How to Tarnish Your Brand in 5 Easy Steps

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Re: How to Tarnish Your Brand in 5 Easy Steps

Post by Palerider » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:17 am

Corsair wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am
The 20th century saw none of that and so the skepticism of the 21st century is to be expected.
Makes you wonder if even the excommunication whip is losing it's sting.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:56 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:04 am
jfro18 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:10 pm
lol they have reversed course :lol:

the prophet of this church is and will always be social pressure.

https://twitter.com/VoteDarlene/status/ ... 2531816448
Well, that didn't take long.
They even used the forbidden word: apologize. :shock:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:00 am

Corsair wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am
There is the story in Acts about people dying during tithing settlement.
It's really surprising that we don't hear more about Ananias and Sapphira over the podium. It plays so well into the corporate tithing narrative.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Post by Random » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:08 pm

Advocate wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:25 am
2) BYU health insurance has terrible maternity coverage for non-student spouses. The health insurance is very expensive and the deductible for maternity issues is very high such that the health insurance doesn't help with a normal pregnancy. So a family with a non-student wife who is pregnant has to pay for both expensive health insurance and for the costs up to what a normal pregnancy runs.
3) Married students at BYU are encouraged to have babies quickly and not wait until they graduate or have a stable source of income.
This seems hypocritical to me. If you're going to guilt kids into having babies too soon, the least you can do is have college/university health insurance that pays 100% of the pregnancy/delivery/pediatrician fees.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:10 pm

You are a true prophet.
Advocate wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:25 am
I'd put money on it that the decision quietly gets retracted.
jfro18 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:10 pm
lol they have reversed course :lol:
At least, they tried to make it a quiet decision, yes? No?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:16 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:18 am
I wonder if the brethren ever feel like they are loosing control. Where once they could issue edicts from on high with little or no pushback, now they get pushback on every questionable move they make.
I would be willing to bet money that they're running scared on some level. Leaks, bad publicity, tithing down, baptisms down, people leaving, missionaries quitting.

Or maybe the 15 men in the ivory tower aren't quite as aware as the lower echelons, and it's the lower levels who are running scared, even as they try to appease their masters. (I know this sounds snarky, but I've known a few people who have worked for the Church [past tense] and this seems to be the way it is.)

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Palerider wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:17 am
Makes you wonder if even the excommunication whip is losing it's sting.
I really think it is. I'm sure it's powerful among fervent believers, but more and more people don't fear it - and some people view it as a badge of honor.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:01 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:44 am
Two thoughts on this. 1. If you have money to go to college you shouldnt be able to be on medicaid. 2. What business is it of the college to require a student to have health insurance? When I was in college no one ever asked if I had or even wanted insurance. I never had insurance while in college. If you get hurt or sick and cant afford the care then what business is that of the school?
To your point 1 -
A lot of college students have loans, grants, or scholarships, and can't really afford health insurance.

I don't know the rules on medicaid. I heard that they were supposed to be more lax under obamacare (letting people with higher incomes get on it, and not just the ultra poor), but that they resisted, and refused (that was Utah, though; I don't know anything about Idaho; maybe they didn't resist).

To your point 2 -
Ditto. It shouldn't be their business at all. If they offer insurance, students should be free to buy it, but they shouldn't try to force students to be insured.

"If you get hurt or sick and cant afford the care then what business is that of the school?" BOOM!

PK