Hagoth goes down under

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Hagoth goes down under

Post by 2bizE » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:14 pm

In the BoM, the character Hagoth sails away on a ship, taking a group with him. If I remember correctly, he comes back, picks up a new group and leaves forever, never to be seen again. Some have supposed Hagoth ventured to New Zealand and the people of the Pacific Islands descend from him.
Question. Did the Maori people benefit from having Hagoth bring iron, steel, and other metallurgy with him? The BoM speaks of sheep, Maybe this is why there are so many sheep in NZ?
~2bizE

Palerider

Re: Hagoth goes down under

Post by Palerider » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:46 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:14 pm
In the BoM, the character Hagoth sails away on a ship, taking a group with him. If I remember correctly, he comes back, picks up a new group and leaves forever, never to be seen again. Some have supposed Hagoth ventured to New Zealand and the people of the Pacific Islands descend from him.
Question. Did the Maori people benefit from having Hagoth bring iron, steel, and other metallurgy with him? The BoM speaks of sheep, Maybe this is why there are so many sheep in NZ?
:) I'm pretty sure the British are responsible for the large sheep population in N.Z.

The other interesting thing is that the Polynesian islands were settled by Mariners from the West heading East towards Hawaii. It being one of the last settled.

Oh, and the timelines don't work for the Hagoth crew going to Hawaii either. I'm pretty sure they sailed to Japan and were slaughtered not long after they came ashore. But not before they showed the Japanese how to fold their steel when they forged their swords. ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:33 am

What if they became the Polynesian mountain people of Taiwan?

Or perhaps...

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:35 am

The genetic and archaeological evidence for the colonization of Polynesia is even more of a disaster for the BoM than Mesoamerican evidence.

LDS prophets have confirmed many times that Polynesians ARE descendants of (the other) Hagoth, like for instance, the dedicatory prayer for the New Zealand temple given by President David O. McKay: “We express gratitude that to these fertile Islands Thou didst guide descendents of Father Lehi.” Church manuals have consistently taught that the native peoples of both the Americas and the Pacific Islands are Lamanites: “Great numbers of Lamanites in North and South America and the South Pacific are now receiving the blessings of the gospel” (Gospel Principles 1997, 268).

The DNA of the Pacific Islanders tells us that they come from an entirely different part of Asia than the American Indians (Nature, 03 October 2016). Additionally, the islands specifically identified by modern prophets and apostles as being populated by (the other) Hagoth and his descendants were actually settled long AFTER Book of Mormon times, as Palerider points out. Humans made their debut in New Zealand in the 14th century AD, 800 years after Moroni buried the gold plates.

And the prophetic statement problem goes all the way back to Brigham Young, “Those islanders and the natives of this country (United States) are of the House of Israel, of the seed of Abraham,” (Journals of Religious History 8:90-104). So who do you believe? LDS prophets, or scientists with physical evidence?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:35 am
The genetic and archaeological evidence for the colonization of Polynesia is even more of a disaster for the BoM than Mesoamerican evidence.

LDS prophets have confirmed many times that Polynesians ARE descendants of (the other) Hagoth, like for instance, the dedicatory prayer for the New Zealand temple given by President David O. McKay: “We express gratitude that to these fertile Islands Thou didst guide descendents of Father Lehi.” Church manuals have consistently taught that the native peoples of both the Americas and the Pacific Islands are Lamanites: “Great numbers of Lamanites in North and South America and the South Pacific are now receiving the blessings of the gospel” (Gospel Principles 1997, 268).

The DNA of the Pacific Islanders tells us that they come from an entirely different part of Asia than the American Indians (Nature, 03 October 2016). Additionally, the islands specifically identified by modern prophets and apostles as being populated by (the other) Hagoth and his descendants were actually settled long AFTER Book of Mormon times, as Palerider points out. Humans made their debut in New Zealand in the 14th century AD, 800 years after Moroni buried the gold plates.

And the prophetic statement problem goes all the way back to Brigham Young, “Those islanders and the natives of this country (United States) are of the House of Israel, of the seed of Abraham,” (Journals of Religious History 8:90-104). So who do you believe? LDS prophets, or scientists with physical evidence?
So, You're saying there is a chance Hagoth and the other descents of Lehi floated around in boat for 600-700 years before landing in NZ.
:lol:
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:30 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:06 pm
So, You're saying there is a chance Hagoth and the other descents of Lehi floated around in boat for 600-700 years before landing in NZ.
:lol:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."