quietly prefer that we sacrifice for the tribe of the LDS church, but this is presented as devotion to Jesus Christ. Functionally equating Jesus and Christianity with the LDS church is where it gets problematic. The recent videos on "choosing to believe" imply this equivalence. Returning to belief in God is immediately tied to the non sequitur of belief in prophetic mantle of Russell Nelson.

This is a challenge to those of us who retain social ties to the LDS church. My undercover apostasy is challenged weekly (and weakly) by the teachings in my ward. I remain happy because I disengaged the LDS church from any sense of fulfillment or spirituality. I am surrounded by devoted Mormons in my family and I accept that they have heavily based their happiness on LDS devotion. I have to join with apostate friends and forums like this for that aspect of my life. The major drawback is that I am obviously holding back lots of ideas when I am in Elders Quorum.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:22 am

Like so many things, virtual tribes can be taken too far, especially if they become a complete retreat from reality. But, just like some things that are condemned by the Word of Wisdom, if used responsibly they can be a healthy respite from the sh!tstorm of daily pressures.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:04 am

The institutional church would quietly prefer that we sacrifice for the tribe of the LDS church, but this is presented as devotion to Jesus Christ. Functionally equating Jesus and Christianity with the LDS church is where it gets problematic. The recent videos on "choosing to believe" imply this equivalence.
Every TBM subliminally knows the church is God but they don't/can't mentally articulate it that way. They know that those on the outside don't experience the "true" happiness of those in the LDS tribe.
Outsiders are not as devoted to a Christ who is only an acquaintance, not a true Savior and friend. Outsiders do not experience the same amount or quality of happiness as insiders. Families who appear to be enjoying each other or having fun are only faking it. Equating the Outsiders' shallow Christian experience with the great depth of the LDS insiders' spiritual connection is a non-starter. In that respect, Outsiders are nearly walking automatons that can be sacrificed without a great deal of compunction. Speaking of sacrifice, Outsiders never learned how to REALLY sacrifice to bring forth the blessings of Heaven. Only insiders can do that because the sacrifice HAS to be made for the church. If it isn't made for the church it is only half-righteous. Only kind of acceptable to God. Similar to Cain's offering. An exercise in futility.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington