New RFM Podcast--Arguing Against the Evidence

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

New RFM Podcast--Arguing Against the Evidence

Post by consiglieri » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:30 pm

A new RFM podcast just went up titled, "Arguing Against the Evidence."

It details how Joseph Fielding Smith argued for the authenticity of Joseph Smith's First Vision in a 1960 New Improvement Era article, all the while knowing that the 1832 account he had hidden in his safe contradicted his argument.

https://radiofreemormon.org/2019/12/rad ... -evidence/

I admit to being astonished at his chutzpah!

jfro18

Re: New RFM Podcast--Arguing Against the Evidence

Post by jfro18 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:00 pm

I had a chance to listen while I was working today and this is a short but great podcast.

Well done and I can not believe that JFS had the balls to write that knowing full well he was hiding a First Vision account that contradicted his very writing.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 am

I loved the podcast, but it's yet another issue that my believing family will never dig into and understand the depths of silliness and underhanded rhetoric employed by JFS. This has become more acute in the past year with my devout in-laws on a senior mission in Nauvoo. Their group emails to family read like old school Mormonism back when Bruce McConkie set the tone and direction of LDS theology and practice.

The multiple versions are now proclaimed as further evidence of the truth of the First Vision. They are also used as a model for how we should set our expectations of prophetic revelation. Apparently, talking to God is monumentally confusing and it takes a few years and a few revisions to get the whole story out. The implied obligation is that we have to consistently forgive every possible misstep of current or past prophets, but must absolutely obey their counsel as if they still had a clear hotline to God.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 am

Consig - great episode. I love long-form, eat them up. But I had a very clear thought ("impression") that this is what we need, short, succinct and hard-hitting pieces but with a tone that our TBM families could stomach. I think you're on fish, my friend.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:23 am

Yobispo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 am
I think you're on fish, my friend.
How does one get off fish? I hear it can be a very destructive addiction. Maybe we need to sit down with Consiglieri and have an intervention.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:23 am
Yobispo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 am
I think you're on fish, my friend.
How does one get off fish? I hear it can be a very destructive addiction. Maybe we need to sit down with Consiglieri and have an intervention.
I'll buy the tacos.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:13 pm

Yeah, so, I know that my fluffly little brain shouldn't be surprised by stuff like this any more, but...

WOW. :shock:

Once again, good stuff as always Consig.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...