Wife sent in resignation letter today

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Raylan Givens

Wife sent in resignation letter today

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:04 pm

Wife sent in resignation letter today. I haven’t even taken that step.

She has gone from attending to resigned in less than a year and a half. Still feels weird, I have been dragging my feet on that step. Perhaps when my time in Scouts is up in January I may join her.

Mixed emotions on whether to do that...

All the best to everyone.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Corsair

Re: Wife sent in resignation letter today

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:12 am

That's a big step. I hope this is the start of improvements in your family. I do not anticipate my wife doing this ever.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:22 am

Good for your DW! I totally get that unsure feeling of having your name removed (even though I'm sure there's still a list we are on). We did Quitmormon about two years after we stopped attending, and after we outed to DW's mom. All the Russel M.N. antics with the POX had finally put DW over the edge and made her really hate the corporation enough to want complete disassociation with it. So now all of our kids and us are completely out and every time we hear or read about some new BS policy/revelation change, every time we drive past a temple or chapel, we are so grateful to be out!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:51 am

It took me about eight years before I made the effort to dump the church. I asked them repeatedly to stop contacting me. Finally last year, a clerk called to see if I would be interested in speaking in sacrament meeting. (I actually thought, " You bet! I'd LOVE to speak in sacrament meeting!")

But I turned him down, telling him that we no longer believed in the church and that I'd asked them numerous times to stop all contact. He kind of brazenly suggested I choose one way or the other. I think he thought, "I'll call this guy's bluff." I told him he was right and that I would take care of it, which I think took him back a little.

The next Sunday I walked into church, handed the Bishop my resignation letter and walked out. It felt a little odd because you know you're formally ending a lifetime relationship. Yep....felt odd for about a day and then everything was completely back to normal and life was/is good.

No more calls from tscc. They finally got respectful. I have wondered though if that clerk sort of felt some guilt for pushing someone further than he thought they would go. And that thought gives me a little smile from time to time. ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:30 am

Resign today to celebrate World Toilet Day!

Flush your membership right down the memory hole and then make a donation to the World Toilet Organization!

Then celebrate every year by flushing a few toilets around the house!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:28 pm

She said she feels a lot better now.

She is also the most honest and confident person I know. This fits her so well.

I think I have gained all I can for Mormonism. But, ward leadership leaves me alone, and are a little scared of our family. We actually still invite people over and are healthier than ever, imagine that!
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:30 am
Resign today to celebrate World Toilet Day!

Flush your membership right down the memory hole and then make a donation to the World Toilet Organization!

Then celebrate every year by flushing a few toilets around the house!
I like it.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:12 am

Wahoo!!!!

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:52 am

It's a personal step, and you don't ever have to do it if you don't want to.

Long before I left the church, I knew that I wouldn't want to remain on the roles forever like the "inactive" people i was constantly getting pressured to pester about the church. It took me about 6 months to resign, and that's only because I needed to tell some family members first and I needed time to do it.

That doesn't mean it's right for everyone, but it was right for me. I just don't like being bothered, and that was a clear line for all my still-mormon friends.

græy

Post by græy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:22 am

Raylan Givens wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:04 pm

She has gone from attending to resigned in less than a year and a half. Still feels weird, I have been dragging my feet on that step. Perhaps when my time in Scouts is up in January I may join her.

Congratulations! Can I ask, what was it that led to her shelf breaking and finally leaving the church? I know each case is different, but my own wife is aware of many issues and then happily declares that she just doesn't care to think about it or let it affect what she "knows".
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Do you think there will be any backlash or shunning?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:10 pm
Do you think there will be any backlash or shunning?
I don’t think so. She already has relationships with the people she wants to. Her dad resigned when she was a kid and she doesn’t care what her mom thinks.

I have more trepidation in the backlash department than she does

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 pm

græy wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:22 am
Raylan Givens wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:04 pm

Congratulations! Can I ask, what was it that led to her shelf breaking and finally leaving the church? I know each case is different, but my own wife is aware of many issues and then happily declares that she just doesn't care to think about it or let it affect what she "knows".
I think it has more to do with having a moment she tried to describe Easter to our youngest. She said she felt weird describing Christ back from the dead, especially when our youngest interpreted it as a zombie experience.

Her first step out was moving toward atheism and then that led to looking into historical issues and eventually the corporation itself.

græy

Post by græy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:58 am

Raylan Givens wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 pm
I think it has more to do with having a moment she tried to describe Easter to our youngest. She said she felt weird describing Christ back from the dead, especially when our youngest interpreted it as a zombie experience.

Her first step out was moving toward atheism and then that led to looking into historical issues and eventually the corporation itself.
Haha, I love it! My kids play minecraft and zombie talk is frequent in our house. They have not made the connection to Zombie Jesus yet though. Seeds to plant...
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 pm

græy wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:58 am
Raylan Givens wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Haha, I love it! My kids play minecraft and zombie talk is frequent in our house. They have not made the connection to Zombie Jesus yet though. Seeds to plant...
Off topic, but let's try and get our re-animated human terminology correct, for the kids, eh?

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

græy

Post by græy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:19 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 pm
Off topic, but let's try and get our re-animated human terminology correct, for the kids, eh?

Haha, Important discussions going on here! I like this too, although there is significantly less talk about Lichs in our house than zombies. That might be a harder question to introduce. :lol: