Mormon Stories Interviews RFM

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

Mormon Stories Interviews RFM

Post by consiglieri » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Marathon interview with John Dehlin last Friday.

Currently up on his fb page.

I had a blast!!!

deacon blues

Re: Mormon Stories Interviews RFM

Post by deacon blues » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:50 pm

I would like to listen to this, but I don't do facebook. (I'm a millenial) will it be posted on regular Mormon Stories?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:32 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:50 pm
I would like to listen to this, but I don't do facebook. (I'm a millenial) will it be posted on regular Mormon Stories?
Yes, John will have it up on mormonstories.org within a few days after editing and uploading. I have never listened to any of his live interviews either, but the full recording will be along shortly.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:17 pm

deacon blues wrote:I would like to listen to this, but I don't do facebook. (I'm a millenial) will it be posted on regular Mormon Stories?
I don’t think you need an account to watch. Just go to Facebook and search for Mormon stories podcast. The videos are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

felixfabulous

Post by felixfabulous » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:07 am

I watched/listened to all 6 hours. I'm a big RFM fan and this did not disappoint. Thanks RFM for doing this.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:24 am

Still waiting for the podcast. I get most of my podcast listening done on my bike or on the bus.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Someone please post a link when this podcast appears, thanks.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:40 am

Excellent work, Consig. I have been thinking a lot about what you said about the Bible stuff in the BOM being the smoking gun. It was the first thing that spooked me, and this was in 1991 on my mission. Someone asked, "Why the KJV english?" Not being any kind of scholar, I had nothing. Then I started to think (danger!) and I couldn't think of a single good reason that New World Nephites who spoke Hebrew and wrote in Reformed Egyptian would be writing in a style that would be translated into a version of english that was way outdated by 1830. The only answer I had was that God wanted it to look similar to the Bible so us dummies would see it as scripture, which was pretty weak.

Not long after that I made my own first discovery, which is the contradictory statements by Joseph in the JSH where he says he never thought that all the churches could be false but also says he went to ask God which one was right, or something.

I shoved those 2 doubts down so far that they were almost silent in my mind until my journey came to the place where I could allow myself to ask questions, and then they came rushing right back to the surface. Oddly enough, the BoM was the last thing I let go. My first concerns became the last resolved, which is pretty damn scriptural.

In any case, I think I agree that the BoM is the smoking gun. Old English, bible errors, Isaiah, all of the anachronisms, the whole brass plate story in context of the seer stone translation, the trinity from Abinidi and seriously, infant baptism was an issue for 4th century Nephites? Joseph, Gordon and Jeff have one thing right: it all rests on the BoM, the keystone of the religion.

Keep punching!

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:28 am

Just wanted to let you know the interview is now up on Mormon stories podcast. I am also converting the episodes one by one to put up on the radio free Mormon web page.

Now you can listen to the interview at a faster speed without having to look at my ugly mug!

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:27 pm

consiglieri wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:25 pm
Marathon interview with John Dehlin last Friday.
I made it all the way through!

Good stuff consiglieri.

I'm curious: Did you offer John any tips on editing podcasts? ;)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:36 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:27 pm
I'm curious: Did you offer John any tips on editing podcasts? ;)
HA!

Yeah, even for John, this is a long one and will take me a while to get through.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:20 pm

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:50 pm

thanks, Moksha.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:38 am

I enjoyed the whole thing. You are a tough cookie and not sure John knew how to handle you at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 am

Thanks consig. I’m about half way through
~2bizE

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:33 am

Yobispo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:40 am
Excellent work, Consig. I have been thinking a lot about what you said about the Bible stuff in the BOM being the smoking gun. It was the first thing that spooked me, and this was in 1991 on my mission. Someone asked, "Why the KJV english?" Not being any kind of scholar, I had nothing. Then I started to think (danger!) and I couldn't think of a single good reason that New World Nephites who spoke Hebrew and wrote in Reformed Egyptian would be writing in a style that would be translated into a version of english that was way outdated by 1830. The only answer I had was that God wanted it to look similar to the Bible so us dummies would see it as scripture, which was pretty weak.
I need to remember who, but there was an apostle who railed against new translations of the New Testament that use the word "love" where the KJV uses "charity." I guess it's a problem because, if the BoM ever gets a language update, Mormon sounds silly saying "Love is the pure love of Christ." But given the scripture, it the best translation.

I was also bothered by the reasons given for using KJV 2nd person pronouns, thee and thou and related words. Every other language on the planet uses familiar words to address God. Only in English do we have to show "respect" by using archaic language, that originally conveyed familiarity, that distances us from a relationship with Deity.

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:18 am

blazerb wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:33 am
I was also bothered by the reasons given for using KJV 2nd person pronouns, thee and thou and related words. Every other language on the planet uses familiar words to address God. Only in English do we have to show "respect" by using archaic language, that originally conveyed familiarity, that distances us from a relationship with Deity.
This! Another example of how Mormons can be fake and it’s a religion of pride.
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:23 am

When I initially saw that there was 7 parts, I almost passed it up. But just finished it and glad I listened.

It was great getting to know more about you consig in this interview. My opinion of you has gone up from an already decently high level. Don’t give attention to your inner voice that tells you you’re nothing! You’re an awesome guy and I wish I could grab a drink with you on a regular occasion.

Thanks for all you do RFM!
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Yobispo wrote:
Excellent work, Consig. I have been thinking a lot about what you said about the Bible stuff in the BOM being the smoking gun. It was the first thing that spooked me, and this was in 1991 on my mission.
Yeah, that was my final undoing, particularly the direct New Testament quote in the BoM from Paul, Luke, etc. I also always had a hard time with a mesoamerican apostle named Timothy, but Dan Petersen tells me that's exactly what I should expect.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:58 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Yobispo wrote:
Excellent work, Consig. I have been thinking a lot about what you said about the Bible stuff in the BOM being the smoking gun. It was the first thing that spooked me, and this was in 1991 on my mission.
Yeah, that was my final undoing, particularly the direct New Testament quote in the BoM from Paul, Luke, etc. I also always had a hard time with a mesoamerican apostle named Timothy, but Dan Petersen tells me that's exactly what I should expect.
There are some who call me "Tim"Image