Whistle Blower Files IRS Complaint

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
wtfluff

Re: Whistle Blower Files IRS Complaint

Post by wtfluff » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:34 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:48 am
By the keys of prophecy with which I have been endowed, and in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I prophesy this will be a Nothingburger.
While I cannot help but get my fluffy hopes up that something like this is the "chink in the armor" of LD$-Inc. that will bring the it down like Enron... My fluffy hopes are always dashed when it comes to things like this.

Either way, Nothing-Burgers: YUMMY!!!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:46 am

If you recall there was no misleading after the church changed the donation slips and added a disclaimer at the bottom declaring that the money donated could be used for any purpose. It seems that the church is more prophetic in protecting monetary assets than anything else.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... he_bottom/

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Let’s forget about this for a second.

What new policy or much needed change will be released to shift attention away?

Please... no garments! no garments! No garments!!!!!!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:00 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:16 pm

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, YES PLEASE.

Garments are the worst part of Mormonism and a constant reminder of the control they hold over you and those you love.

And they are ugly as sin.

græy

Post by græy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Earlier I listed what I thought would be the worst-case scenario and most likely scenario (from the church's perspective) given an IRS investigation. But I think you, RR, have nailed what could be the best possible scenario for members. :)

How many fingers can I cross before it becomes bad luck?
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Out of all the things they could do to try to improve their image right now, I think their three sacred cows that they will not touch as follows:

1. Tithing
2. Word of Wisdom
3. Garments

WaPo stated that the church won't give up tithing because of the sense of indebtedness that it instills in members. Garments and the WOW also are major control factors. What someone wears and what they eat are major parts of life and how they have their biggest hooks in people.

Don't expect to see them give ground there.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:21 pm

I wish I could resign.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Listen you dummies. The Deseret News set us all straight - it’s actually a good thing the Church is so greedy and hoards hundreds of billions of dollars:

https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2019/12 ... k-goodness

They sure showed me the error of my ways!
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Has anybody seen the church rag's response to this crisis? It's a hoot. Talk about tone deaf.

I can't believe this is the response - it's great that we have 100 billion in the bank, everybody should be doing it! Uh, not everybody is telling its congregations to pay their tithing before food, clothing and shelter. Or instead of paying some of its poorer members minimum wage to clean its chapels, gets "volunteers" to do it. Or gets missionaries to do data entry. And on and on. That's how they got bank. Just unbelievable.

Not only that, but it misses the point - it's not the 100 billion, it's the lack of following IRS rules. Not much to say about that in this "opinion" piece from Mormon Pravda.

The comments section is also a riot. A fun day's reading instead of doing work!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:28 pm
Listen you dummies. The Deseret News set us all straight - it’s actually a good thing the Church is so greedy and hoards hundreds of billions of dollars:

Looks like you beat me too it, NBI!
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:28 pm

State media is amazing when it needs to try and spin a big PR disaster into a faith promoting story, isn't it?

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:45 pm

I'm thinking that $100 billion divided by 15 million members works out to a little more than $6600 each if they just returned the money portion. Remember the $100 billion doesn't include all of the billions they own in physical assets like land, ranches, farms, malls, etc.

And that would be for every member of your family, including all those deceased members they keep on the roles to bump up numbers.

Not a lot to a U.S. citizen but very significant to someone in poverty in Africa or South America. I could live with that. ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Well, even the first presidency is weighing in on this:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... h-finances

What a wonderful non-statement. Think Oaks wrote it? 8-)

Edit to add:

They say these claims are based on "narrow perspective and limited information." If you gave us, the shareholders, the full information, you think we could just judge for ourselves? Or don't you trust us?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:01 pm

That picture makes me sick looking at it because both oaks and Nelson are gawking at Eyring who was in on the EPA investment committee.
Claims being currently circulated are based on a narrow perspective and limited information.
Of course they are because they don’t disclose their finances!

Master PR template:

We don't fully understand (insert problem with Mormon church here) and the claims being circulated are based on a narrow perspective and limited information. Any questions?

