Why would you want to help the needy ?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mackman

Why would you want to help the needy ?

Post by Mackman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Hello Nomies : Just another rant today. I recently inquired from our branch president as to why the church would not help our middle son with food ? Our middle son has Cerebral palsy from birth is not able to work but does manage to live on his own manage his meager finances from SSI etc . He recently had his food assistance slashed by 2/3 so he now receives $30.00 a month in food assistance. So the BP and Sp responded with any assistance is temporary and is not meant to become a way of life !!!!! Wow talk about a kick in the balls !!! What say the Nomie family ??

Red Ryder

Re: Why would you want to help the needy ?

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:40 pm

I see why the church only provides temporary support. They would run out of funds to buy real estate if they provided long term support.

Sorry to hear they cut his funds.

Are there any other programs or means for him to get more assistance?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:50 pm

Just to clarify my middle son has never received food assistance from the church. He was receiving government assistance that was slashed.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:13 pm

Trumpian economics may be the causative factor at play here both in terms of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the lack of empathy on the part of your church leaders.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Newme

Post by Newme » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Tithing is meant to go to the poor. 1/3 (according to Deut. 14:28-29) is supposed to go to the “widows and fatherless” but likely implies all those who cannot support themselves. Christ asked that those who can, give much more.

I understand that the church doesn’t want to enable generational or long-term welfare. That does happen, where people abuse government, religious and other charities. But your son’s case seems to fit into the category of long term care. I see it that many poor/disabled etc actually own tithes - but the church is stealing tithes from them. That may sound harsh, but Christ put it even harsher (parable of the sheep & goats).

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:51 pm

Mackman wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:06 pm
So the BP and Sp responded with any assistance is temporary and is not meant to become a way of life !!!!!
Response to BP&SP:
You're probably right, I'm sure when Christ healed someone the fix probably faded in a couple of days. And the Atonement probably isn't really "eternal" either. A few years in the Celestial kingdom and then "bam!".......no more soup for you!
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:31 pm

Oof. I'm so sorry.

In my area, the food bank allows people to come semi regularly and this time of year at least, they generally have a lot to offer. There's some sort of online service you can have donated food shipped to you. I cannot reeval the name, I'll do some searching and see what I can find. It might give him a temporary leg up or at least maybe cover a gap between what the church is willing to do.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:37 pm

Mackman wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:06 pm
Hello Nomies : Just another rant today. I recently inquired from our branch president as to why the church would not help our middle son with food ? Our middle son has Cerebral palsy from birth is not able to work but does manage to live on his own manage his meager finances from SSI etc . He recently had his food assistance slashed by 2/3 so he now receives $30.00 a month in food assistance. So the BP and Sp responded with any assistance is temporary and is not meant to become a way of life !!!!! Wow talk about a kick in the balls !!! What say the Nomie family ??
Surprising. I am surprised they wouldn’t just have a standard food order from the Bishop’s Storehouse or a grocery store gift card. When I was ExSec my Bishop was all about food orders, and would push this way before money.

Maybe talk to the Relief Society, they are supposed to be taking more of that role in the future.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:58 am

One of the big misconceptions that angers many is the idea that if you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in tithing and offerings during you life that when you may actually need financial assistance that the church will actually help. The church often doesn’t. It will help with food from the bishops Storehouse, and some other things but not real money. You honestly would be better off to have a family fund where your family contributes a tithe each month, and then when a crisis presents, you can distribute money from your own fund.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:17 pm

Leadership roulette again. I knew a bishop who was succeeded as bishop by a friend. Even though he was employed his friend ensured that old bishop's family got their food from the storehouse, kids got new coats and boots from the storehouse every year, his dogs ate church-provided roast. God's mercy can be so random.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Post by Random » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:39 pm

2bizE wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:58 am
You honestly would be better off to have a family fund where your family contributes a tithe each month, and then when a crisis presents, you can distribute money from your own fund.
I really wish I'd had this mindset when I was still a member of the Church. It would have made a big difference several times.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Newme

Post by Newme » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:34 am

Random wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:39 pm
2bizE wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:58 am
You honestly would be better off to have a family fund where your family contributes a tithe each month, and then when a crisis presents, you can distribute money from your own fund.
I really wish I'd had this mindset when I was still a member of the Church. It would have made a big difference several times.
That is a good idea. Imagine if people organized themselves and did what was right despite cultish pressure and praises!

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:08 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:17 pm
Leadership roulette again.
Wish the overwhelming tendency would be for Christ-like mercy and tenderness when assisting the temporal needs of the flock. Children, the disabled, and the elderly should never have to pick themselves up by the bootstraps. They were never less valiant in the pre-existence. However, that is a train-of-thought that cannot be uniformly instilled in the bishops. Thankfully, there are so many good people in the Church that many of them slip through and become bishops. There is still filtering for higher levels, so this percentage workaround is hampered.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:50 pm

Newme wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:34 am
Imagine if people organized themselves and did what was right despite cultish pressure and praises!
I think what would happen would be freedom of thought and action, and a happier people all round (but I'm sure the leaders would be mortified and freaking out).
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:17 pm

I wonder if your request would get more traction now.

My BIL who is very hardcore TBM mentioned If he is ever made BP, knowing about the 100 billion, he will help as many people as he can financially or with other needs (medical etc.)
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:31 am

Raylan Givens wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:17 pm

My BIL who is very hardcore TBM mentioned If he is ever made BP, knowing about the 100 billion, he will help as many people as he can financially or with other needs (medical etc.)
I have heard of some isolated incidents where bishops were fairly generous with financial assistance. In many cases this precipitated a visit from the stake president to quietly, but firmly, tell them to stop doing that. In the profoundly unlikely event that I become a bishop, I would simply tell the stake president to fire me if he thought that my temporal assistance was out of bounds.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:23 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:31 am
Raylan Givens wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:17 pm

I have heard of some isolated incidents where bishops were fairly generous with financial assistance. In many cases this precipitated a visit from the stake president to quietly, but firmly, tell them to stop doing that. In the profoundly unlikely event that I become a bishop, I would simply tell the stake president to fire me if he thought that my temporal assistance was out of bounds.
"Is this really the hill you want to die on, Bishop?"

"I can't think of a better one, President."
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:00 am

Random wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:50 pm
Newme wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:34 am
Imagine if people organized themselves and did what was right despite cultish pressure and praises!
I think what would happen would be freedom of thought and action, and a happier people all round (but I'm sure the leaders would be mortified and freaking out).
It’s nice to at least dream. :)

The masses will not blindly follow but will think for themselves and reason well and morally. All of the leaders who have been stealing from the poor, will trade places with the poorest, and will suffer in other ways in which they contributed to suffering (like covering up sexual abuse)... likely not in this life but the next. I believe in karma - spiritual energetic laws.
Last edited by Newme on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:18 am

I agree with them, sadly. I only provided temporary assistance to the church for 35 years...then I decided they were just taking advantage and now I have cut them off from feeding at my trough.

alas

Post by alas » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:02 am

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:18 am
I agree with them, sadly. I only provided temporary assistance to the church for 35 years...then I decided they were just taking advantage and now I have cut them off from feeding at my trough.
I like this. And just look, it has become generational, with many generations feeding at the member’s trough.