Richard Dutcher's Films Are on Amazon's Prime Video

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Ghost

Richard Dutcher's Films Are on Amazon's Prime Video

Post by Ghost » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:13 pm

God's Army, Brigham City, and States of Grace are now included with an Amazon Prime subscription. I hope Falling eventually gets added as well. I've been wanting to see that for ages.

There are some amusing reviews by people who didn't realize that these films were "Mormon propaganda."

I'm still a fan of States of Grace especially, even if I never really bought the final scene.

Just This Guy

Re: Richard Dutcher's Films Are on Amazon's Prime Video

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:11 am

I have not seen State of Grace.

I remember thinking that God's Army was a must see for any pre-mission kid. If nothing else than because it was way more realistic about mission life any all of the church produced films on missions. It showed that missions can suck and can be very f---ed up.

It has been nearly a couple decades since I watched it. It would be interesting to look at it with ex-mo eyes to see what more life experience says.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:45 pm

"God's Army" was produced back when Dutcher was still a believer. I have never seen it, but I recall that believers largely liked it. I probably should watch it and see how my heathen eyes see it.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:46 pm

God's Army has a character that some at NOM might relate to, a questioning missionary.

States of Grace is a movie that I've recommended many times to people at church. I have always appreciated how it's edgy enough to be interesting but also includes things such as a literal application of a Book of Mormon story. I think that semi or former believers who aren't totally averse to all things Mormon might enjoy it.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:57 pm

Thanks, Ghost, for the tip. I probably have a VHS of God's Army. I also saw Brigham City in a theater. But I really wanted to see States of Grace and missed the opportunity when it was out. I do have Prime so I found it and watched it.

I actually found that movie very moving. In fact this movie helped confirm the power of myth for me personally. apologeticsislying did a rather lengthy post that among other things went into how religion screws up the spiritual power of myths by turning them into facts. This was in the back of my mind as I watched this film, and it allowed me to just go with the religious stuff from a mythical perspective and let it move me.

I see what you mean about the last scene. It was a little hard to buy into, but I bet there were plenty who left theaters in tears.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Tacenda

Post by Tacenda » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Great, I watched Brigham City recently on Prime, didn't know all of Dutcher's films are on there. Thanks!!