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:26 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:01 pm
That picture makes me sick looking at it because both oaks and Nelson are gawking at Eyring who was in on the EPA investment committee.
Claims being currently circulated are based on a narrow perspective and limited information.
Of course they are because they don’t disclose their finances!

Master PR template:

We don't fully understand (insert problem with Mormon church here) and the claims being circulated are based on a narrow perspective and limited information. Any questions?
This is the same approach they use to every troubling issue.

"We don't know why the Book of Abraham source material doesn't match because we don't know what translation means."

"We don't know what happened with polygamy because they didn't keep many records of how it went down, but we have to assume it was from God."

"We don't fully understand why God changed his mind after 3.5 years on gay people, but follow the prophet y'all."

And on and on it goes.

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:32 pm

I dont think this is a nothing-burger to those people who are on the fence about church behavior. What this shows is a disregard for humanity. Folks on the fence see through the end-of-days justification and quickly realize what 7 billion annually could do for the world. And that the church is actively choosing not to drill those wells in Africa. Over the next few days I am going to feel out my TBM relatives, but I wouldn't say its a nothing-burger. It may not bring the church down, but cmon people, quit expecting that. If your expectation is that something is going to make the church implode, then yes, everything becomes a nothing-burger. But if your expectation is that the church will become less and less meaningful and influential in normal people's lives than this is a "yuuuge" win for that.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Emower wrote:I dont think this is a nothing-burger to those people who are on the fence about church behavior. What this shows is a disregard for humanity. Folks on the fence see through the end-of-days justification and quickly realize what 7 billion annually could do for the world. And that the church is actively choosing not to drill those wells in Africa. Over the next few days I am going to feel out my TBM relatives, but I wouldn't say its a nothing-burger. It may not bring the church down, but cmon people, quit expecting that. If your expectation is that something is going to make the church implode, then yes, everything becomes a nothing-burger. But if your expectation is that the church will become less and less meaningful and influential in normal people's lives than this is a "yuuuge" win for that.
Death by 1000 PR cuts.

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Well, looks like they have taken down the article where Andersen states “we are not a wealthy people” or at least the quote. I had bookmarked it: https://news-zw.churchofjesuschrist.org/
but it goes to a bunch of articles now. And the one I found that mentions mtng w/ Zimbabwe VP just says how great church is because they donated 20 million over last 30 YEARS. Lol. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/chu ... s?lang=eng
They’re scared. And their statements are complete nonsense. Any half brained idiot can see right through it. As far as the FP “they don’t have all the facts” BS goes- well you are exactly right. They haven’t revealed all your billions in mall/land/property assets. Let’s get those numbers too Russ.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Here is a short video to share with friends and neighbors, or to just catch yourself up on this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXOWRN1 ... e=youtu.be
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:46 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:37 pm
Well, looks like they have taken down the article where Andersen states “we are not a wealthy people” or at least the quote. I had bookmarked it: https://news-zw.churchofjesuschrist.org/
but it goes to a bunch of articles now. And the one I found that mentions mtng w/ Zimbabwe VP just says how great church is because they donated 20 million over last 30 YEARS. Lol. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/chu ... s?lang=eng
They’re scared. And their statements are complete nonsense. Any half brained idiot can see right through it. As far as the FP “they don’t have all the facts” BS goes- well you are exactly right. They haven’t revealed all your billions in mall/land/property assets. Let’s get those numbers too Russ.
Wow you’re right. I can’t find that quite anywhere other than Jfro18’s Reddit post.

They cut off and reference to the Zimbabwe site which now only shows articles back to Aug 2019.

Elder Andersen said the significance of the meeting with Vice President Mohadi was to “express to him our desire to help improve Zimbabwe.” He noted that Vice President Mohadi had made a specific request for support with the development of clean-water wells in more remote areas of Zimbabwe.

Read more of how the Church plans to help on the Zimbabwe Newsroom website.